www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I was just wondering what disc is the best to learn how to throw first? I'm a LHBH player and have been having trouble getting any distance at all out of my drives. It's not very consistent at all either. Just wondering if there are any suggestions?

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been playing for only a couple of months, but I love the Valkyrie by Innova. I throw the Star, Champion, and Pro versions of the Valkyrie. It has taken a little time to get used to, but they fly straight with a little hyzer at the end. I throw RHBH and sidearm.
Sup, Sandman

Try a Sidewinder or a Roadrunner in either CE or Star plastic...keep the weight down to the mid to high 160's. A Valkyrie is good one for new players too.

Be sure to search youtube for videos on form, execution, etc.
I've been told that the "Archangel" is a good first driver. I'll second the "Sidewinder" in a 160-165wt. in Champ plastic. For me the Star plastic is kinda slippery, YMMV!
it's a fairway driver but the lepoard is great in light weights for beginners as for getting distance focus on your short game the distance comes the more you play and pratice and the disc the others have said are all also great first disc
but if the disc is going hard right get a light weight
When I first started I was very decent with Champion plastic. I would suggest an Eagle and a Valkyrie. As for weight... I always threw heavier weights... but if you have issue with distance, then a lighter disc would be good because it will carry the disc a lil farther.
I gotta say

DX eagle

not the greatest disc to throw when you get better, but good for beginners
well, in general the easiest discs to throw are the Innova Aero for approaches and the Discraft Impact for Midrange/Fairway Drives. For Drivers I Started out with the Road runner and always felt comfortable with that, Now since My arm has gotten better I have then switched to the Beast, then Wraith, and now TeeRex. One disc that always felt good to me from when I started playing up until now is the Discraft XL. I would say check out the XL for a longer range Driver and an Impact (Everyone should own an Impact) for shorter ones.
If you are new to the sport I think you'd be best served by starting with a good versatile utility disc and playing the majority of shots with one or maybe two discs for a while until you gain good control and can shape your shots and manipulate your release angle.

I would encourage you to get a Quest Rock-it. It is a midrange disc that is very easy to control, very versatile and has pretty good carry (distance) for a mid. Play all your shots with this one disc for about 10-15 rounds before adding any other discs to your arsenal. The traps most newbies fall into are playing with too many discs or playing with discs that are too fast (less forgiving) or too stable for their current ability.
So far every post on this subject is spot on , there all good choices for a beginner.
Good Luck
Let it Fly and have fun

Stephen9973
more important than which disc you throw......learn the x-step......most important part of the backhand throw!!!!!!!!!!!! disc golf tv used to have a great video of it online. proper footwork are the key to distance as well as accuracy. then practice, practice, practice so that it is a natural part of your game.....good luck
The Polaris LS is my favorite. Try the 160 weights I Love the 150 class lighter goes further in theory and easier to throw The DX Cobra is my next favorite. This disc will fly straight and far and beats up nice! check them out on my web site www.clearwaterdiscgolfstore.com
Lighter does not go further O_O

The more weight it has the higher velocity it can travel at

or something like that, I learned in science class last year

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968