www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I just found out from steveo that someone stole the basket from #7 at waterworks In ypsi. Could anyone give me a good reason to steal a basket????????????

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

theres two courses in the CZECH REPUBLIC. none in china or russia according to the pdga website!
I want to go play here! I bet they don't have any theft trouble.

McMurdo, ANTARCTICA 96599

Course Established: 2005 Record Last Modified: 2007-10-25 12:45:56
Description: Varied terrain includes ice, snow, drifts, heavy equipment and high winds. From #5, hook a left and throw further up into yard (opposite road to Scott Base). #9 is near entrance to greenhouse.
Ah... I would not be so quick to jump to a political conclusions. I thought this is was friendly place, free from any racial or political discrimination....
Last year I have organized and successfully run first ever Russian DG Championship. We have clubs in 4 different cities of Russia and about 30 to 50 people who play. Not much, I know, but we have only been doing DG in Russia for just 1 year!

Don't believe everything that you hear on TV or read in the papers!
"Authoritarian regimes"? Dude, have you ever lived under one to talk? Yes it is getting a bit tighter right now, but man, if you would have lived in Russia in 70's and stood in the bread line with me in late 80's you would appreciate current situation.

And yes, we don't have a permanent course yet, but it is only a matter of time. We are negotiating with a few places right now and hope to have some progress in the spring. Actually the biggest problem we face is that people will steal those baskets. And the reason for doing so in Russia is NOT to stop "American influence" but rather to sell them for metal to get extra cash. We were thinking to plant a little GPS device in each of the baskets but that will double their costs.
You will do well! The flying disc sport is so very universal.
Continued success.. and consider any way you can to get Heave H.O.E. -Basic instructions for all flying disc students, in front of your youngest generations.. and they will take off with enthusiasm!
I've noticed some baskets not beeing locked at some of our local courses so I call the parks and rec people and let them know. I hate going to a course and seeing the basket gone. First, you search thinking maybe it was moved but after that frusterating search, you mark everyone as par and move on. Kind of an unsettling feeling. I would like to catch someone one day. iT would be bad for them.
I wonder if there is a way that the manufacturers or courses could find a way to put serial numbers somewhere on the baskets that can help local Police Departments to track the thieves down and help the clubs or courses get there baskets returned. Could also help in insurance claims to replace baskets as it would show that the community has a way to track this stuff and gives a good Police report to the insurance companies. Maybe engrave the numbers on the poles somewhere that it will not ware off or be easy to take off and this could be easier to prosecute. Don't know if serial numbers are currently on baskets now and if so then PLEASE excuse my lack of knowledge here.
What our park service did after we lost our last basket a few years ago, thought we found it, but couldn't prove it was ours, was to engrave CRP (Cedarock Park) on every separate piece of each basket (Mach 2's and 3's, the top and basket can be removed from the pole with enough effort). I don't know exactly what they used for the engraving, but it was definitely more than a little Dremel.
You might want to try using letter punches instead of engraving. engraving will expose bare steel and cause rust. stamping won't strip the zinc off the steel. I work alot with galvanized steel in my work and know you dont want to remove the coating. (not so important in disc golf baskets as it is in communication towers but we don't want our baskets to rust do we?)
I think that is a good idea...What should be done at or before the time of installation is the City Park Dept. Engrave their info on each one in a location on the basket that is hard to remove without killing the funtion. If it is stolen for scrap metal then everyone is SOL. I also heard someone mentioning about filling the base installation tube from below the basket cage to the bottom with cement to help with idiots cutting them off. One other thing is the Police Dept has the stickers for bicycles that are extremely hard to remove and have a number that is designated as yours. Why couldn't they do something like that for the DG baskets...All they would need to know is the Brand/Manufacturer, Basket Style, Location and hole #. ie. Innova DisCatcher Pro (permanent) Freedlander Park Hole 1-18...That way if one does get stolen and you say it is from hole 6 they will know exactly which basket it is.
"Quote"
"I dunno, but we've been having this problem over the last year (or so) at several of the local courses here in NorCal. My guess is that the people who do this are either A: Stupid Scum-Bags, B: Looking for Drug Money, C: A Total Loser who doesn't understand the underlying philosophy of the Sport or D: All of the above (my personal choice). We've been trying to deal with this in NorCal since a private course (Browns&Bows) was closed do to the theft of 3-4 baskets! Can you believe that? I could name names, but I won't as we are trying to deal with this issue in private.
The question becomes, how do we prevent such losses in the future?" /End Quote

Forgive me if there is a actual way to quote someone...but I am new to this forum. I just wanted to say that because these Norcal Baskets have been stolen it does not only affected the private course they were stoled from...but also all tournament players...that Private course owner was a major sponsor in our tournament and now has pulled out because this issue has not been resolved....

My thoughts are unless someone is stealing bread to feed their family there is no way to know why some would steal a basket... or break in and steal discs... I would guess for a thrill that they are lacking in their unfulfilled life.

Jen
We used to have a guy at our park who had a huge selection of discs until someone broke into his van and stole everything but his used discs (which he gives to newbies to start getting involved in the sport.) One time we had a basket stolen and thrown off a nearby cliff. We also had our practice putting basket stolen recently. Someone actually spent the time to push it back and forth until the pole bent enough to break. It must have taken hours, and our course is closed after dark, so they then had to carry it about 300 yards to get to their car. With that kind of dedication they could have welded their own from scrap metal!!! I just dont get it. Why take something so good and fun (and usually free) and ruin it? It just doesnt make any sense! If anyone ever catches someone stealing baskets or discs, let me know. I would like to fist fight them!
We had a volunteer lose his golf bag out of the back of his pickup while he was out working on the course. He wasn't that far away from the truck, but when he came back to it, the bag and all his favorite discs were gone. Definitely took away from that 'I did a good thing today for disc golf' feeling.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968