www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hey all...I'm a 16 year old Eagle Scout Candidate and for my Eagle Project I plan on putting in a Disc Golf Course near my hometown. Right now I'm beginning the process of raising the funds to purchase all of the needed equipment. Something I could REALLY use right now is video so that I can put together a DVD to show to some local businesses and service clubs so that they can get a better idea of what this sport is all about. Any suggestions? Also might be interested in other fundraising ideas if any of you have them. Thanks!

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Mike and Nick! It was a BIG decision but I believe it was the right one! It'll be ready this summer for sure Nick.....do you know about when it is you'll be coming back up this way?

Mike....I may still want to get your input on some designs.....I'll let you know for sure in a couple of days.

YES!!! IT IS ALL VERY EXCITING!!
I'm a teacher so I have the whole summer off. I can probably come anytime in June or July. I probably will be there sometime in July. I'll definitely want you to keep us all posted of the progress so I'll know if I'll get to play it or not. I'm also going to be up there in March while we're on spring break. My sister is having a baby shower so I'll be in the area for about a week sometime around March 20 I believe. If you've started on it by then I may swing by and see how things are going. If so, I'll let ya know so you can give me the master tour!...that'd be sweet!
I'm hoping to have it ready by the middle of June, but it will all depend on the spring weather. I have NO DOUBT that it will be ready by July. We'll be out there on and off throughout the winter doing the pruning that needs to be done along with a few saplings that will need to be removed. If I remember correctly the only trees that we will be removing will be some maple saplings, which are all over the place out there.

You'll definitely have to let me know when you come up in March and I'll give ya the MASTER TOUR! By then we'll also know where the other 6 holes are going to be. Right now we're looking at 3-4 other spots to add some. It'll be VERY COOL to get your input on the course before it even opens!

I'll have to check my school calendar as we may even be on Spring Break at the same time. If so.....I'll put ya ta work! (hahaha)

After the 19th we should be able to start shaping the course for the installation. That's when the Board of Directors should give us their final OK! It's to the point now that it's hard to wait!
Ohhhhh..........I almost forgot to tell you all.....If you'll all remember, when I first started this project, it was my hope that maybe 5-6 other Eagle Scout projects might spring from it to make it even a better course.....hence the name....."Eagle Scout Disc Golf Course." Anyway, one of the other Scouts in my Troop hadn't yet decided what he wanted to do for his Eagle Scout project, and we were talking this past Monday night at our meeting, and I was telling him about a couple of unforeseen things that were gonna have to get done before the course opens. I already told you that I was gonna have to build a couple of sets of steps.....but I'm also gonna have to build a small bridge to cross a small creek.....well.....more of a drainage area that drains into a creek because at times it's completely dry. Anyway.....he said he thought he'd like to take on building the bridge and maybe one set of the stairs for his Eagle project. He's gonna let me know for sure at the next meeting. That would be sooooooooo cool!
COOL! My friend IS gonna build the bridge and at least some of the steps we're gonna need.....for his Eagle project! It may be a few years down the road yet but another dad and Scout from another Troop have expressed an interest in maybe adding on to the course when his son is ready. (that may be 3-4 years off) We gave them a tour of the course while we were camping this weekend, and the dad pointed to an area across a creek to where perhaps another 3 holes could be added. Also, I think several of the boys and dads from that Troop may help us this spring!

I should receive the first shipment of baskets on the 19th (weather permitting) and then also take a closer look at where the 6 new holes will be as there will be 4-5 of us out there that day.
Very Cool! Yeah Nathan, I'll give you some input on some of the designs. There are a lot of great designers on here also if you want to just post it up in your thread. It's all up to you.

Take it easy.
That would be cool Mike! There is one more person I need to give another day or so to as she is the last one to get back with me. So far I haven't really seen anything that really sticks out at ya if you know what I mean. I gave some guidelines of what I was sort of looking for but pretty much left it wide open, but no one really....."took off" with the idea.
Thank you for your support! There is a course in Grand Rapids designed by a Scout for his Eagle Project. I think there is a set of steps on a course in Indiana as well that were done as an Eagle Project. Ferrettie Baugo is the course if I'm not mistaken.

Great choice for your baskets too. Allan Pier makes the best targets I have ever played with. I love them. They should be the standard the PDGA uses for it's guide lines.
Are you getting the baskets powder coated?
Thanks! Glad to hear the thoughts on the Spider Web 3 baskets! I've heard tell of several courses that were taken on by scouts for Eagle projects! This course will probably have several sets of steps in it before its all said and done. If you didn't see it on here Allen is one of the guys helping me with the design of the course. He and Jerry have spent a lot of time hiking around checking things out.....getting a good flow.....I can't begin to thank them enough for all they've done to help me. By the way.....yes.....the "catching" part of the basket will be powder coated a bright yellow! Gonna come play this summer? (hahaha)
Great job Nathan.I am an Open Masters player from Hartford City.I play the McCulloch Park course in Muncie a lot.Jerry designed it.He did a fantastic job ! And Allen is one of the nicest guys I have ever met.They should do a fantastic job for you.I agree with Chas about his baskets.They are superb.If I can ever help you in anyway let me know.Hope to play the course when it is ready.
They are both GREAT guys! I think that besides myself and my family.....they are more excited about this project than about any one else! My Dad and younger brother were in Hartford City last fall for the Civil War Re-enactment. My girlfriend lives in Eaton.....just down the road from Hartford City. Have you ever played the courses at Mississenewa or France Park? How about Allen's own course at his house?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968