www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

When throwing all my drivers I have a average about a 210 foot drive. I have a riptide extra long driver 167, and a cyclone pro D xtra long driver 167, innova star wraith 175, innova coyote, and innova gazelle both somewhere in the high 150's that i was out throwing today and my drives averaged about 210-215 feet. That was using a RHBH throw flat.

What can I do to improve my drive distances? I have only really been trying hard and playing for about a month and really going at it the last two weeks. I use the x step and all that but cant seem to get the disc to go farther. I will say though that since i started using the x-step i have put about 50-60 more feet on my drives but want to be able to drive 250+ easy. Any tips? thanks all :D

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well... not that I can crush shots like some of the big guns... I've only been throwing for 5 months.... but when I first started I was about that distance now I'm about 300-320 and getting better. I watched every video out there (and still do), looked up every article wrote about distance (and still read them) and talked to anyone who I could stop on the coarse.

The most important thing is form, form is everything. Form lets the little guy throw with the monster arms. Make sure you work on every little thing that is involved in the throw; Grip, foot placement, pull back, shoulder placement, twist, SNAP, follow through, balance. I work on these things every day... wrist, hand and forearm work outs, medicine ball workouts.. and throw everyday. I get out 6 day a week for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours everyday.
look up ken climo power grip on youtube thats what helped me most....
other than that like stilldead said read everything and watch every vid you can
i have been throwing serious backhand serious for about a month now and when i snap my valk just right i can get 350+ but on average im throwing 300
play more and give it time and learn how each of your disc flys your improve from there
practice, That's about it. I bombed 350 the other day and about a month ago 300 was my longest. a year ago it was at 250. Just keep working.
It takes time. You have to work and work at it. I can throw 300-350 easy. I can bomb 400-450.
300 and under I primarily use a Roc (midrange). But here are some tips that may help:

1. Get a Stable Driver. Maybe something like a Discraft XS or an Innova Sidewinder. These two discs will give you a very easy "S" curve or a nice and straight drive that should give you a lil more yardage. A Wraith is very overstable and a cyclone is as well, if it is not beat in. You are new at the game, you are not supposed to be using a Wraith.

2. Your arm strength is important but what is even more important is your wrist and the snap you are giving the disc when you release it. I believe the wrist rotation gives the speed of the disc while the snap when you release will give the disc more rotation speed. These two factors, from what I gather, are key to getting more distance.

3. Practice and patience is very important. Just keep at it. Go into an open field and continuously throw all your discs as far as you can back and forth until your arm is numb. But remember to warm up first and stretch... do not go out there and just start or you are going to pull something... trust me.
ditto, and use your whole body,i know i use just my arms too much and strain muscles,have had tendon problems etc. some people are forhanding right over obstacles now days the complete distance of the hole. being versitile can be a huge asset.
well, homie

practice every chance you get
1. Get a Stable Driver. Maybe something like a Discraft XS or an Innova Sidewinder. These two discs will give you a very easy "S" curve or a nice and straight drive that should give you a lil more yardage. A Wraith is very overstable and a cyclone is as well, if it is not beat in. You are new at the game, you are not supposed to be using a Wraith.

I hope that was a typo...cause a sidewinder is as stable as I am the Pope.

The Sidewinder is very understable right out of the gate...in my bag it's a roller. It is a great disc for a new player who hasn't yet developed the power to throw stable plastic.
I bought a championship Orc 167 today and also a pro beast 170. So far I really like the champ orc and it flies farther for me. I pretty much used the Orc all day and will most likely be going to buy one more or so :D

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968