www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Any ideas on a disc golf related internship or job I could find? I'm studying physical education in college and want to end up working in the recreational/ outdoor leadership/ camping industry most likely. I love disc golf and figured I should see if I can make an internship out of it! Let me know if you know of any possibilities! I really appreciate it. Keep huckin.

Jayne

Views: 20

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jayne,

I am looking into doing a masters dealing with disc golf. I came up with the idea when while I was putting together a presentation for the local parks department to get a new course put in. I came to the condclusion that nobody has really tracked how many people play a given course every day. Since park department budgets are tied to usage of the park, knowing how many disc golfers use the parks and having the numbers to show it, would be very valuable for anyone trying to establish a park in their community. Maybe you can set up an internship/independant study with your advisor and local parks department to track the amount of play in the Twin Cities area. Bill Ashton is a Twin Cities area disc golfer that has quite a bit of experience putting new courses in and dealing with the parks department.
Trevor, I think that is a good idea. I have, for years, wished that I had the time to track user stats for some courses around Ann Arbor. Someone interested in a career that is related, could probably create valuable knowledge and get some attention at the same time by creating and testing a methodology for doing that.

Personally, I think that there is a very good chance that there are *more rounds of disc golf* players in the US each year, now, than there are *rounds of ball golf." My son, Ben, pointed this out to me once when he came home from a long weekend playing disc golf and said, "Dad, I played more rounds this weekend than most ball golfers get to play in a year." And he was probably right.

I know that there are 7,700 or so US-based ball golf courses, as compared to maybe 2,000 disc golf courses, but that's not the whole picture. We, disc golfers, play a *lot* more frequently.

Jayne, Trevor, and anyone else interested in this: I just created a private club called "DG Course Usage Stats Project." If you are interested in talking and perhaps working on such a project, please request an invitation. I think that this might be something useful to support all of disc golf that discgolfersR.us could help to make happen.
I know several people who are disc golf addicts that have gone to work in their local park and rec departments. The recently retired Alan Beaver has made a career out of it in Charlotte, NC and his dedication to growing the sport has resulted in amazing courses and growth throughout the Carolinas. Also, the major manufacturers often have info booths or some similar display at state/regional and national Park and Rec trade shows of which it seems like there is one every other week in the off-season. I'm sure the company reps aren't always crazy about having to travel so much but it's a necessary evil.
Thanks Trevor, Terry, and Bill. Keep those ideas coming. Right now it's looking as this would have to be something I would be doing during the school year seeing as I will most likely be somewhere unbeknownst to me this summer. Plans to play disc and make it to Am Worlds are quickly falling apart, which is disappointing. The way things are going I will be getting a lot of putting and field work in but not many rounds if any, depending on where I am... unless of course someone wants to pay me to collect data and make sweet looking charts and such all summer long ;) Haha.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968