www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Discuss..

http://www.pdga.com/rule-changes-2011

Highlights: Wedged putts do NOT count if 'witnessed' to have wedged in cage from the outside.

TD- Optional Drop-Zone for lost discs.

Player can't use first shot when throwing a provisional, the provisional shot is the correct lie (as I read it, a bit confusing).

Obstacle to stance- can move a stick in your stance if part of it extends in front of your lie now.

Views: 73

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Essentially, the Optional Rethrow means players may rethrow from their original lie if their disc lands in any of the disc golf penalty hazards – OB, Missed Mando, above 2m and Lost (which already is handled this
way) – and receive a 1-throw penalty. Of course just like the old
Unplayable Lie rule, a player may choose this Optional Rethrow penalty
without permission from the group no matter where their disc lands
whether inbounds or a hazard location."

That just seems ripe for abuse to me...

Yep!! it's still pretty much crap!!

Somebody at the top is forgetting the basic concept of "play it where it lies". Which should be the baseline criteria for deciding an unplayable lie...Except OB.....if you can take a stance at the disc or on the line of play at the first possible location. Then that's how it should be played.

You are forgetting that the Optional Rethrow rule comes directly from ball golf and they've had many more years of experience with it. No matter how you twist your words, there's no reason a player should EVER be placed in a position where they have to take a penalty more than "throw and distance." EVER. The worst shot a player can make is off the property and that penalty is 'shot and distance' in golf and can be that way in disc golf if the TD desires. Any shot that lands on the property, IB or OB, should never be penalized more than that. If the worst penalty for a shot in the sport is made higher than it is now such as increasing to "throw and 2-shots" penalty, then you have a case for the Optional Rethrow penalty to be higher. But until then - case closed - you have no basis for complaint. NONE.

The "wedgie" rule is pretty stupid what with the whole witnessing thing. Didn't witness it, it is good. Did witness it, it doesn't count. If a tree falls in the woods...

I have to agree with Jamie that maybe a lot of this is just not necessary. The sport has been doing just fine for a long time with the rules as they are. Maybe somebody is just bored in the winter time. Who really cares about wedgies anyway. Now I want to see a wedgie ace. Of course it has to be blind (so I won't see it). Never saw one that wedged from the inside. I think that they should have just made all wedgies legal or none of them. This halfway stuff is pure BS.

Festivus is for the rest of us! 

We have several rules in this self officiated sport that require paying attention. No biggie that players have to watch putts. We have to watch for mandos, foot faults, jump putting, where discs last go OB and watching to prevent lost discs. Paying attention to other players throws is part of the game.
That may be true but this rule will mean that some are good and some are not based merely on observation. That is what I don't like. Will they be required to now put cameras on all blind baskets during tournaments. And if it is observed by someone watching a live feed does that make it not count. Will spotters be required to be near the basket? It is all pretty lame and not really necessary for something that rarely happens (compared to all of the baskets that get counted the normal way).
And that's no different from any other rule I mentioned above. Some are seen and some are not. Benefit of the doubt to the player.

I think that the rules people are just bored and looking for something to do on this one.

Leave my wedgie alone. I earned that wedgie.

Be careful or the big boys on the RC might give you one when they see you... ;-)
"Benefit of doubt to the player"  These are the finest words ever! 

I find the name calling and use of expletives unnecessary in this discussion.

Would you like a little cheese with that whine?

Wedgies are not legal.  The only time it would count would be if it goes all the way through and lands inside the basket and no one saw it happen (in which case no one would know it was a wedgie to begin with).  If it's still wedged in the side, it doesn't count whether anyone saw it or not.  If no one saw the disc enter the basket and it's in, it counts whether it wedged through the side or not because no one saw it happen.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968