www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

A Few Words About Branding, And The Ridiculousness Of Being Star-Struck.

I don't want to violate anyone's privacy, so...no names. I recently agreed to cover a local tourney for a disc golf site, and a clinic being put on by a local club featuring a well-known pro. The clinic was okay, but I thought a lecture on biometrics and proper throwing form was lost on this crowd. Most in attendance were there to meet the pro, and maybe glean a trick or two to add to their game. Believe me, it was a lecture. The pro in question showed up late, and then behaved like a rock star who expected his every whim be indulged. Afterward, I approached him and said I wasn't writing another "10 questions for ______" type of article, that i wanted to write something more in depth about the sport. He agreed to a interview on a certain day. He left a day early with no courtesy call to let me know. No big deal, I suppose, unless you part of a sport that is clamoring for more media attention. I'm sure the life of a touring pro leaves precious little time for social media, but then it seems wise (to me, at least) to be accessible to those who have proven their ability to influence it.

The next day, he of course won the local tournament and pocketed roughly 800 dollars. To my knowledge, not a peep from him acknowledging the countless hours of hard work put in by volunteers to make the course ready after a spate of recent storms. Entire trees had to be cut up and moved. Tee boxes needed to be mulched. Stolen baskets had to be replaced. All of this in addition to the work by local vendors (done for free). The pro in question had a chance to shake some hands, engage with his fans, and establish himself as a true professional. Winning 800 bucks off the hard working locals and then blowing town puts you in the "pool shark" category.

Views: 33

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Skipper, apparently a few people close to the event in question have determined that I likened the Pro to Hitler.  I'm sure like any other person, he has both good and bad qualities, and good and bad days.  It's awesome that you had a positive experience.

Tournament play does not determine one's commitment to disc golf - AT ALL.  However, if you are looking to get an interview with a touring pro - it might be wise to have an understanding of 'touring pros' and their gruelling schedules.

We apologize that you did not get the interview you thought you were 'owed' but you had numerous opportunities to get that interview and you failed to do so.

Everyone who was part of and played the tournament had a great time and we wish you could have been there to enjoy it, too!

Well, fair enough.  I have ZERO interest in their grueling schedules.  That will always be a secondary concern of mine.  If it helps to think this is about the missed interview, by all means cling to that perception, but it really isn't.  The interview wasn't for me, it was something I agreed to do for one of the sponsors.  I'm more interested in the guys that made it work, whether it was cutting up trees, mulching tee boxes, printing and distributing  flyers, etc.  I like the stories about the guys and girls that juggle work and kids and still devote time to this sport.  Those guys are my heroes. 

By the way, because i couldn't be there Sunday (I'm one of those guys who juggle kids and elderly parents and two jobs) I did indeed talk to people who participated both days. 

Sorry, guys, I'm just wasn't impressed with this big name player.  I have said repeatedly that I admire and respect all of the effort put forth by the T.D.s and club members.  It was well run and people did indeed have fun.  My post wasn't about that.  It was establishing and maintaining a brand, versus an elitist approach to those that do the grunt work.  

I think like any pro athlete  Dave and others in other sports are like filly racehorces ...... their bodies are golden, everything they do in their athletics are exceptional ...... they have gifts bestowed by God ..... us lesser players no matter how hard we try and practice haven't the god given co-ordination to play like a pro athlete in any sport.  They because of these gifts are a little different than the rest of us.They have to have the ultimate belief in their skillsets to succeed. If they don't they won't.  I've been in a couple of tourneys Dave's been in and have been very impressed with his demeanor and willingness to present clinics. I like the way he operates. He is very approachable even tho he plays at such a advanced level. Fantastic to watch these guy's games.
Those are solid points, Boom Boom.  I understand focus and intensity.  Glad you chimed in.

Interesting discussion. I worked the '88 Worlds in Cincy and experienced some of the same BS from a couple top pros back then. I've met and played with a lot of the top pros through the years I was touring, there are good (mostly) and bad ones.

During one round in '88 I was standing along a fairway as a foursome teed off and a young dad with his 6 & 7 year old children on bikes stopped to ask what was going on. The "top pro" on this card had yanked his drive OB right before they stopped to talk to me. As we were standing beside the OB fence talking the so called top pro walked right between us, slammed his bag on the ground and let loose a couple F bombs and few other choice words.

The young father instantly stopped the conversation, said "OK, this is more serious than I need, come on kids" and rode off.

Divas have been around since the beginning of the sport, I hate to say they will always be there.

As far as the story in question goes, I have no idea what happened.

Ok,  I would first like to start out on the subject of being professional, and professional behavior.  I was @ Cloud 9 volunteering my time, as I like to CONTRIBUTE to the sport and those who make it available to the masses. When, YOU, MACK, came into the store and threw a temper tantrom on this subject to two people who didn't even work there!  Very professional MACK.  I was also one of the group who hauled mulch and had been helping in the improvement of the course.  I don't need your thanks since Dave Feldberg thanked me personally. 

I went into this with the attitude knowing he has a reputation for above stated, however I was pleasantly surprised. Not only was he very friendly and approachable, but invited me to walk with him during the doubles'. On this walk I got one-on-one coaching, theory, and good times. If you only made yourself available MACK, you would have had more than ample time to conduct many "in depth" interviews.  A good writer gets the story, the story doesn't come to you.

Besides mispelling in your first statement( which as a writer, you might want to check before you hit enter.) none of your statements were true.  Not once did I cut up a tree or any other incorrect statements you made. I could drop to your level and throw insults, but like you contridicted yourself previously, nothing personal right?

Before you had your "get it off your chest" speech @ the golf store, I was a few moments away from setting up a phone interview between you and Dave, since you did'nt know of his pressing business for which he had to leave early. I too had plans to do something "in depth" with Dave, but he left without a phone call. Yet, you dont see me whining to non-employees of Cloud 9 and bashing the #1 player in the world on this forum. Shame on you MACK FARMER!    

a REAL writer knows better... Any good you think you may have done, was washed away with negativity in your words. Myself along with everyone I talked to, had an amazing  time. Sucks for you.  Maybe now you'll have more time to talk about tripping squirrels eating frisbees, and allow real writers to contribute to this sport. I hope you have nothing to do with this sport, it does'nt need people like you bashing it's top players.

Have a great day and if ever actually are on the course, which I doubt, heads up buddy!

You don't have to be impressed with him.  Just know that he has done the ground work for you and MANY others for years (along with many others) for the sport of Disc Golf.

I guess I'll stick to bashing the pros a little lower on the totem pole.  Idol worship, much?

I don't even know who you are, but someone cut up trees, and I don't remember naming names.  In fact, when i wrote this post, which, (I'm going to type this slowly, so I don't lose you...) was.  not.  about.  the.  missed.  interview. 

You guys have sure circled the wagons.  Thats cool, I stick up for my buds too.

But, seriously, with your sentence structure and punctuation, you really want to diss my writing? 

Let's all just agree to disagree, and stop this useless catfight, it has become boring beyond measure.

Thank you for speaking slowly, us lowly discgolfers are so stupid. Thank you for your wonderful wisdom and insite. I'm glad u dont know me, and I know you. I have decided to take this personal just because you're lame and even in your insults you use incorrect grammar.  Idol?? more like good friend, similar to the man you've been seen with your arm around @ other local events. No threats, no language, I now have someone to dump on. I will use any means necessary to let the dg community know who you are, and what you're about. Am I going to fast for you?? I     will    slow     it    down    4    u. I very much look forward to seeing you again...
You guys can stop now. The last thing we need is to have to pull one of you off the other on Hole #5 @ . . . . . .oh wait, what?

OK, ok.  I'm not going to put anymore thought to this stupid,whiny post. Sorry I'm not  "professional" blogger like u mack..haha. With that said, this site is for uplifting and positive discussions about discgolf. I'll be damned if a non-discgolfer is going to diss the sport or my friends with this trash.  I'm new to this sport, and have only had good experiences and have met positive people  learning this new HOBBY.  As with anything, there are haters. I know for a fact that you say this crap to get a rise out of people, and find the "humor" in it. 

Bottom line is that this sport doesn't like you, need you, or want you around. Go make fun of the rollergirls with your boyfriend, and leave this pure sport to grow, and without you it will.

I wish you nothing but the best in ur sad, sad life.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968