www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

A Few Words About Branding, And The Ridiculousness Of Being Star-Struck.

I don't want to violate anyone's privacy, so...no names. I recently agreed to cover a local tourney for a disc golf site, and a clinic being put on by a local club featuring a well-known pro. The clinic was okay, but I thought a lecture on biometrics and proper throwing form was lost on this crowd. Most in attendance were there to meet the pro, and maybe glean a trick or two to add to their game. Believe me, it was a lecture. The pro in question showed up late, and then behaved like a rock star who expected his every whim be indulged. Afterward, I approached him and said I wasn't writing another "10 questions for ______" type of article, that i wanted to write something more in depth about the sport. He agreed to a interview on a certain day. He left a day early with no courtesy call to let me know. No big deal, I suppose, unless you part of a sport that is clamoring for more media attention. I'm sure the life of a touring pro leaves precious little time for social media, but then it seems wise (to me, at least) to be accessible to those who have proven their ability to influence it.

The next day, he of course won the local tournament and pocketed roughly 800 dollars. To my knowledge, not a peep from him acknowledging the countless hours of hard work put in by volunteers to make the course ready after a spate of recent storms. Entire trees had to be cut up and moved. Tee boxes needed to be mulched. Stolen baskets had to be replaced. All of this in addition to the work by local vendors (done for free). The pro in question had a chance to shake some hands, engage with his fans, and establish himself as a true professional. Winning 800 bucks off the hard working locals and then blowing town puts you in the "pool shark" category.

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

quit disc golf and take up knitting,theres a real hobby,you guys sound like wives,

Ah ha ha ha .... hey wait I love knitting! :)

DOH!

I played in '88 and its a good thing the dad and his children didn't see Hoser and Steady ED moon each other in the Fri doubles.

I didn't realize disc golf could be tho tho thexy
Imo, dave's game is far beyond the normal pro. His understandings and ability to teach are also beyond most pros. I'm not talking dave vs locals, I mean his comprehension of things like speed vs snap are beyond top touring pros.

I'd feel lucky if he dropped by to take a lousy 800 and gave a lecture that went over most peoples heads.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968