www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Anybody else over the "Star Hype" as much as I am??? I prefer Champion...

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like star plastic better, the grip/feel of the plastic is quite nice
hype? I used to like Champion plastic much better but if it was raining the least bit those suckers would slip out every time. Plus throwing clearish discs into a wooded area is not good. Anyway, my bag is almost entirely all ESP and Star for grip reasons. It's not grippy like an Omega Supersoft, but the difference is there.
i love my star plastics for grip..but I'm slowly starting to switch to FLX plastic, I feel like I can just get a hold of it better and fling the hell out of it. I'll still use my star and champ but FLX looks like the way to go
Actually I never bought into it. I couldn't understand paying more for something that was less durable but had slightly better grip. If it's wet and you need better grip, there's Pro and DX. That's just my opinion though.
less durable? you haven't used a star or esp ever have you? Props on the flx plastic Dave, i didn't like it at first but now am only using it whenever possible.

Rob Peil said:
Actually I never bought into it. I couldn't understand paying more for something that was less durable but had slightly better grip. If it's wet and you need better grip, there's Pro and DX. That's just my opinion though.
Shawn Welling said:
less durable?

Compared to Champion plastic, yes, Star plastic is less durable.
I personally like the older CE plastic over the newer Champion. The jury is still out on the Star since I only have a few of them. I'm still getting used to the different grip on them.
my personal fave are the runs of champ/z plastic that it opaque (not clear).... feels almost a blend of star/esp with z......kinda grippy and gummier than the firmer (clear) champ/z plastic.....
you havent ever played a heavy wooded course have you?
champ plastic last ALOT longer than star in terms of hitting trees.....

Shawn Welling said:
less durable? you haven't used a star or esp ever have you? Props on the flx plastic Dave, i didn't like it at first but now am only using it whenever possible.

Rob Peil said:
now that I think about it the Champion Discs don't get dents but more rough edges. I still think compared to the extra grip it is worth the money. I wouldn't say Star plastic isn't durable though. I still have yet to buy a new disc in star plastic because it was too dinged up.
Star hype, FLX hype, ESP hype ... yeah, I'm over it.

Will I stop using Star? No way. It's very good plastic. Works great for me. I play a very rough course, and I don't have any problem with durability.
I also use Champion, and I like it too. As far as that goes, I like DX and Pro too.

I don't care for the hype so we can discontinue it now.

D.J. Stop aiming at trees or whatever you're aiming at ... or maybe aim better and stop trying to throw so hard. ;)
I missed out on the hype. Star stuff is good but I don't think it is as good as the champ plastic. Get a GripRite Rosin Sack or something similar to help keep your hand dry during wet or hot humid weather. A must for throwing champ and even star plastic when it is 100 degrees outside.

One thing to think about is that the molds are slightly different depending on the plastic used. My star destroyer is much flatter compared to a pro destroyer, for example.

Last year, had a new star sidewinder and threw it on hole 2 at Mastin Lake, hit one of the early trees and now it is a taco. Would not have happened if I threw a star disc with a beefier rim though, but yes, those tight wooded courses can chew up a star disc faster than you would think. I like the champ sidewinder better now.

end_hype

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968