www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I started this discussion because, well, he is the guy that all of us are here for. Believe it or not, it's true. For most of you that didn't have the priveledge of knowing Ed, all I can say is you missed out but everytime you think, talk, or even throw a disc it's because of him. He was bullheaded, opinionated, and a gentleman. At different times, sometimes all at once. Here are two stories that come to mind....

It was the '89 Worlds in Cedar Falls/Waterloo, Iowa. I was fresh from winning the year before, and my confidence was high. However, my performance was not. This was before Kenny bacame King. I managed to make the finals, and I think I was somewhere around 9th place going into my last round. Ed, being the "spotlight" kind of guy, took advantage of the golf carts that were made available to us, and asked me if he could be my caddie (if you like golf carts, come to the Japan Open!). I had known Ed for many years, but this was of course an honor. He never really did caddie for me, as he just enjoyed the cart and all the attention he deserved. He would never let me forget this time, as every time I saw him after that he reminded me of such...His presence and inspiration helped me to get back to 2nd, and Ed, thank you...Congratulations to Steve Wisecup for winning. A great champion.

Next, I think it was the '95 Worlds in Port Arthur, TX. I had a young, beautiful girfriend at the time and Ed was a constant companion. I was talking to Ed after the event was over and we both discovered that we had similiar flight times at the same airport for departure (she had a different flight schedule). Ed said he had a favorite restaurant in New Orleans that night, and that we should go and have fun. It was fun, Ed enjoyed local oysters and so did I. Out of convenience, we shared a room and I'll never forget several of many conversations. He could not stop talking, for one thing. Also, he went up and down about the benefits of cayanne pepper on chigger bites. "Put it in your socks and underwear, and you won't have to worry" he said. "Rub it into your bites, and the pain will go away" . It sort of worked, but I'll never forget how he just could not stop talking about our great sport and how far it had come. And yes,..he never let me forget how he "caddied" for me back in "89. Ed, this is for you, I miss you my friend....

John

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Right after the 89 Worlds you speak of, Steady Ed traveled north from Iowa to visit courses in the Twin Cities and help with my first course design at North Valley in Inver Grove Hts. Little did he know that he was helping launch my course design career now at 19 years and counting. He had a great time checking out the few courses we had at the time. And North Valley became one of the earlier courses to feature both alternate tees and pins. This was following on the heels of Barnett having those same options in Orlando.
I took this picture of Ed Headrick, Tim Gill, Bud Grant (former Head Coach Minnesota Vikings), and Bud's son Danger Grant during the 2001 PDGA Worlds in Minnesota. They played a celebrity round before the finals. It was certainly a highlight to watch Ed and Bud not only share a once in a lifetime round of play, but to watch the two interact with each other during their round. Definitely two legendary Greats! I'm glad I was there to get the photo!

Bill Ashton
Attachments:
At one of the Highland Springs Opens, Lakeport, California, I was in the leader group with about 6 holes to go. I think it was Ed's 75th birthday? Well him and his wife and dogs, whippets, had taken a walk out on the course to check out the action. Ed came out and talked to us on the tee , Brett and I were locked in a tight battle so at that point we were happily distracted by some Ed stories. Then to top it off, Ed says,"I think I'm going to run back to the parking lot." We all looked at him like yeah right, including his wife, he handed over the leashes and took off running. We all dreamed of running when we were 75.
never knew him but ...
big CHEERS TO ED!
raise thy beers.
I was introduced to the great "Steady Ed" via mail and phone by Becky Powell, the PDGA adminstrator in 1995. By the way Becky was great also in helping me get started. I was re-introduced to disc golf and wanted to design a course on 15 acres of land where I taught emotionally and behaviorally challenged kids. I drew out the course and played to 6' fence post with PVC over the top. There was a laundry basket hanging upside down with a bell hanging inside to hear those long shots. It was great for me and the kids. I believe the shortest hole was 300'. Steady Ed called me and talked about recreational golf for 30 minutes. He discussed all of the advantages of the shorter courses to begin with. He sent me a course design with his drawings from the map I sent him. At that point I did not realize that I was talking with an icon of disc golf. He called and mailed me many times over the next year. He sent me 30 disc, 30 minis, the 1992 Columbus Open tape and a rules sign for my course. A great donation from him and the DGA. My students were in love with that 600' chain banging near ace of Crazy John Brooks. I got to meet him, Ed, at the '98 worlds and had a nice cold drink and talked disc golf for over an hour. I still have all of those letters and pictures of us on the course in Wisconsin. As Chuck said he laid the roots for my course design as I now have 12 under my belt. I still have several shorter tough technical shots on most of my courses. The 30,000+ PDGA members should all lift their personal beverages up to that Steady Ed designed course in Heaven and give him a big thanks..........................Everett Lasley.......................ebdiscn
I see you are grateful to have a friend with a mutual passion. This is our greatest wealth in our lives. Wish I could have known Ed but it's nice that part of his legacy will be perpetuated with you. Disc Golf does change lives, and ambassadors like you help make this happen. Thank you
I took my 2 young sons to their first Worlds in 2001 in Nashville TN. Ed signed their first PDGA cards and they got stashed in the strong box. Ed told them that they could both be world champions. I first met him at the 98 Worlds in Appleton WI. He signed a couple of discs for me and told me the story of the pole hole. A great story teller and an inspiration to my disc golf game.

Bart Zandstra

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968