www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Discuss..

http://www.pdga.com/rule-changes-2011

Highlights: Wedged putts do NOT count if 'witnessed' to have wedged in cage from the outside.

TD- Optional Drop-Zone for lost discs.

Player can't use first shot when throwing a provisional, the provisional shot is the correct lie (as I read it, a bit confusing).

Obstacle to stance- can move a stick in your stance if part of it extends in front of your lie now.

Views: 91

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had three in tournies this year, and probably two or three more otherwise : )

Tons.
I dont understand the provisional one.
So the TD can say that the drop zone for lost discs on non-water holes is the fairway nearest to where the group thinks you had landed?
No. It would be a specific location identified by the TD, typically the short tee if the hole has one.
The only thing you need to remember is that a throw you called a Provisional cannot later be called your Optional Rethrow. In the rare situation where that question comes up (never seen it in 20 years but have heard of it), it should be apparent why you need to make an Optional Rethrow.

I think the holing out one is total bullshit. Any disc supported by any part of the entrapment device...i.e basket and up should be good. Now we are going to be arguing whether or not a disc entered the basket through the side or not. Personally if my disc is inside the basket why should it matter how it got there????

The lost disc drop zone...is a lame attempt at fixing an extremely harsh rule as it were....It's still stroke and distance...maybe not as far as it could have been. But it's still stroke and distance. This rule should have been left alone the way it was a few years ago...or changed to just distance....no stroke.

I didn't agree with the unplayable lie before....now at least the player is forced back to the previous lie. The rule is still whacked as does still allow a player a loop hole for gaming. A player is in deep shule or another impossible lie off the drive or previous throw and is looking at 5,6 or worse...now they can take an optional rethrow and potentially lower their score. The door is still open for shenanigans  on that one.

In my opinion the rules committee just failed. It seems that the game and it's rules don't have to be this complicated.

With all that said..I'll play by what ever rules they set forth...respect the dillweeds that came up with this crap...that's another story.

I have benefitted from wedged putts several times this year (as stated above) but I do agree with the "holing out" rule change.  The target area is from the top of the basket cage to the bottom of the chain support...discs that enter from the side or bottom of the basket cage, or through the top of the chain support have not really entered through the target area.  In my opinion the old wording provided loopholes and the new wording is much more fair (even though my putting style seems to produce wedged discs several times a year).

"Essentially, the Optional Rethrow means players may rethrow from their original lie if their disc lands in any of the disc golf penalty hazards – OB, Missed Mando, above 2m and Lost (which already is handled this
way) – and receive a 1-throw penalty. Of course just like the old
Unplayable Lie rule, a player may choose this Optional Rethrow penalty
without permission from the group no matter where their disc lands
whether inbounds or a hazard location."

That just seems ripe for abuse to me...

All controversial calls regarding how a disc is considered holed out could be eliminated by simply stating any disc supported by the entrapment device is considered holed out. Furthermore defining the Entrapment Device as the entire Basket and Chain Assembly.  Simple Solution....end of controversy.

Yep!! it's still pretty much crap!!

Somebody at the top is forgetting the basic concept of "play it where it lies". Which should be the baseline criteria for deciding an unplayable lie...Except OB.....if you can take a stance at the disc or on the line of play at the first possible location. Then that's how it should be played.

You are forgetting that the Optional Rethrow rule comes directly from ball golf and they've had many more years of experience with it. No matter how you twist your words, there's no reason a player should EVER be placed in a position where they have to take a penalty more than "throw and distance." EVER. The worst shot a player can make is off the property and that penalty is 'shot and distance' in golf and can be that way in disc golf if the TD desires. Any shot that lands on the property, IB or OB, should never be penalized more than that. If the worst penalty for a shot in the sport is made higher than it is now such as increasing to "throw and 2-shots" penalty, then you have a case for the Optional Rethrow penalty to be higher. But until then - case closed - you have no basis for complaint. NONE.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968