www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I started playing and collecting in 1993. At the time I didn't know what to collect so I collected anything interesting. Within a few years my interest narrowed so that I sought out those discs that I most wanted to throw. So every time I picked up a new gem I hoped it might one day make it into my playing bag.

I realize now, that for maximum collecting value (which I don't especially care about), I made at least two mistakes. (1) A disc which is older and rarer has greater dollar value than a disc which actually flies better. (2) A driver is worth less than a putter or midrange (my hundreds of cyclones, x-clones and banshees-primary drivers in my game over the years-are worth little now)

The disc which I actively throw and collect is the Discraft Rattler. I have plenty of goodies to trade.

Views: 83

Replies to This Discussion

I think the time frame that was given for the Deuce was a bit off.

The Phantom + disappeared around '90-'91. The Phantoms had been made from an indestructible plastic, the forgotten earliest "candy" plastic. From what I understood Discraft could not get that plastic anymore, and since the name Phantom was synonymous with that plastic they dropped the Phantom name.

The mold was given a double lip and renamed the Deuce using standard plastic. They were always listed in the Discovering the World catalog as the "Phantom Deuce." The Deuce was in the Discraft line-up for pretty much the rest of the 90's. It was still in the Discraft print ads as late as '98. As I remember, it was discontinued about the same time as the Elite Pro line of discs was introduced. They were pretty obsolete by then and not very many people used them, but you could still get a new one until about '98.

If you have one you should hang on to it, as the design is more or less Discrafts first beveled golf disc and it is a good example of a first-generation golf disc.
I have a lot of the 86 softies in the red Butter plastic, or is it rubber? They are pretty goopy, kids these days can't get into the old plastic, so they just sit on the back shelf.
Phantoms were the discs that I started throwing back in the early 1980's. I thought it was a great all around disc. The plastic closely resembles the Z or ESP plastic. They were indistructible. Once it was retooled into the Deuce the mold was lost, Those never sold that well.
Hey Platydaddy.

Are you the Platypus Discquirks guy who sold the Roc Lobsters? I worked at a parks department where we sold discs in the 90's, and we sold a ton of those. I thought I'd kept some, but all I have is a used Psycho Clown X-Clone and a Killer Bee Pegasus. I'd like to pick up a Roc Lobster if there are still any around.
Scott,

I took a mad magazine or wacky ads approach to all of my early stamps, did you ever see my X-Clown? on X-Clones no less thanks Dno. My latest is No Time Like Tee Time. I only have a handful of the old Rock Lobsters. I might print it again if I can get Ontarios.

The tenth year of our tournament is coming up and I want to reprint some old stamps.

With 20 different stamps It became difficult to keep too many in stock. I have to thank your park for ordering the fun stuff when most of my wholesale accounts want just basic boring factory stamps.

I love putting a little humor in peoples bags.

Patyfunkapus
I had a very hard time selling tournament stamps, Flying Eye stamps and such. Mostly casual players could not tell what kind of disc it was especially if it was Innova, so they would rather buy the factory stamp. The Roc Lobster was different. There was no question what disc it was, and people thought the stamp was cool. I remember I sold one out of my bag during a tournament. They sold very well, but they were the exception to the rule.
Good observation. Normal players want stock stamps.

The Rock Lobster and Psycho Clown Sold great. Also the X-clown, to a point. I also had a Banshee and a Gremlin stamp.

Drivers come and go as LL reminded us earlier.
Tell me about it. The XL had the greatest launch...Stokley broke the distance record with it while the first runs were still circulating. Can you imagine how many they would have sold if it was like today with everybody on the Internet? News moved slower in disc golf back then, but still the XL was HOT in '98! I bought a bunch of first-runs and thought I was sitting on a gold mine. Right now they are not worth as much as I paid for them 10 years ago.

Drivers...
The first disc that Discraft released with this "tough" plastic was the Skystreak, and I first saw it at the 1983 WDGC in Huntsville. Somebody took their disc outside the tourney HQ hotel, and we took turns throwing it as hard as we could against the brick wall of the hotel. I'm sure it might have damaged it a little, but compared to what any other disc would have done, I can't remember any damage to it at all! I believe that there was nylon added to the polymer blend of the disc and that is what made it so tough.

The Skystreak was non-beveled, and the closest disc it resembled at the time, as far as the profile, was the Midnight Flyer 71 Mold without the flight rings, but that is probably not much help to most of you out there.

BTW, I started collecting in 1979, but I have sold slmost all of my collection and am not actively collecting now, but I still now, and I used to do, occasionally go through my collection and remember where I got it, or the tournament it commemorates, or just other good times.
I hear you many years ago I remember going into the disc shop and seeing proto star stamps and wondering why would anybody want this silly star stamps when they could get a disc with a cool animal picture on it! Man If I knew then what I know now!
The course I sold discs at was a pitch & putt. When I started I pulled all the reports going back two years and found out the best selling disc at that course was the Viper. There was no place on that course where a Viper was a decent option for your disc choice. I started talking to players to try and figure it out...it turned out a lot of them didn't understand that different discs did different things. They bought the Viper because it had a cool stamp.
First off, I can't tell if I'm replying to ObiwanKANEobi or Scott Kickbush (since there was no 'Reply To this' prompt after Scott's reply (about the Vipers), but anyhoo, I'm replying to Scott:

I'm curious about what kinds of conditions exist at at a 'pitch & putt' course. First off, I don't know what that terminology means, and secondly, there must not be any wind to worry about at (this particular) 'pitch & putt', since the Viper is touted as a wind fighter. Some clarification could educate me, which is always welcome!

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968