www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Discuss..

http://www.pdga.com/rule-changes-2011

Highlights: Wedged putts do NOT count if 'witnessed' to have wedged in cage from the outside.

TD- Optional Drop-Zone for lost discs.

Player can't use first shot when throwing a provisional, the provisional shot is the correct lie (as I read it, a bit confusing).

Obstacle to stance- can move a stick in your stance if part of it extends in front of your lie now.

Views: 110

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That could be but that's not how holing out in our sport originated. The sport started with hitting a target area on an object to hole out. The spirit of that concept is now better reflected with the rule update for 2011. The only reason for the basket invention in the beginning was to confirm that shots have hit the target in the case the shot wasn't seen. Of course, the flaw in that theory carrying forward as our sport evolved is that shots that are seen by the group to hit or go thru the chains should also count. That would be my argument that holing out still hasn't been fixed, not that low wedgies that stick or get thru now don't count.

The "wedgie" rule is pretty stupid what with the whole witnessing thing. Didn't witness it, it is good. Did witness it, it doesn't count. If a tree falls in the woods...

I have to agree with Jamie that maybe a lot of this is just not necessary. The sport has been doing just fine for a long time with the rules as they are. Maybe somebody is just bored in the winter time. Who really cares about wedgies anyway. Now I want to see a wedgie ace. Of course it has to be blind (so I won't see it). Never saw one that wedged from the inside. I think that they should have just made all wedgies legal or none of them. This halfway stuff is pure BS.

Festivus is for the rest of us! 

We have several rules in this self officiated sport that require paying attention. No biggie that players have to watch putts. We have to watch for mandos, foot faults, jump putting, where discs last go OB and watching to prevent lost discs. Paying attention to other players throws is part of the game.
That may be true but this rule will mean that some are good and some are not based merely on observation. That is what I don't like. Will they be required to now put cameras on all blind baskets during tournaments. And if it is observed by someone watching a live feed does that make it not count. Will spotters be required to be near the basket? It is all pretty lame and not really necessary for something that rarely happens (compared to all of the baskets that get counted the normal way).
And that's no different from any other rule I mentioned above. Some are seen and some are not. Benefit of the doubt to the player.

I think that the rules people are just bored and looking for something to do on this one.

Leave my wedgie alone. I earned that wedgie.

Be careful or the big boys on the RC might give you one when they see you... ;-)
It's a tough task to create a thorough sets of rules and regulations that apply to all conditions. Before everyone gets all in an uproar, remember another document that is still in flux and getting perfected as things evolve...The US Constitution.

Let's say the original intent of the target was to do the best job possible to catch any disc that comes near it. That wasn't the intent but let's say it was. Targets would have been designed with larger openings between the top lip of the basket and bottom of the chain support, that is if chains were even used. The top of the deflector whether chains or or other device would have been as open as possible for drop thrus and there might have been a rim around the top piece so it could also catch discs (currently known as DROTs). There might have been nubs and all kinds of other hooks or projections on the outside of the basket and chain support to occasionally catch even a few more shots. There might not have been a limit on the diameter of the target until some Tech Committee set one.

The point is that our current target designs are not very great "catchers" in comparison to what designs would have been possible if "catching" were the goal of target design developments. But it wasn't. So any claims that holing out should involve a disc simply being supported anywhere on the target don't make sense since it's not the goal of our target in the sport. The goal is for a disc to properly enter a target area AND be captured in that target area. Our targets can be designed to do a better job at that, but it doesn't mean our rules should wait until those better targets get built and installed.

I find the name calling and use of expletives unnecessary in this discussion.

Would you like a little cheese with that whine?

I'm not concerned about wedgies in that I use hard putters and never have them, so if my competitor often does, it's to my advantage. But seeing it is tough to comprehend really. Obviously if it's blind benefit of the doubt, who gets to call it? A player on another hole that saw it? Only players on your card? Does it have to be majority of the group that saw it stick in from outside to call it a miss, or just 1 person?
It's just like other rules, two in the group or an official. I believe a spotter can be deputized by the TD to make the call.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968