www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I just found out from steveo that someone stole the basket from #7 at waterworks In ypsi. Could anyone give me a good reason to steal a basket????????????

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wonder if there is a way that the manufacturers or courses could find a way to put serial numbers somewhere on the baskets that can help local Police Departments to track the thieves down and help the clubs or courses get there baskets returned. Could also help in insurance claims to replace baskets as it would show that the community has a way to track this stuff and gives a good Police report to the insurance companies. Maybe engrave the numbers on the poles somewhere that it will not ware off or be easy to take off and this could be easier to prosecute. Don't know if serial numbers are currently on baskets now and if so then PLEASE excuse my lack of knowledge here.
What our park service did after we lost our last basket a few years ago, thought we found it, but couldn't prove it was ours, was to engrave CRP (Cedarock Park) on every separate piece of each basket (Mach 2's and 3's, the top and basket can be removed from the pole with enough effort). I don't know exactly what they used for the engraving, but it was definitely more than a little Dremel.
You might want to try using letter punches instead of engraving. engraving will expose bare steel and cause rust. stamping won't strip the zinc off the steel. I work alot with galvanized steel in my work and know you dont want to remove the coating. (not so important in disc golf baskets as it is in communication towers but we don't want our baskets to rust do we?)
"Quote"
"I dunno, but we've been having this problem over the last year (or so) at several of the local courses here in NorCal. My guess is that the people who do this are either A: Stupid Scum-Bags, B: Looking for Drug Money, C: A Total Loser who doesn't understand the underlying philosophy of the Sport or D: All of the above (my personal choice). We've been trying to deal with this in NorCal since a private course (Browns&Bows) was closed do to the theft of 3-4 baskets! Can you believe that? I could name names, but I won't as we are trying to deal with this issue in private.
The question becomes, how do we prevent such losses in the future?" /End Quote

Forgive me if there is a actual way to quote someone...but I am new to this forum. I just wanted to say that because these Norcal Baskets have been stolen it does not only affected the private course they were stoled from...but also all tournament players...that Private course owner was a major sponsor in our tournament and now has pulled out because this issue has not been resolved....

My thoughts are unless someone is stealing bread to feed their family there is no way to know why some would steal a basket... or break in and steal discs... I would guess for a thrill that they are lacking in their unfulfilled life.

Jen
We used to have a guy at our park who had a huge selection of discs until someone broke into his van and stole everything but his used discs (which he gives to newbies to start getting involved in the sport.) One time we had a basket stolen and thrown off a nearby cliff. We also had our practice putting basket stolen recently. Someone actually spent the time to push it back and forth until the pole bent enough to break. It must have taken hours, and our course is closed after dark, so they then had to carry it about 300 yards to get to their car. With that kind of dedication they could have welded their own from scrap metal!!! I just dont get it. Why take something so good and fun (and usually free) and ruin it? It just doesnt make any sense! If anyone ever catches someone stealing baskets or discs, let me know. I would like to fist fight them!
We have lost a few baskets in the Milwaukee area. They seeem to go in streaks. Lost 3 in a two week period a couple of years ago.

Most of the times it seems to be someone who isn't really into the local disc golf scene and just assumes that if a basket is 'lost', the parks will just buy a new one. No different than if you steal a park bench, picnic table or other public item. When the problems start, one of the first thing we do is to post up signs that state how the baskets are bought by and replaced by fellow disc golfers and then make sure the course stays a basket short for awhile. A few 'if you know who took hole #7, please tell them to bring it back so we all can play on a complete course again' type signs has resulted in us getting one or two back. via 'anonymous dropoff'.

Of course there are exceptions to the casual player who just doesn't get it type profile. When we lost three in a hurry, we assumed that someone was setting up baskets on private property somewhere and was looking to complete a course. Being a private course owner, I really can't understand that as you could never invite friends over without worrying that someone would rat you out. But if the siutation was remote enough, and the few friends who were involved were also in on the theft, perhaps it could be feasible.

I do think it would be a good idea if a manufacturer would put serial numbers on the baskets they make. It would also help if the baskets were a bit more theft proof when purchased. I can put a lock on a DGA basket and attach it to a sleeve that is sunk in cement, but anyone with a couple of wrenches can take out a single bolt and slide the basket out within 60 seconds.
We had a volunteer lose his golf bag out of the back of his pickup while he was out working on the course. He wasn't that far away from the truck, but when he came back to it, the bag and all his favorite discs were gone. Definitely took away from that 'I did a good thing today for disc golf' feeling.
How long ago did that happen?
It was etiher last summer or the summer before, thinking about it most likely 2006. Brad Wendt was working at Elver in Madison and had his bag taken out of his truck. Worst part was that it was his tournament bag, including the discs, and he basically had to start over with unknown new plastic.
Or that they make every single "practice putt" butt miss every game putt for the rest of there lives. and the basket falls on them and breaks both legs and an arm.
To prevent: I would like to see rebar being cemented in, sideways so that even a truck cannot pull it out, and cement filled poles to ruin any saws. Also, serial numbers etched into the pole, basket, and chains for easy identification if ever found, also making it less likely to be stolen.

Playing Brown Park my first few years, I remember an entire course worth of baskets being stolen. I can't imagine who it is, can someone seriously steal a basket and then go play a tournament there and look ANYONE in the eyes?

These people's heads as number plates might just stop this. They should have to do community service of mowing the course for the rest of their lives when caught, and be stripped of the right to ever play again.

I put so much effort into Waterworks and to see this happen drives me insane. Whoever stole it better hope I never cross their path.

Being as this is YPSI, it was probably stolen by a crackhead to sell as scrap metal at a junk yard.
thatz my guezz 4 chure scrap metal iz about the only way i could see if not a disc golfer but ive been asking questions around town, there are sum shady non pdga discerz around there.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968