www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So this can't be a shock to anyone who has played in the past month or so, but in some places this is the worst infestation I've seen in a decade or so. Around the Lansing area there isn't a single DG course that doesn't have water either on, or very close by to it. I tried playing River's Edge at Burchfield Park a couple days ago, and between myself and my bag I was swarmed by 3 - 5 dozen at all times. I had the 3 dozen on me, with the other 2 dozen on my bag, which I don't get because it doesn't breathe. Probably the fastest round I've ever played, pausing to drive or putt for too long is basically impossible. Even with long sleeves and pants, multiple applications of DEET, and an OFF clip-on, there was no relief from the onslaught. If anything all that stuff seemed to do was make them angrier. After only a couple hours, even after coming home to take a shower I could still "sense" them swarming me and their drone rang endlessly in my ears...

So my question to you is how are you coping with the skeeters this season? Playing only at a certain time of day? maybe you have some repellent that seems to work really well, or some sort of trick to quell the beasts insatiable hunger. Please share it with us so we can get back to what we enjoy without having to donate so much blood first :)

Views: 150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Play Lakeshore, in Ypsi, besides w-z, haven't seen a mosquito in weeks

While it would be nice on occasion to get away from the local scene, we play leagues weekly so I still have to play in the area. Played Wednesday on the same course and only when it was absolutely down pouring did the mosquitoes go away. I figured that some seasoned disc golfers would have some wisdom they could impart, but looks like there is nothing in the way of that here :(

thanks man i'll have to check some of this stuff out. Also looks like the couple cold nights we had put a serious dent in their voraciousness, so lets hope it holds through the season!

I use an OFF clip on and just clip it to my bag it actually works. i have them in my car and bag ready to use. HIGHLY recommend this. the sell them at home depot

I've been reading up on this cause we have the same problem here in Indiana. Just read Herbal Armor by All Terrain (insect repellent) is really good and essential oil catnip oil is good (but you might have problems with cats). I help out with keeping our course up, so I've built bat houses and want to plant Lemon grass around T-pads and Black eyed Susans around our creek ( dragonflies love Black eyed Susan and love mosquitoes!) I also use the Off clip on.

here in vegas we haven't had any mosquitoes but we've had to deal with 110+ degree weather the last 2 weeks with a string of 116, 117 and 118 days

Luckily for me, my home course has almost no mosquitos, even being in South Carolina and having experienced phenomenal rains and lots of standing water this year.  I'm not sure why; the theory is we're way out in the country and our other wildlife keeps the skeeters at bay.

Which means, of course, that when I go to another course I don't think about bug spray until I get to Hole 4, and my blood levels start dropping.

We have West Nile back in a big way this season. Its all fun and games until a virus enters the picture. As much as I hate it...DEET for me

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968