www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Very interesting article: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/04/weight-classes-aim-to-bala...

"Clydesdale running dates to the late 1980s when a Baltimore-area accountant analyzed 20,000 runners in 10-kilometer races and marathons. The analysis showed that once men reach about 170 pounds, their performance declines relative to athletes of about the same age with a slighter build. The findings suggested that, compared with his peers, a 210-pound man who runs a 10-kilometer race in 51 minutes (about an eight-minute-per-mile pace) is performing as well as a 150-pound man who runs the distance in a speedy 38 minutes (about a six-minute-per-mile pace)."

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sry Terry I only run if being chased...or doing the chasing.
Hmmm . . . I'd qualify for this. Never thought of myself as a Clydesdale, but it does sort of fit . .
Thanks for the info Terry, it's new incentive to shed some more lbs. I just ran my first marathon two weeks ago and weighed in at 186 lbs... since I've gone up to 190 and I'm feeling a renewed drive to get eating habits under control. I probably have about 25 lbs to go. I'm doing another marathon in may 2011 and this article makes me think of how much easier it would be if I didn't have to carry a 25 lb dumbell strapped to my mid-section. :-)

John Tesh was reporting tonight (and let me clarify that I only hear bits from him at the YMCA) that just losing 9 lbs can have a significant effect on lowering blood pressure as well as a host of other benefits that we all might have guessed at.

Parting shot: Maybe we should start a DGRUS fitness/lifestyle group? I'm guessing losing weight would have a positive impact on our disc golf games as well. Just sayin'...
considering DG'ers penchant for beer, "Clydesdale" seems quite fitting.

"in this corner, at a weight of 170 pounds, the current middleweight disc golf champion"

imagine if you couldn't make your "weight" though.
Now that we know that "Clydesdale" is a euphemism for obesity, does this mean I'm not fat, I'm equestrian?

So a conversation might go like this?

"Hey, fat ass, can you pass the potato chips?" "I'm not an Ass, an Ass is a donkey. I'm a Clydesdale." "Oh, well excuse me, Clydsedale, can you pass the potato chips?" "Neighhhh! Neighhh!"
That's some good horse-play.
Okay, I didn't read the article the first time around. I think it's a ridiculous idea to have weight classes for running. There shouldn't be a consolation prize for being overweight. There are so many sports that favor the big and heavy and powerful that little guys don't stand a chance at. When the little guys complain they usually get a shrug of the shoulders and a "That's life Bonaparte." Leave the few proud little man sports occupations alone. Now big and tall jockeys... there'd pretty much have to be a Clydesdale class for them or it'd be animal cruelty. ;-)
So, is the first prize for the Clydesdale Division a case of Bud?
Guess I have a good shot in the catagory with a similar "horse" last name.;>}..Well,Wilbur

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968