www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

This is so random but I was thinking about this while traveling the other day. Are holes measured from the front of the teepad to the pole in the middle of the basket or the front of the basket itself?

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I always thought it was from the front of the teepad, or kick plate. Dunno for sure. Maybe there should be a universally accepted rule of thumb for this or something?
I thought it would refer to the distance from the middle of the tee pad, but I really don't know. Another distance question I have is how do course designers treat doglegs when they list distances? Do they measure in a straight line as the crow flies, tee box to basket, or measure up the middle of the fairway to the middle of the dogleg, and from there straight on to the basket?

I agree that there should be a rule of thumb.
There's no need for more accuracy than the nearest 5 feet because you have up to 3m (~10ft) back from the front of the tee for releasing your throw. On doglegs, the proper way to measure it depends on whether the shortcut is truly a legit route for the skill level of the players the tee position is designed for. If it's gold level tee for top players, then maybe several of them can go over the top and you might have to estimate the straight line distance or use GPS. However, for wooded doglegs, just follow the fairway route. Designers usually measure about 5-10 feet into the fairway from the trees that define the inside edge of the dogleg as we measure around the corner.

One thing to remember in the woods is that when you take your stance, the line of play is still on a line thru your mini from the basket. So if you haven't made it to the corner of the dogleg, the proper stance for you might be to the side of your mini rather than behind it. That can sometimes give you a little better angle to get around the corner on your next throw.
How is the 30 foot putt rule measured? From the middle of the basket or front of the basket?
The putting range is measured 10m (32' 10") out from the pipe, not the lip of the basket. The edge of your marker disc that's away from the basket must be beyond 10m if you want to "putt jump."
So what about holes with multiple routes?
What do we measure?
For instance on my own course I'm opening up a tunnel-hyzer ace run (a shorter route over swamp alder marsh) on a hole that has always been two big anhyzer shots around a wooded corner to the putting circle. The smart three through the fields is nearly 400'. The ace-possible route is about 275'. Direct line about 260'
I believe the right thing to do is to inform the players of distance via each distinct route as well as a direct line measurement to the goal. Scorecards don't have enough space usually, so this info should be on a Tee sign.
But then what do we put on the scorecard?
Coming from someone who has measures or helped measure the 'official' distances on 3 course, I can tell you that they are all measured very different. I try to laser to a landmark from the front of the tee, and on and on until the basket, down the main fairway that the hole was designed to be thrown on. Never measure tee to basket-in a straight line throught the woods because that would be very irrelevant. Some people use wheels, which will measure hills and bumps and be innacurate in their own way.
Re: Measurement in General:
I've used laser range finders from the front of the teepad. Worrying about distance from basket to pole is insignificant because it amounts to a little over one foot over what, 300ft? That's an error of less than 1%, where less than 5% would likely go unnoticed.

On whiteball courses, they'll measure distances from an official teepad marker (normally a colored stone sunk into the ground) to the front of the green. If they measure differently, it'll be noted on the score card.

Re: Doglegs:
I've created course maps before, and what you do is measure how you mark it on the map. Always draw a line that shows how you measured the course, not how you imagine people playing it. Do the golfers a favor and put the actual distance to the basket from those dogleg points too. They'll appreciate the added detail.
When we've setup alternate tees for various coures, we just GPS it from the tee pad to the pin...straight line. I know this may not be the best way, but it keeps things consistent

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968