www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

i would like to hear from pros and average players as to what there opinions are on standard plastic verses champion and z plastics, as to which will give you more distance on your drives, i almost exclusively throw z or champion plastic do the the durability of it, but some freinds of mine will only throw dx or cheap plastic stating it is the only way to get max distance, i have to admitt i did start noticing alot of local top rated players throwing the cheap plastic, i just hate buying a disc in the dx line and just when i start to get it figured out its wore out. but if thats what it tkaes to get max distance i might have to rethink my disc selection

also - after i typed this i thought about the new star and esp plastics which now might be the allaround go to choice over the before mentioned choices

so lets hear your opinions on the go to choice - is it dx is it champion or is it star and esp plastics

Views: 336

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Champion and Z plastic. Durability isn't the issue. I hate all of the grippyness of the DX and Pro (Innova terms) and the equivalent in Discraft and other brands. Star and ESP are the same way too grippy. I tend to hold them too long. For me its about control and accuracy not necessarily max distance because whats the good in throwing 400ft if its to the left or right. Its trigonometry if you're off by a slight angle it isn't much up close but far away it makes a lot of difference.
I love the durability of the candy blends, particularly because they stay the same for a long time and that's good when you know the discs in your bag. I use mostly candy-type drivers.

But I also try to keep a couple of DX drivers in my bag, particularly for wooded courses. I know it sounds kind of backwards to use the less long lasting disc where it will get beat up the most, but I find that DX discs don't bounce as far into the deep schuul when you make contact on a drive. And since I don't use very many DX drivers anymore it's harder to find a suitably beat one to replace a lost or beat-to-death roller, so it's okay to beat up the DX with trees.

And if it's raining, I very much prefer the grip of the DX plastic in the rain.

I also use DX Rocs for my midrange, as I like the Roc Tri-fecta in my bag: 1 new Roc for hyzer/overstable shots, 1 seasoned for straight shots, 1 beat-up for the beatiful glidey turn-over that only a beat Roc can seem to do.

I'm a very average player.
I only have champion or star/flx plastic in my bag. The only thing that isn't of those two types of plastic is my putters. Blowfly and blunt gumbputts! DX and pro plastic beat up way too fast!
Well, there's distance, and then there's golf. i think a lot of distance records have been set with DX level plastic. But that doesn't necessarily make that the best choice for a golf disc.

My bag is about 75% Star (I like the grip), 10% Champion, 10% Pro and 5% DX. I always carry at lest a couple of DX Rocs.
I have the contents of my bag posted on the blog at "My Bag". I would say that of all the discs I have thrown in the last couple of years, the ones I get the most distance out of are Pro plastic. Proline Orc, Pro Wraith, and some pretty damn fine shots with the Pro Beast. I can't wait to break in and throw the Pro Destroyer!

But back to distance vs. golf. I think it's more important to throw discs that will last, and maintain in their "broken in" flight characteristics as long as possible. Star and CH (or their equivalent) are the best choices for this.
I too find the DX plastic has its place, mainly Rocs and Stingrays for me, seldom anything else, unless its a new release. Heres a breakdown of plastic beating in, from fasterest to slowest: DX, Pro, Star, Champion, CE. That true CE plastic just dosent quit.

As far as more distance, more accuracy, etc.... I find them all to be really about the same. I personally feel its your comfort zone as to which disc you select for which shot, regardless of plastic AND manufacturer. That being said, most Pro's have told me, the disc dosent matter much as long as you know how to throw it and hit you hit your spots.

Rumors are Innova supposedly "lost" the formula to the CE stuff, where as some would say; less discs got sold cause they were indestructable. Thus came Champion plastic.

By this time its obvious I throw Innova almost religously so I wont comment on Discraft or any other manufacturer.
anything mid or putt i stick with DX or Pro i perfer pro its alittle nicer and doesint beat as fast

drivers i stick with champ and star
i perfer star when its wet
Champion all the way , by far the most durable plastic . Especially 1st run .Although my last ace was with a dx Wolf !!
I throw a variety of each. My main distance driver is the Wraith and I prefer it in Pro plastic, for the grip. Just my personal preference. I get about the same distance though with any plastic.
THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT, THIS HAS BEEN AN ONGOING DEBATE BETWEEN ME AND A COUPLE OF MY FELLOW DISCGOLFERS WHO AS I SAID ARE CONVINCED CHEAP PLASTIC FLYS FARTHER, I ALSO REALIZE THE DRIVE IS ONLY PART OF THE GAME, DRIVE FOR SHOW PUT FOR DOUGH AND ALL THAT, BUT MY DRIVE IS MY WEEKEST PART OF MY GAME AT THIS POINT SINCE A 300 FEET BACKHAND SHOT IS ABOUT WHAT I CAN THROW CONSISTANTLY, AND SINCE MY PUTT AND APROACH ARE COMING ALONG FANTASTICALLY A LITTLE MORE DISTANCE ON MY DRIVE WOULD REEEEEALY HELP IN SOME CASES

Its a toss up for grip and air friction. I love the grippiness of pro plastic. I go pro bro ya know. I grimmus every tree hit though. I recently got a star wraith an teerex and the plastic was so hard I lost 75 foot on my drive. just couldnt get em to go 

Not sure about distance but I will always have a DX TeeBird in the bag. Usually I have to buy three or four of them over the course of the summer. The one that I am using right now has actually lasted some six months and is going strong.

I'll take that bet, you haven't tried Lat Opto plastic then?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968