www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Northwest Disc Golf Series

We are on a mission to bring the Northwest together again as one giant force. The close friendships between states that came from interstate competition. The many fond memories of the Northwest Series. We believe it’s finally time to utilize peoples strength by building a network that can better facilitate Disc Golf’s main stream growth.

The Northwest Disc Golf scene has been growing exponentially the past few years. With these new players comes the need to match the growth on a structural level. The need for new courses to a alleviate stresses put on existing layouts. New clubs and organizations to structure events for these new players. A matched commitment from various regions to come together for a greater purpose.

Disc Golf offers a great form of low cost recreation during these unsure economic times . New players can buy an Innova Discs starter pack for relatively the cost of one round ball golf. The possibility for development is abundantly clear everywhere you look. Disc Golf is very unique in the fact that a course can be achieved on otherwise unusable land. It also takes very little cost to build infrastructures compared to other sports. For example, soccer fields have been known to cost upwards of $500,000. Competition level Disc Golf Courses can be built with less than $10,000. Most of which can be raised with some local support.

Priority number one is to gather the resources that are needed to take Disc Golf to a higher level. Working together to build new courses and foster new players. We are by no means saying that these steps are not already being taken. It is our belief that by building an Alliance of great minds it can only strengthen these efforts. Calling upon our members to offer up their particular skill in order to get our goals done in the easiest way. It only makes sense to spread out the work load to those who can offer their help.

The plan of action outlines our main goals for the 2009 NW Series. The steps that can be taken to make any event a success for future years. It is important to go through all the proper channels when planning an event. Having an organization to build a NW Tour will only help attendance at all events. Keeping detailed financial records to make everything as transparent as possible is also very important. The events that are already established were selected for their reputation as being very well ran tournaments. We have seen a real possibility for growth in these regions and wish to help develop these outstanding events.

The first year of the NW Series is going to no doubt be a trying period. It will test our ability to come together for the betterment of Disc Golf as a whole. We need to start gathering members who can help shoulder some of the load. Like any Series we are going to do our best to organize only the best events possible. Testing the pros to their limits while keeping it fun for the amateurs. Great focus is going to be taken in helping layout tournament courses that are as unique as they are challenging.

All of the $3 player fees that are gathered from the NW Series will go directly back into the Series. $2 will go directly into the Series Finals payout and the other $1 will go to Series administrative fees. Great care will be taken to document and display all expenses that are associated with these fees. Any money that is left over in the administrative fund will roll directly into the Series Finals payout. This is where issues have arose in the past due to poor record keeping. The NW Series is going to be a player based series. All the inner workings are going to be immediately made public record. Please feel free to ask any and all questions you may have on these fees.

The plan is for 2 events in Washington,

-Windy River Open, April 18/19th
-Steilacoom Spring Classic, May9/10th

4 events in Oregon,

-Emerald Valley Open (Eugene), June 13/14th
-Umpqua Valley Championship (Whistler‘s Bend), August 15/16th
-Lava Launch (Mt. Bachelor), Aug 29/30th
-Northwest Disc Golf Championships (Milo McIver) Sept 25/26th

With The Oregon State Flying Disc Overalls scheduled for Aug22/23rd, the weekend between Umpqua Valley and Lava Launch. This is the best time we have found to run this event and is going to make for a long late summer tour. We would like existing July events to keep their dates unobstructed and allow player's to travel for the World Championships.The goal is to make this a premier Overall event that will draw Frisbee players from all over the world.

Players will need to make one event in Washington and two events in Oregon to qualify for the finals payout. The option to play all 4 PDGA events and the Oregon Flying Disc Overalls will also qualify players for the finals payout. This will help players make their choices when it comes to the many events that will be offered this year. Having both of the Washington events so early in the year doesn’t give some players time to schedule them in. If you don't play a Washington event and wish to qualify for the NW Series finals payout you must play all 4 of the Oregon NW Series Events AND the Oregon Overalls. Please ask any questions you may have for this policy.

Final standings will be the result of each players sum of their top 3 Series finishes. With a 100 point scale being used for points. 100 points for first place, 99 for second, 98 for third and so on.
Ties for Series Final top 3 places will go to a playoff. No points will be awarded for number of events played. We believe this skews the final standings for some players who may not be able to attend all event. If you play in 3 events those will be your 3 totals. If you play in more events then your 3 highest places will make your total. Please ask any questions you may have on this points system.

Every effort is being made to gather the sponsor that are needed for a series of this size. The more we can gather will only strengthen these events status as premier events to attend. In just a local effort for our Ice Bowl gather more than a dozen sponsors. We must get an organized effort to put forth a marketing plan. Having the literature available to show sponsors a real investment opportunity in Disc Golf. That is after all what most companies will base their decision on. Does Disc Golf offer the demographic that their product is marketed toward? The answer is always going to be yes when it comes to Disc Golf. We can show such a diverse player base with players from all different walks of life. Please get in touch with us directly if you have ambition to help gather sponsorships.

Northwest Series merchandise will be available for sale at each event. Detailed accounting of all transactions will be kept for every event. It is going to be offered as a fundraising opportunity for each area club. 2/3 of the profits from cash sales and script redemption will go directly toward the event. The remaining 1/3 is going to help raise a working balance for future NW Series merchandise. Running The Emerald Valley Open and The Oregon Flying Disc Championships will be focus of The Northwest Alliance. Each of the other 5 events will offer the merchandise profit sharing opportunities. More clarification will be available. Please contact me directly if you would like to speak more about this. I am in the process of drafting up all the appropriate literature.

Here again is a list of the NW Series Dates:
1. Windy River Open: April 18/19th
2. Fort Steilacoom Spring Classic: May 9/10th
3. The Emerald Valley Open: June 13/14th
4. Umpqua Valley Championships: Aug 15/16th
5. Oregon State Flying Disc Championships: Aug 22/23rd
6. Lava Launch: Aug 29/30th
7. Northwest Disc Golf Championships (Finals): Sept 25/26th

Thanks for everyones support I look forward to working with all of you this year. More information is coming as soon as possible.

Namaste,

Andrew Rich
Northwest Disc Golf Alliance

Views: 45

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

$3 for a tourney, I'm all over that. Are they going to all be PDGA Sanctioned events? For that much I'll run and get my PDGA membership so that I can get a ranking. I can get all 5 tourneys for the year done without breaking the bank!!!!

I also like that no ONE is making the money off the events. Clubs can make money selling goods and Private vendors can't come in and steel from clubs trying to make money (At least that's what I got from the post).

GREAT IDEA ANDREW!!
The $3 NW Alliance fee is only going to be an inclusion to a much higher entry fee. Payouts depend on entry fees to have sufficient funds. We are not concrete on the entry fee level but it will be much like past tournaments. With Amatuer costing around $35, Advanced $45, Pro $75.

These are definitely going to be PDGA Events. Players will need to have their memberships current or must pay the $5 non-PDGA member fee.

Private vendors are going to be welcome in the NW Series. Terms are being drawn up to allow for other disc and clothing merchants to setup. Sponsorship of the event, both cash and/or merchandise, will be mandatory to allow vending.

We are going to obtain all the proper permits for vending merchandise. This will carry with it many local and/or state fees. We are looking at various possibilities such as allowing vending only at the player's party and award ceremony. Holding these activities at a local restaurant for example would allow for more relaxed environment.

There will be profits made at these events there is no doubt. Great lengths are going to be taken to document all tournament related expenses and finances. It will aid in our future abilities to develop Disc Golf projects. Everything seems to costs money these days. This budget will allow us to function more efficiently.
I see, so the NWDGA is like a mini version of the PDGA? Will we get Bag Tags or anything like that? Also, what is the breakdown of the entry fees you have listed. I realize these aren't finalized but if they were How much of each entry would go to pay out, tourney fees, etc?

Where can I get a full list of what benefits I would get as a member of the NWDGA? Do you have a website I can look at?

As for the Sponsors I guess I miss understood. My vision, based on your post, was that clubs who were a part of the NWDGA would have exclusive rights to fund raise at these events. That made sense to me as it would further the sport as a whole not individuals looking to profit. This would allow clubs to make money in venues where normally they wouldn't have a chance due to being unable to compete with vendors placing volume orders and undercutting what the clubs are able to charge in order to make money.

Good Info, Thanks Andrew

Pure Disc Golf dot Com said:
The $3 NW Alliance fee is only going to be an inclusion to a much higher entry fee. Payouts depend on entry fees to have sufficient funds. We are not concrete on the entry fee level but it will be much like past tournaments. With Amatuer costing around $35, Advanced $45, Pro $75.

These are definitely going to be PDGA Events. Players will need to have their memberships current or must pay the $5 non-PDGA member fee.

Private vendors are going to be welcome in the NW Series. Terms are being drawn up to allow for other disc and clothing merchants to setup. Sponsorship of the event, both cash and/or merchandise, will be mandatory to allow vending.

We are going to obtain all the proper permits for vending merchandise. This will carry with it many local and/or state fees. We are looking at various possibilities such as allowing vending only at the player's party and award ceremony. Holding these activities at a local restaurant for example would allow for more relaxed environment.

There will be profits made at these events there is no doubt. Great lengths are going to be taken to document all tournament related expenses and finances. It will aid in our future abilities to develop Disc Golf projects. Everything seems to costs money these days. This budget will allow us to function more efficiently.
Affiliate clubs WILL have the right to vend at NW events for sure. That does not mean we are going to turn away sponsorships. I look forward to opening yours and everyones eyes to a new way of doing things. If these merchants want to come out and vend it is going to cost a minimum cash donation AND merchandise for the event. This support helps make good events great. It is going to be a choice if they feel they can expose their business enough to have it make fiscal sense. By no means are we going to let people just come put up shop without lending a hand to the event.

If there is any under-cutting to be done it will more than likely be by the NWDGA. I'm pretty confident we will do fine while still supporting other companies. That's how you gain sponsorships. If you wanted to keep exclusive rights to everything then you would need the capital to pay for everything. Sponsors help alleviate some of these expenses and stress.

Some people believe that a Disc Golf tournaments can be a get rich quick scheme. It is true there usually is a lot of money being thrown around at quality events. The NWDGA is going to be different in the fact that we are going to come in and support the area clubs. Not simply come in with our merchandise, take our profits, and head home. The clubs are going to be making a tidy profit to run and grow future events. I have started to study with a CPA with this in mind. The NWDGA is going to keep the working balance for all clubs in the series. Requests will be made for use of these funds for future events and endeavors. We are open to all kinds of ideas to help develop Disc Golf. Not just running tournaments and selling merchandise. Building your recreational base is important for future generations. We feel this is the best way to ensure proper use of these funds.

Detailed documentation will be made public record after all events. With explanations of what the money was used for when that time comes. Tournaments can be very large and stressful events. No TD wants to field budget concerns he monday after a tournament. A policy will be in effect for documentation of all event finances. This will be made public no more than 7 days after the finish of the event.

I for one am saddened we don't have more high caliber events in the area. This is going to change under the NWDGA. A-Tier events in the Series will only draw in more players from outside the Region. B-Tiers are great but have become a bit redundant. The bare minimum is sometimes done just to throw an event together in a hurry. Which is always better than nothing at all. We appreciate everyones help who has run events in the past. They are no doubt a large under-taking. I would love to have every single NW Series event be an A-Tier. It is going to take matched efforts from all these NW micro-regions.

It is our belief that a higher standard of events is due in the area. That is exactly what we intend on delivering. Tournaments that offer proper documentation of all finances involved. Which always seems to become the issue at hand.

Eventually we are going to have to split the weekends into Pro and Am. That is where the affiliate clubs are going to come in strong. We will need much support to run events of this size in the future. 2009 is merely a stepping stone on our climb up the mountain. I hope to build the structure needed to do these plans in the future.

We are going to develop Disc Golf in the region with the NWDGA. We can achieve this while turning a profit to build the NW series and NWDGA from the ground up. It takes money to make money. It is our hope that people will see the good we are doing and start supporting the NWDGA's efforts.
That was a Great answer to how the Sponsor Vendor issue is going to be addressed. I'm still interested though how exactly the Entry fees are going to be broken down. Lets Take the Windy River Open for Example. The Event is April 18'th and 19th. What are the entry fees? What exactly is the breakdown on where those entry fees are going. I would expect that "Some" of the fees are going to the local club and the rest to the NWDGA alliance, is this correct? Also exactly how much is going where?

Also, If I were interested in Vending for this Event Exactly what do I need to do to obtain sponsorship and the actual ability to vend at the event?

I was able to find the event on PDGA.COM but there is really no information there other than the name and date and of course the TD's info. Do I talk to the TD Kaleb or to you as the NWDGA?

Also to be sure I understand, The $3 fee is separate from the actual entry fee to the tourney NOT included is that correct?

Affiliate clubs WILL have the right to vend at NW events for sure. That does not mean we are going to turn away sponsorships. I look forward to opening yours and everyones eyes to a new way of doing things. If these merchants want to come out and vend it is going to cost a minimum cash donation AND merchandise for the event. This support helps make good events great. It is going to be a choice if they feel they can expose their business enough to have it make fiscal sense. By no means are we going to let people just come put up shop without lending a hand to the event.

If there is any under-cutting to be done it will more than likely be by the NWDGA. I'm pretty confident we will do fine while still supporting other companies. That's how you gain sponsorships. If you wanted to keep exclusive rights to everything then you would need the capital to pay for everything. Sponsors help alleviate some of these expenses and stress.

Some people believe that a Disc Golf tournaments can be a get rich quick scheme. It is true there usually is a lot of money being thrown around at quality events. The NWDGA is going to be different in the fact that we are going to come in and support the area clubs. Not simply come in with our merchandise, take our profits, and head home. The clubs are going to be making a tidy profit to run and grow future events. I have started to study with a CPA with this in mind. The NWDGA is going to keep the working balance for all clubs in the series. Requests will be made for use of these funds for future events and endeavors. We are open to all kinds of ideas to help develop Disc Golf. Not just running tournaments and selling merchandise. Building your recreational base is important for future generations. We feel this is the best way to ensure proper use of these funds.

Detailed documentation will be made public record after all events. With explanations of what the money was used for when that time comes. Tournaments can be very large and stressful events. No TD wants to field budget concerns he monday after a tournament. A policy will be in effect for documentation of all event finances. This will be made public no more than 7 days after the finish of the event.

I for one am saddened we don't have more high caliber events in the area. This is going to change under the NWDGA. A-Tier events in the Series will only draw in more players from outside the Region. B-Tiers are great but have become a bit redundant. The bare minimum is sometimes done just to throw an event together in a hurry. Which is always better than nothing at all. We appreciate everyones help who has run events in the past. They are no doubt a large under-taking. I would love to have every single NW Series event be an A-Tier. It is going to take matched efforts from all these NW micro-regions.

It is our belief that a higher standard of events is due in the area. That is exactly what we intend on delivering. Tournaments that offer proper documentation of all finances involved. Which always seems to become the issue at hand.

Eventually we are going to have to split the weekends into Pro and Am. That is where the affiliate clubs are going to come in strong. We will need much support to run events of this size in the future. 2009 is merely a stepping stone on our climb up the mountain. I hope to build the structure needed to do these plans in the future.

We are going to develop Disc Golf in the region with the NWDGA. We can achieve this while turning a profit to build the NW series and NWDGA from the ground up. It takes money to make money. It is our hope that people will see the good we are doing and start supporting the NWDGA's efforts.
Specific Event information will come out soon. The 3 tournaments that are already established will go about things as usual (Lave Launch, Windy River and Ft Steilacoom). The new events will have a their own structure of entry fees in place. When registration opens for an event a complete breakdown of fees will be in place. Between $3 PDGA, $3 NWDGA, $2 Acepot and local clpermit fees we expect the total to be around $10 per entry going toward fees.

The NWDGA will have it's membership outline put together in the next week or so. It will offer an individual membership and a charter Disc Golf Club membership. Bonding together area Clubs will give sponsors more incentive to cover the region. Events that are run in these areas under the NWDGA will also have an Umbrella sponsor package. We hope to obtain the future sponsorships needed to structure local and state development.

Vending at each event will be specific for that event. The established events may have issues with local/state permits. The 4 new events will take steps that are needed to allow for vending on site. Sponsorship packages are being drawn up as we speak. If large hurdles are discovered in this process vending may be constricted to Player's Party and Awards Ceremony.

When dealing with existing traditions and methods we must tread lightly. In no way are we coming in and taking a holier than thou stance. Our approach is to foster the growth of regional events, recreation/course development and sponsorship opportunities.
Thanks Again for the Answer Andrew!

I guess I'm still a little fuzzy on the fee thing. Again, lets take the First Tourney on the list, the Windy River Open In April (NEXT MONTH!!!). According to your numbers $3 goes to the PDGA, $3 goes to the NWDGA and $2 goes to the Ace Pot. So that's $8. Now, using the formula you gave us before for fees (AM=$35, ADV=$45 and PRO=75) you get $27 for ams, $37 for Pros and $67 for each player. We would receive the actual breakdown on where these fees went/go within 7 days the tourney being completed?

Also, How does a club become an Affiliate club? If each member is paying a fee to be part of the NWDGA do the clubs that want to vend at events as "Affiliate clubs" have to pay a membership fee to the NWDGA? I guess I'm seeing the NWDGA a lot like a smaller version of the PDGA (Annual Membership fee and $25 to be an affiliate club). Is this summation correct?

Also who Runs the North West Disc Golf Alliance? Is it run a few individuals, reps from clubs or one person? I guess the question is what is the organizational structure of the NWDGA? Along the same lines how will that person/persons determine which clubs to assist when it comes to doling out fees? Will that be one of the benefits of being an affiliate club? Will Affiliate clubs be exempt from the Must sponsor an event to vend at an event rule?

Specific Event information will come out soon. The 3 tournaments that are already established will go about things as usual (Lave Launch, Windy River and Ft Steilacoom). The new events will have a their own structure of entry fees in place. When registration opens for an event a complete breakdown of fees will be in place. Between $3 PDGA, $3 NWDGA, $2 Acepot and local clpermit fees we expect the total to be around $10 per entry going toward fees.

The NWDGA will have it's membership outline put together in the next week or so. It will offer an individual membership and a charter Disc Golf Club membership. Bonding together area Clubs will give sponsors more incentive to cover the region. Events that are run in these areas under the NWDGA will also have an Umbrella sponsor package. We hope to obtain the future sponsorships needed to structure local and state development.

Vending at each event will be specific for that event. The established events may have issues with local/state permits. The 4 new events will take steps that are needed to allow for vending on site. Sponsorship packages are being drawn up as we speak. If large hurdles are discovered in this process vending may be constricted to Player's Party and Awards Ceremony.

When dealing with existing traditions and methods we must tread lightly. In no way are we coming in and taking a holier than thou stance. Our approach is to foster the growth of regional events, recreation/course development and sponsorship opportunities.
The formula I gave you for entry fees was merely an example of what the NWDGA event fees would look like. The Windy River Open, along with the other established tournaments, have there entry fee set. They hopefully have the PDGA fees included already. Further information regarding these events will come directly from those Tournament Directors.

The possibility of excluding the established events from the NWDGA fee was brought up. This would limit our sponsorship of these events and would also lower the finals payout. We would keep them as part of the Series merely for points. The main goal was to develop new courses/events in the future for these regions. We would hate for something like a $3 fee detour people from our future goals. 2010 will hopefully bring new courses, players and tournaments to these areas.

The NWDGA Events are set for June at The Emerald Valley Open, Aug with the Umpqua Valley and Overalls, and Sept. for the NW Championships. Event information will be made public as soon as everything is finalized.

The NWDGA is in each and all of us. It isn't one person but a collective of Disc Golfers that wish to assist growth in the region. It goes a long way to show that everyone can work together. Putting aside personal agendas for the greater good. With every positive movement there always seems to be some kind of negative reaction. It just a natural response for some to jump to skepticism. We can only do what we feel is the best interest of everyone. Hopefully we can amass many great minds along the way that can help mold and shape the NWDGA. Taking it in the direction the people have chosen.

The individual membership is going to be more of a pledge of committment. As will the Charter Club Membership. Clubs that pledge their efforts to run a NWDGA event will receive yearly memberships. Clubs that wish to work within the Alliance can become Charter Clubs with a nominal donation. Charter Clubs will have a Board member, access to NWDGA merchandise (as well as help with getting their own clubs clothing/discs), access to vend at NWDGA events. It takes a budget to run any organization. We hope to gain peoples trust in showing what we can do with a little bit of cash. New courses need money upfront to install. Parking fees would entice some Parks Depts. to allow a Disc Golf course. We are going to have to start paying to play in one way or another to take Disc Golf into the future. Whether it is out of pocket or through working with organizations like the NWDGA.

When it comes down to spending any NWDGA funds everything will be dealt with Democratically. Votes will be issued when topics arise. It is our hope that the areas with the best matched efforts would receive reciprocation for such. (that sentence sounds like something a lawyer would say.....) Peace

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968