www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hey all...I'm a 16 year old Eagle Scout Candidate and for my Eagle Project I plan on putting in a Disc Golf Course near my hometown. Right now I'm beginning the process of raising the funds to purchase all of the needed equipment. Something I could REALLY use right now is video so that I can put together a DVD to show to some local businesses and service clubs so that they can get a better idea of what this sport is all about. Any suggestions? Also might be interested in other fundraising ideas if any of you have them. Thanks!

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For basket choice I would consider the DGA Mach 3 baskets, most people agree that they are really good quality baskets for public installation (very durable) and perform their main function very well (that is to catch discs!). Sidewinders are a good beginner driver disc, so that might be worth looking into for your fundraiser program. The location you've got picked out sounds like it will make a fantastic course, keep us posted as to how you're going.
Well.....there was a 5 team Round Robin style softball tourney held today with all of the proceeds donated to my project! They even used volunteer umpires to cut out that expense. With the money raised there.....along with a little we made selling burgers, hot dogs and drinks.....I figure we made enough today to sponsor another hole!
irwinje and hootie.....thanks for the ideas on both the discs and the baskets. I want to buy the best ones that I can afford to get when the time comes. I'll do some checking on the videos also. By the way irwinje.....that's one of the big ideas for me with this course. One of the guys helping me with the design said we should call it Eagle Scout Disc Golf Course.....with the idea being that I make it as nice as I can with whatever money I can raise and then other Scouts who wish to can add to the project to help earn their Eagle award. In the end we should have a GREAT course here.....whether I can raise enough to do most if not all of it or whether it takes a few years for it to reach it's pinnacle. At any rate it's VERY exciting! I have a couple of places to return to to pick up checks, and if indeed they come through as they said they would I'll be at just about half of my goal!
You also might want to see if any schools (board of education) may want to chip in on a hole or 2 ... pitch it to them as an inexpensive sport to use in thier PysEd program.
I would be down to help out by buying a disc or two if you get some cool ones printed (I say go for the Roc in a star plastic if you can).
Bryce, I'll keep the School Board thing in mind! I'm just getting ready to send out a letter to the student council presidents at all 4 county schools to look for some support from the student bodies. Hopefully that'll spark some interest. I'm also getting ready to do a letter to send to the Fraternities and Sororities of a large college about 25-30 miles from where I live. I hear that one of the Frats has a Disc Golf Outing to raise money for their charitable work.....maybe they'd be interested in helping get another course near them.
It just seems to get more exciting every day! I got an e-mail today from one of the guys who's gonna help design the course I've been talking about here and he and the other gentleman are planning on going to the site we've picked out and placing a few of the flags around to start getting a feel for how the course will ultimately be layed out! Just makes me want to redouble my efforts to keep the funds coming in so that we can get started on it!
can we get an update on your progress?
Thanks for bumping this up.
We were fortunate enough to have the city of Charleston, SC to put up the funds for an Eagle Scout to do the same thing. We have a new course in the area that is just now getting "worn in". Since its establishment, another scout completed his Eagle project by putting in three foot bridges at the same course.
You Tube has some great video as well as ebay for some pro footage. I can recomend yard sales where people donate inventory to your church which you can sell for revenue. Maybe an aluminum can drive will be profitable?
Your enthusiasim is great and with dedication you will accomplish your goal!!!!

Cassidy Mayne said:
can we get an update on your progress?
I would approach your local LOWES or HOME DEPOT or equivalent, they have programs in place to help with projects like this. I think the idea of doing printed plastic for fundraiser is a good idea, I would also approach other civic organizations such as VFW, AMERICAN LEGION, ROTARY and the like. As far as the baskets are concerned I say both the Gateway and the DGA baskets are good to go, I would contact both companies and let them know what you are doing and see if they could help with cost cuts on baskets and help with design for a project of this size. You would be surprised of how many people will help when they KNOW its an Eagle project, I would also get this in a PRESS RELEASE so you get some word out on the project to generate interest and mention you are looking for sponsorship help for the course. As far as the name for the course, SCOUT DISC GOLF COURSE is a great name. If it was me I would call it THE OFFICE that way when we tell everyone where we are going when we duck out of work or chores we aren't fibbing about it. " No honey I'm not going to play golf....I'm going to THE OFFICE. Anyways I hope this helps a bit with your project and keep us posted with pictures and video on the progress of the course and GOOD LUCK!!
I just ran across a site that you can get cash for cell phones. cellforcash.com This may help with some fundraisings efforts. Glad to hear the sport is still growing! You tube has some great vids.
Thanks for all of the great words and ides everybody!! First an update.....When I started out I set for myself a goal of raising $15,000. Well.....after I go to a couple of places and pick up sponsorship checks this week I'll be approximately half-way to that goal! Although there have been a few disappointments, there have been WAY more positives than negatives. As far as approaching my local governments for help.....both the city and the county are pretty much broke and that appears for now to be going nowhere. (I've tried) It is my hope that MANY other Eagle Scout Projects will spring from the course. The area it's going to be in is absolutely beautiful! There are a couple of ravines that will need to have "steps" put in in the near future and there is a lot of room on the grounds for future expansion! I also hope to be able to put in a few benches that not only disc golfers will be able to use, but also anyone who wants to just go out and enjoy nature. The area is also home to a lot of local wildlife and it's nothing to see anything from Deer and many other 4 legged creatures to Blue Herons and the like. My Boy Scout Troop had a garage/rummage sale a couple of weeks ago and raised $700.00! We also have a couple of different groops now saving aluminum cans also. I'm going to try and approach a few more of the organizations mentioned as I haven't as yet treid the American Legion or the VFW. One of the disappointments I mentioned would be my local service clubs as I haven't heard a single word from any of them as yet. My nearest Lowes or Home Depot or the like is about 25 miles away. Still.....it won't hurt to check! I'll also have to check in to the cell phone thing. That could possibly be a good thing to try. Keep the ideas coming my friends! Right now I'd hazard to guess that I'm a bit ahead of schedule on the length of time I thought it might take to accomplish my goal!

Jennifer Thatcher said:
I just ran across a site that you can get cash for cell phones. cellforcash.com This may help with some fundraisings efforts. Glad to hear the sport is still growing! You tube has some great vids.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968