www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Is it just me or does the quality of the star plastic seem to have gone down a bit. I recently got a star boss and a star valkyrie. They don't seem to be as high quality as my other star plastic. They seem more filmsy and the light can be seen through them. Plus the dirt seems to stay on even after I wash them. So is it me or have other people notice?

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can't say I've noticed any change in Star plastic. I got a Star Valk with the Sandstrom stamp and it feels like all my other Star discs. I like Star plastic as it seems to be less stable than the same mold in Champion, and my backhand is not all that powerful at the moment, so Star works better for me in general.
See how you can see through this. The Star plastic was never like this before. That is where I come up with the more Champion in them then before. Remember, the KC PRO disc have been made of mixed plastic for years. I have seen Star Beast and Destroyers that you could hold up and see through too.
Attachments:
The first of the Star plastic was back from the 06 Am worlds. At that time it was referred to as Special Blend. Orcs were the first. Even then some of the discs were like the pic you have. but there were only a very few of them in a total run of 2006 discs.
Now don't get me wrong, I like innova. It is just the quality of the plastic seemed to go down not the disc it self.

Jamie said:
I disagree completely with most of you. I think the star plastic, which I feel has a bit of Champion in it now, is better than ever. Also, I think the stabilization process was not to make the individual disc more stable but to stablize the run. Meaning that disc to disc will be more consistant. The old star plastic was hard and Innova's selling point is that Star plastic is grippy and durable so I agree with them. I feel in no way has Innova backslide or will they ever. If you arn't on board with them then you and disccrap will be left on the sidelines. IMO of course.
The thing with different Plastic is, that it has to feel good in the hands of the person throwing it !!!
What I tend to do is when I find a certain run that I like alot. The feel, the flight, how stable it is, then I go and buy four or five more from that same run. Then the consistancy is closer to what I like in my plastic.
I have a new star stingray like that. You can totally see through the stingray but not my older star tl.

Jamie said:
See how you can see through this. The Star plastic was never like this before. That is where I come up with the more Champion in them then before. Remember, the KC PRO disc have been made of mixed plastic for years. I have seen Star Beast and Destroyers that you could hold up and see through too.
Yep, my Star Excaliber is translucent.
ominae_wu said:
I have a new star stingray like that. You can totally see through the stingray but not my older star tl.

Jamie said:
So with that being said by a few, champion plastic mixed with Star should make the disc more durable right? Because champion is more durable then Star by itself? I actually like the fact that some shifts at Innova make better plastic. Anyway, I have had 12x Wraith that was a grey swirl color. It was tough as nails. I think that Innova has only missed the mark recently with the Sonic. I feel like Innova's future is looking good.
Jamie said:
So with that being said by a few, champion plastic mixed with Star should make the disc more durable right? Because champion is more durable then Star by itself? I actually like the fact that some shifts at Innova make better plastic. Anyway, I have had 12x Wraith that was a grey swirl color. It was tough as nails. I think that Innova has only missed the mark recently with the Sonic. I feel like Innova's future is looking good.

How bout the Skeeter? Everything else has been high speed and even if they aren't that great everyone will swarm on them.
I will say this, I hope they come out with more disc in the r-pro plastic.

Jamie said:
It seems to me that you're getting stability and quality control concerns confused.Disc that weigh the same and are the same shape and rigidity,when thrown at the same speed,with the same number of "Z's"in the same direction and at the same angle of attack.In a windless environment.Will fly the same! disc that don't meet the standards of the prototype are ground up and remelted,injected into a mold until they meet said standards.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968