www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I NEED SOME HELP ON WAYS TO FIND DISCS IN THE WOODS OR IN TREES...ANY SUGGESTIONS THAT WORK WOULD BE GREAT

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

brighter disks and better shots........we wear polorized sunglasses and look for the shape of the disk instead of looking for the actual color.
We use our height 6'5" to see in the tall grass and to reach those discs in the trees. Maybe some stilts or a ladder will help ya out if you don't mind carrying them around :P

Seriously though, try the brighter discs and keep your eyes on the disc and watch where it ENTERS the bushes. For example, I ripped one WAY OFF course yesterday and just kept my eyes on it and watched it where it entered the tree. Remember THAT SPOT and THAT TREE. Only took 20 seconds to find it. It took a minute to actually get to the disc but we still found it rather quickly.

Or just play it safe and throw with less power and more accuracy.

Hope that helps.
watch your disc all the way and walk right to where you think it is. maybe drop your bag at that spot as a point of reference.
Get bright discs...
orange is my best color
Like the others said get bright discs....but the most important thing is to train yourself to follow the disc. I see a lot of people who will turn away from a bad shot before it's done careening through the woods. Pick a point of reference and go to it.

Learn to use 'Splatter Vision' ...what's that? .... 'Splatter Vision' is used by hunters and trackers for spotting wildlife in the woods. Focus on a point in the forest and don't blink...let your vision splatter or blur...you would be suprised how good it works for spotting things...slight movements...odd colors...strange shapes, not just in front but in your peripherals. It's the same vision you would use to see those objects hidden in 3-D graphics.

In a field with tall weeds or grass....Walk a grid.

Remember, in official rounds, you got 3 minutes to find it. So don't turn away from a bad shot..and pick a point of reference.
I'm going to say a word of advice. Try not to fling 4 or 5 disc down the fairway even if you are "practicing" ( not saying that you do that ) . I've lost too many disc because of it. You can remember where your first or second shots landed. If you rip some nasty shots into trouble for the last three disc... you might end up losing a couple. When it comes to water shots.. It's really down to how bad you want your disc back. Just watch out for leaches. ha ha.
well, thanks for the advice,but that's not what i meant in the way of losing them. i was thinking more like ways to locate discs in the woods or even possibly the water. i usually only play with one or two discs, but i'm pretty good about staying on the fairway. i ask this question only because my bro and i were playing the other day and his went into the woods. i say it come down in the middle of a large tree, but didn't see it hit the ground. assuming it was in the trees, we spent a long time looking with no luck..wishing i had some kind of homing device or something....talk at ya later and thanks again

Mike Inscho said:
I'm going to say a word of advice. Try not to fling 4 or 5 disc down the fairway even if you are "practicing" ( not saying that you do that ) . I've lost too many disc because of it. You can remember where your first or second shots landed. If you rip some nasty shots into trouble for the last three disc... you might end up losing a couple. When it comes to water shots.. It's really down to how bad you want your disc back. Just watch out for leaches. ha ha.
how did you know i was so short? lolthx

donnyv said:
We use our height 6'5" to see in the tall grass and to reach those discs in the trees. Maybe some stilts or a ladder will help ya out if you don't mind carrying them around :P

Seriously though, try the brighter discs and keep your eyes on the disc and watch where it ENTERS the bushes. For example, I ripped one WAY OFF course yesterday and just kept my eyes on it and watched it where it entered the tree. Remember THAT SPOT and THAT TREE. Only took 20 seconds to find it. It took a minute to actually get to the disc but we still found it rather quickly.

Or just play it safe and throw with less power and more accuracy.

Hope that helps.
Hmm, finding lost discs. Yeah, that's common. Like a few other people said, follow the path of the disc even if you shank. I find it helpful to pick out a tree or bush that's close to where I last saw it. The other thing is to really know the flight path of the disc and how you threw it. Could it have stood up and rolled? Would the disc hyzer/anhyzer after you last saw it? Discs sometimes do crazy things after they hit a tree, a rock, a branch, practically anything. Even though you may loose sight of a disc, it doesn't mean that the disc landed soon after you lost sight of it. So knowing the flight path of a disc is important. Other than that, hopefully luck and observant eyes are on your side!
thanks!! i try to be pretty mindful and observant of where it went and try to figure out the possibilities of what may have happened if i didn't see it right away. youre're right, the discs do some crazy things!!!
Leslie G said:
Hmm, finding lost discs. Yeah, that's common. Like a few other people said, follow the path of the disc even if you shank. I find it helpful to pick out a tree or bush that's close to where I last saw it. The other thing is to really know the flight path of the disc and how you threw it. Could it have stood up and rolled? Would the disc hyzer/anhyzer after you last saw it? Discs sometimes do crazy things after they hit a tree, a rock, a branch, practically anything. Even though you may loose sight of a disc, it doesn't mean that the disc landed soon after you lost sight of it. So knowing the flight path of a disc is important. Other than that, hopefully luck and observant eyes are on your side!
It can get real fun when the leaves begin to fall in October. Those sneaky disc's slid under them and disappear. Then there's the crazy people like me who play in the winter with a foot of snow and wonder where their disc is hiding.

Anyways, good luck with finding those discs.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968