www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

i would like to hear from pros and average players as to what there opinions are on standard plastic verses champion and z plastics, as to which will give you more distance on your drives, i almost exclusively throw z or champion plastic do the the durability of it, but some freinds of mine will only throw dx or cheap plastic stating it is the only way to get max distance, i have to admitt i did start noticing alot of local top rated players throwing the cheap plastic, i just hate buying a disc in the dx line and just when i start to get it figured out its wore out. but if thats what it tkaes to get max distance i might have to rethink my disc selection

also - after i typed this i thought about the new star and esp plastics which now might be the allaround go to choice over the before mentioned choices

so lets hear your opinions on the go to choice - is it dx is it champion or is it star and esp plastics

Views: 327

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Base plastic isn't my fav, especially pro D, but i love DX Destroyers. They are flex machines, and they are the same if I bought one a year ago or 5 years from now. They don't suffer from the what happened to the mold situations for some reason. They are also easy to replace, especially if you are at a tourney and need to reload.

That said, Lat64 Opto plastic is the shiznit. Its like iron and beats in slow, but when it does it is in the sweet spot for a long long time. I have a hard as rock Opto River that has been in the sweet spot for well over a year and still gets thrown every round.

Highly doubtful that base plastics, when new, will produce measurable distance gains over premium plastics.   The most I would concede is that beat-in discs seem to produce flight characteristics that no new disc has, and of course base plastics (DX, etc.) beat in much faster.  For a given player, this formula---the right disc, perfectly beat in---might be the distance driver of choice.

Generally speaking, the adage of "know your plastic" favors premium discs, which fly about the same today as yesterday or last week or last month.  But there's clearly a place for all of these options in the disc golf universe.

Dave McCormack, owner of Gateway, thinks the cheap plastic flies farther because of microporosity. 

I'm gonna have to agree with you dookville!! I've just recently started throwing some opto line stuff and it's fantastic!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968