www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

2010 Amateur & Junior Disc Golf World Championships - Middle Ohio (Marion, Tiffin Bucyrus, Delaware, and Upper Sandusky)

Some of you have played theses courses, which are the best? Best holes and other info. or reviews.

Views: 53

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i'll try to make it, no promises though. what time?
dankness as in good or dankness as in bad?
If I was taking a week off work, had to buy a plane ticket for my wife and I, get a rental car + gas , pay for a Hotel for a week and food I better be hearing every course is AWESOME rather than a fair test of my amature skill level..."cough CHUCK cought"I bet the courses that the PROS will be playing on are AWESOME but then again their pros
There's no difference in how courses are selected for Pro versus Am Worlds based on how they look. At least some of the Pro courses need to be longer and/or more challenging than Am courses and we need one or two more courses to handle the number of players for Am Worlds. The most relevant factor in what courses get used happens to be whatever ones are in the neighborhood of the host team that bids to host Worlds. The PDGA can only accept or reject a bid. We can't go out and choose cool tourist sites like Boston, Orlando, NYC, New Orleans or San Francisco. The local players have to pull together a team and bid.

If there's only one bidder which is usually the case, especially for Pro Worlds, then that's where Worlds will likely be. Each venue has some things about it that are better than others and courses are just one aspect. The PDGA works with the local team so everything is handled as well as possible. In the case of courses, you can't change the terrain. All you can do is hopefully adjust holes so they provide the best challenge for the players who will play them whether ams or pros. That's what is being done with the mid-Ohio courses - a bias toward substance than flash - and the locals have done a huge amount of work on these courses (cement pads everywhere) to get ready for the world coming to compete.

In terms of flash, mid-Ohio courses will be similar to Am Worlds in Tulsa, Miami and Milwaukee. In terms of substance, the courses will be better than or equal to the sets of courses used in the past seven years because the effort was made to match them to amateur divisions' skill levels more than ever.
Chuck just curious, but what would you say is wrong with Shawnee Mission?
The majority of the holes set for Worlds played to the equivalent of 345-365 on level ground which is a gold level Open pro distance versus blue level distance for Advanced. The downhill holes were in the 405-450 range and the uphill holes were like 290-325 so they played to that 345-365 level ground distance equivalent making birdies only available to the longest throwers, not the most skillful. The shortest hole was pretty lame at wide open 200 feet with no challenge. For all of that space, not a single hole was a legit two-shot par 4 in the 500-600 range. The 240' hole 6 was one of the better holes and 18 was pretty good and had good scoring spread.
The pro worlds courses are better courses this year. I think the pro worlds courses have been better courses every year in my memory except whatever year Am Worlds was in Cincinatti. Someone could jog my memory and come up with other counter-examples, I'm sure.

The pro worlds courses this year are not awesome courses but they are good courses. I played Red, White and Blue the Homie weekend and speed walked through Silver. I have not seen White in long basket positions, so I can't say anything more about White, but i saw the tee signs. The Legends and older pro women should enjoy White. Des and Val will dual it out with Rocs on White.

If I were playing Worlds for the fun of playing a big tournament on good courses, I'd play Pro Worlds and not Am Worlds. Either way, I'd drive by at least a half dozen better courses getting there, and they are in different directions.
As to undermining the efforts of the Am Worlds hosts, is there any reason to believe that this won't be a big money-grab like past Am Worlds?
FYI - Des and Val will only play White for fun. All pros with the exception of Legends and at least GM women will only be playing Red, Blue and Gold/Silver but not playing the White course.
If by "money grab" you mean will the local hosts earn some of their money back into their club coffers to cover the significant outlays for cement pads and signage on several courses, then the answer is "yes" they will likely more than breakeven on the event finances. The PDGA will roughly breakeven once the cost of the support team traveling and staying there get accounted for.
Chuck,
Thanks for the pictoral direction to the 2010 Am World's courses. I very much appreciate it.
K.
It's nice to hear you did not add Fort Custer to your list of "flukey courses" at 2008 World's.
I played @ Swope during World's 2009 and I thought it was very competitive. I liked it alot.
K.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968