www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hey all...I'm a 16 year old Eagle Scout Candidate and for my Eagle Project I plan on putting in a Disc Golf Course near my hometown. Right now I'm beginning the process of raising the funds to purchase all of the needed equipment. Something I could REALLY use right now is video so that I can put together a DVD to show to some local businesses and service clubs so that they can get a better idea of what this sport is all about. Any suggestions? Also might be interested in other fundraising ideas if any of you have them. Thanks!

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How was Costa Rica? I'm guessing since I haven't heard much that the course still has a LOT of work to be done on it. I'll be in the area around July 11-19. I'm guessing it's nowhere near ready to play with all the rain you've had but I may have time to stop by and see the progress. Hope things are going great! Talk to ya later.
Hey Nick! Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this but we're spending every possible minute out there that we can. I am so sorry that the course won't be ready in time for your visit.....it is possible that we'll have some of the baskets out at that time but not be finished with the walking bridge or the tees. This springs weather has just been a KILLER for us. I'd LOVE for ya to stop by and check it all out again! With any luck at all we'll finish the 3rd staircase tomorrow night! Each of the first 2 has 37 steps and the last one will have 41.....not counting the step off or on at the top.

Costa Rica was a blast! Did some white-water rafting and some zip lining through the rainforest canopy while I was there!

How are ya at digging?
Hey man, I'm in the area but it doesnt look like I'll have a day to come over and check out the course. Glad you had a good time in Costa Rica. Keep us all posted on the progress! Any time you get a chance to get some more pics, let me know! Peace.
Nathan, what's the latest?
Hey Nick! Thanks for asking! We've been SUPER busy with the course now that we've had some decent weather! We just went back over the course re-triming, re-pruning, and cutting a few more trees out to get the fairways a bit more open. We also rented a brush mower and spent about 23 hours brush mowing pretty much the entire course.....you should see it now! All of the sleeves are set and come next Friday all of the baskets will be in! We've finished all 3 sets of stairs and a couple of days ago finished a 23 foot walking bridge on hole 5. (the first one that goes in to the woods.) What we have left to do now is the signs and the tees. I think we're now leaning towards using agri-lime for the tees as getting the help there to do concrete just doesn't seem feasible. Also money could also become an issue. I could probably try to raise some more but I'm really ready to put that part of this project behind me now. Ohhhhhhh......by the way.......I applied for and received a grant for a little over $5,000.00 to buy and install a total of 15 benches too! We'll put most of them on the course but we'll also put a few of them in other places throughout the camp.
Wow...sounds great. I thought you were going to wait to put in the baskets until the tees were finished so that no one was playing and getting in your way...too eager to play the course yourself?...lol. I can imagine. Totally stoked about the benches...that should be a great addition to the course! Gotta say I'm a little disappointed about ya not having the concrete tee pads but, trust me, I totally understand. That would have been a HUGE job and taken a LOT of time to complete. There are other alternatives, though, such as rubber tees...I've heard the rubber mats they put in horse stalls work great...that would be totally easy to install...has it's pros and cons though. Something to think about. I just know that I play on courses down here in Houston that have natural/stone/dirt tees and it really does take away from the course. Gets REALLY muddy after rain so it's a mess. Then it dries up and you have huge ruts and people spraining their ankles and such...just something to consider. Overall, though, everything sounds awesome and I can't wait to come see the finished product the next time I'm in the area! Talk to ya later!
I'm a bit disappointed about the Tees also.......but we do still plan on forming things out.....and then using agri-lime for fill. It's been used on things like infields for softball diamonds and such and hols up pretty well and water drains right through it. Trying to get concrete throughout the course just seems to be pretty daunting at this point. We'd have a few tons extra delivered and as needed buckets could easily be taken back raked in and watered to make it good as new.
We had to move the baskets from where they were being stored and just thought it best to go ahead and install them rather than have to move them yet again. Gotta admit though.....it's been fun to throw a few holes at the end of some of the days of working. Well.....gotta go.....gonna go try and get another 2-3 hours in tonight. LATER!!
Nathan, how are things going? Did you get the baskets installed like you had mentioned on here last week? When will the course be playable for weary disc golfing travellers?

We can't wait to see it, and we may be heading up that way in the next month.
We've set Labor Day Weekend as the opening. Hopefully everything will be finished by them.....if not.....there won't be toooooo much left to do. We had some people drive over today from Kokomo because they had heard there was going to be a course but couldn't find anything about it on the web so they took a chance and came over anyway. It was cool to see their reaction! Tomorrow night we'll set out the last 4 baskets and we'll begin assembling Tees this weekend. (The couple from Kokomo said it's ALREADY their favorite course)
Man I wish I could be there to play during the grand opening...good to hear that it's coming together so well!
awesome! We can't wait to see it!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968