www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hey all...I'm a 16 year old Eagle Scout Candidate and for my Eagle Project I plan on putting in a Disc Golf Course near my hometown. Right now I'm beginning the process of raising the funds to purchase all of the needed equipment. Something I could REALLY use right now is video so that I can put together a DVD to show to some local businesses and service clubs so that they can get a better idea of what this sport is all about. Any suggestions? Also might be interested in other fundraising ideas if any of you have them. Thanks!

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i think i may have found ur disc catcher .......... is this it? .......... it's a little different but may catch discs great!
Ummmmmmm........I don't think so......all of them that I have seen have had the baskets powder coated......and I think the chain setup may be a little different. Could be though. THANKS for looking Boom Boom!!! All of the baskets in that video are of the portable variety too! I would of course order the permanent ones but they also come with the locking sleeve where you can move them around to different....."pin".....placements.
What's up Nathan. Just got done reading this entire thread and I gotta say that what you're doing is great. I think it's amazing...wish more people would do it. I can't wait to play this course when it's done. I live in Texas now but I grew up in Peru, IN. I have family living all around you...a brother in Lafayette, a brother and sister in Noblesville, and my parents in Peru. So when I come up to visit, no matter who I stay with, I'm no more than about an hour away from Frankfort. Sweet...can't wait to play it. As far as the Spider 3 basket...no one makes a better one. I've played at Pieradise many times...even won a tournament there a few years back. If you've been to Pieradise, you've probably been in Alan's barn where his pro shop is. He also has all the basket parts laying around...pretty cool to see. These baskets are the best the game has to offer. I'm not sure how much they cost but they are definitely sweet. Gregg Hosfeld, after playing his 929th disc golf course, had this to say about the basket, "Alan’s “Spider-3” baskets are widely believed to be the best basket out there". I say if you can get your hands on these, don't pass 'em up...especially if they're cheaper than the other guys.
Hey Nick! I've played at Alan's once and my dad has played there twice. Isn't Alan the greatest? As a matter of fact, I'm sure he won't mind my saying so but it is he and a Pro from Indy named Jerry Suiter that are working with me to design the course here. They've both designed several courses here in Indiana and they are able to take their time with this one as there is no hurry to "get it done now". They've both been to the camp where this course will be numerous times working on a layout and it will be SWEET! As a matter of fact....Alan and Jerry are both almost as excited as I am about this course getting up and running! As they have both said....."This course is gonna have several signature holes".....and another great thing is there is PLENTY of room to add more holes later if another Scout or some other group or person wants to take it on. I can't wait for you to see it and to hear your comments on it. I'm hoping to have it playable by mid-June of next year at the latest. Also....glad to hear your comment on the "Spider-Web 3" baskets! I also think that compared to ANY other basket I've seen, that they compare favorably! One more thing.....just to give you an example of Alan's integrity.....he didn't/wouldn't tell us about the "Spider-Web 3" baskets that he makes. When I asked him why he just sort of shruged his shoulders and told me that..."he didn't want me to feel like I had to buy his baskets just because he was helping me with the design." What a guy!
Nathan, This is such a good choice! I was a Boy Scout myself, although I never made it to eagle (Made it to Life) This was a great choice for a community project. I really hope it turns out. Good luck!
Nick,

I live in TX now, too, but grew up in Indy, and went to college at WLafayette. I considered the Peru KOA as my home course, since it was the closest one to me when I started playing there in 1978. I had many fun rounds with the gang there: Alan, Kevin Mills, Mike Mavrick, Herb Salaz, and the rest. I also enjoyed playing Maconaquah after it was put in, but when all you had was Midnight Flyers, the KOA course was a good enough challenge. I can't imagine what it would be like with the discs that are out nowadays..

Nathan,

Please tell Alan hello from me, and I can't comment on Alan's design skills, since I have never even heard of Pieradise until you mentioned it, I'm sure that he has plenty of experience to draw from to help you make a killer course in Frankfort (?).
Ray.....From 1 Scout to another.....THANKS!! I have no doubt in my mind at all that this is gonna work out! I sent out my first fundraising letter in the latter part of August with the first funds coming in at the end of the first week of September. By Christmas.....with the funds that have already come in and those that we know are coming (not pledges...actual cash) I should just break $10,000 at that point. After the holidays my family and I will get back to fundraising some more but for now we're kinds sitting back catching a breather.

Bill.....I'll be sure to say hello to Alan for you. I should see him again towards the end of this month. Alan's "Pieradise" is his own 27 hole disc golf course where the first tee starts on his cement porch at the front of his house.....below his deck.

I'm REALLY beginning to get excited about what kind of designs the High School and Middle School kids have come up with for me! I've contacted the people at Innova about using their "Candy" fundraising program and told them what I had in mind with the School kids. Also.....my dad is friends with a guy who paints signs for a living (on aluminum, wood or whatever you have in mind) and he's promised to give me a good deal on signs. He also has the ability to do silkscreening for T-Shirts at his shop and I'll probably be doing some of that also......(hahaha).....sometimes more ideas than time I think!
Bill, it's cool to hear that you're originally from Indiana. I'm not sure what the KOA course is. I think it's changed it's name and is now called Honeybear Hollow...I assume that's the one because I know that course has been there the longest. Yeah that's a pretty short course for today's discs but a fun course to play...especially at night...it's a blast. They've recently added more holes to it out in the open field but even they aren't that long. What part of Texas do you live in? It's cool that you went to school in West Lafayette...I went to Purdue there for 3 semesters before transferring to another school in Iowa. I've played disc plenty of times with Mav and Herb...haven't played much with Alan but his private course is very cool. I don't think I know Kevin Mills though. I grew up playing Maconaquah and didn't really play the other three area courses until I was old enough to drive. Before I could drive, I could ride my bike to Maconaquah...I know that course like the back of my hand...good to hear from ya.

Nathan, yeah Alan is a really great guy. I don't know him real well but I've only ever heard good things about him. Once, I even got to play his course with his golf cart...deluxe! He's done so much for the game...really awesome. Hey, just out of curiosity, how much does he charge for his baskets? If you have shirts or discs printed, I'd be interested in buying some to help the cause...just let me know. Peace.
Tell Alan to send Jeff Homburg one of his baskets to get PDGA approval. I accidentally met Alan and his wife at Burger King during Worlds and we talked about finally getting his basket approved. He said he would consider it so hopefully he'll follow through.
Nick,

I live in Dallas. Where r u in TX?

Yeah, I think the HHollow course is the old KOA. You turn north into the property, and stop at the store/office to pay. It had a pool over to the left of it, IIRC. You then drove east past the parking slips to get to the course. Clyde was the owner back then. Kevin Mills moved away around 1990, I think.

When you played with the core group, were they still using "drill bits". If so, you know what I am talking about.

" I grew up playing Maconaquah and didn't really play the other three area courses until I was old enough to drive..." Thanks, I feel a little older today, but at least I was a teenager when I started playing there!

Nathan,

When you speak with Alan, ask him if he remembers the old Pipe Creek tournament. I have an old black and white pictures of all the competitors, and I'll try and get a scan of it and post it in "My Bag"
Nick.....Don't quote me on this but I believe that Alan is asking $350.00 for the permanent model and $325.00 for the portable one. This price includes the locking sleeve at the bottom to make them movable to different pin placements and also the number of the hole on top of the basket. Also, the basket part of the target comes already powdercoated a bright yellow. I truly believe they are AT LEAST as good as any other basket. All of that PLUS the idea that he lives close by and will deliver them to me himself saving me the shipping costs has me REALLY leaning towards purchasing his baskets.

Chuck.....I'll definitely say something to him about getting one to Jeff Homberg for approval.

Nick.....I'll be sure to mention the Pipe Creek tourney to him just to see his face light up! I'll have to check when you get it scanned and print off a copy to give him.
I know Alan isn't much of a computer person so you may need to print out this form for him to send with the basket. It is a $350 fee.
http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/TechStandTargetCert.pdf

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968