www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hey all...I'm a 16 year old Eagle Scout Candidate and for my Eagle Project I plan on putting in a Disc Golf Course near my hometown. Right now I'm beginning the process of raising the funds to purchase all of the needed equipment. Something I could REALLY use right now is video so that I can put together a DVD to show to some local businesses and service clubs so that they can get a better idea of what this sport is all about. Any suggestions? Also might be interested in other fundraising ideas if any of you have them. Thanks!

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's Nathan again...While we're sorta on the topic...is there a certain brand of Target/Basket that most of you prefer to see on a course? Any and all tips will be considered as I get ready to put this course in.
I guess maybe I should add that I am working with a couple of Disc Golf Pros who are helping me design this course and that it will be put on a piece of land that was formerly a Girl Scout / Boy Scout camp. It has a creek running through part of the property and a couple of small lakes / ponds also on the property. Parts of it are heavily wooded and parts of it will have long and short wide open fairways. Some flat lands along with some rolling hills and one fairly large hill that has a lodge at the top of it. At any rate, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Hey Nathan, It's great that you are putting together plans for a disc golf course near your hometown. It's also REALLY great that you have a couple pro's to help you out every step of the way to make sure that this course gets great buzz and good course design. I don't think the videos off of the web will be at a high enough resolution to use for your DVD montage. I would say the best bet would be to record local footage of disc golf events around your area. If you do use videos from the internet, try to get the highest quality possible.. There's plenty of video editing software packages out there that are free to download.

From what I read it sounds like you have a solid place to set up a great course. Good luck to you and your Eagle Project.
Thanks Mike!
In tonights newspaper, (Tuesday Sept. 2 .....Frankfort Times), They have a story about my project. All in all it's not too bad of a report. The guys that are helping me with the design are almost as excited as I am! They absolutely LOVE the land that it's going to be on. They think that if we can pull this off that it's not out of the question for there to be tournaments held there. One of the best things about it is that it's pretty much just a camp unto itself. They still have camping there for anyone who wants to, VERY INEXPENSIVE TOO, (I might add). There is also a VERY NICE observatory on the grounds. Not like most of you are probably thinking about, but we do have several EXCEPTIONAL telescopes there. Now then....about those ideas and which baskets are preferred......???
I like the looks of the DGA Mach 3 baskets.. But most of the baskets that I see at my local courses are the Innova Pro DISCatcher basket. I believe a lot of people choose the DISCatcher because it's the easiest to see from the tee with it's yellow band across the top. As far as fundraising events to get the funds to put on such a project.... I would say go to the local disc golfers in your area.. possibly tournament directors and see what you can work out to get the ball rolling. I do know Innova has a Cany Fund Raising Program but you might want to look into how it works as far as funding. I wish I could tell you. Good luck!
Thanks again Mike! I like the looks of the Innova ProDiscatcher also. But, another thing I have working for me on this project is that a very good friend of the family also has a powder coating business, and if I decide to go with something else he'll powder coat my choice of basket at a very reasonable price. So that's one of the big reasons I was curious about basket preferences. The problem with going to see my local Disc Golfers is that there really aren't very many. At least not REAL close. An hours drive or so maybe, but that can be tough to do since I'm still in school.
congrats,,, thia is a very cool thing your doing,, look into John Houck's sights he has put together some vety nice courses and prob. wouldnt mind giving a few pointers,, disccatchers are really great baskets,, also a good course will have 6 right hand holes 6 left hand holes and 6 allaround,, try to make it simple is also a big thing,,good luck
Thanks for the pointers lance! If I can just get the money together it should be a course for all types of players.
Just kind of a little update..... As some of you know or can tell by my first post that I'm trying to raise the money needed to install a Disc Golf Course near my hometown. Well I'm really just getting started with my fundraising.....and as of right now I think I've raised enough for about 7 holes already.....so at the very least it's looking very promising so far. I'll keep you updated from time to time on how it's going.
Thanks man. I pop my head into this discussion from time to time to see any updates on your Eagle Scout Project. Best of luck to you. Did you by any chance check out the Candy Fund Raising program that Innova has?
I was just on their site a couple of minutes ago and my parents and I are gonna check into it a bit further. Right now we have "a lot of irons in the fire" but when things slow down just a bit we may give it a go. It may be something I can get some help with as though my entire county only has a population of somewhere around 35,000 people or so, there are 4 school systems. I'd like to be able to try and get Disc Golf Clubs started at all 4 of them and with help in selling candy, maybe each system could help either sponsor a hole or help in maybe buying some benches or something. We'll give it some time and see where it goes.
Ok.....I'm getting ready to wrap up one fundraiser either this weekend or next.....depending on the weather.....and am beginning to take a look at Innova's Candy Fundraisor Program. I'm hoping to get my High School Graphic arts class involved and maybe the same type of classes at the other 3 High Schools in my county....maybe sharing some ideas with them on what I'm looking for..... and then choosing a winner to have their design stamped on some discs to sell to help raise money. What I hope to get from all of you is some input on which disc or discs have you found that you just can't do without or whatever.....as this will be something new to my area and I want to be sure that whoever buys them ends up being happy about their purchase.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968