www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

A Few Words About Branding, And The Ridiculousness Of Being Star-Struck.

I don't want to violate anyone's privacy, so...no names. I recently agreed to cover a local tourney for a disc golf site, and a clinic being put on by a local club featuring a well-known pro. The clinic was okay, but I thought a lecture on biometrics and proper throwing form was lost on this crowd. Most in attendance were there to meet the pro, and maybe glean a trick or two to add to their game. Believe me, it was a lecture. The pro in question showed up late, and then behaved like a rock star who expected his every whim be indulged. Afterward, I approached him and said I wasn't writing another "10 questions for ______" type of article, that i wanted to write something more in depth about the sport. He agreed to a interview on a certain day. He left a day early with no courtesy call to let me know. No big deal, I suppose, unless you part of a sport that is clamoring for more media attention. I'm sure the life of a touring pro leaves precious little time for social media, but then it seems wise (to me, at least) to be accessible to those who have proven their ability to influence it.

The next day, he of course won the local tournament and pocketed roughly 800 dollars. To my knowledge, not a peep from him acknowledging the countless hours of hard work put in by volunteers to make the course ready after a spate of recent storms. Entire trees had to be cut up and moved. Tee boxes needed to be mulched. Stolen baskets had to be replaced. All of this in addition to the work by local vendors (done for free). The pro in question had a chance to shake some hands, engage with his fans, and establish himself as a true professional. Winning 800 bucks off the hard working locals and then blowing town puts you in the "pool shark" category.

Views: 26

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for speaking slowly, us lowly discgolfers are so stupid. Thank you for your wonderful wisdom and insite. I'm glad u dont know me, and I know you. I have decided to take this personal just because you're lame and even in your insults you use incorrect grammar.  Idol?? more like good friend, similar to the man you've been seen with your arm around @ other local events. No threats, no language, I now have someone to dump on. I will use any means necessary to let the dg community know who you are, and what you're about. Am I going to fast for you?? I     will    slow     it    down    4    u. I very much look forward to seeing you again...
You guys can stop now. The last thing we need is to have to pull one of you off the other on Hole #5 @ . . . . . .oh wait, what?
You don't have to be impressed with him.  Just know that he has done the ground work for you and MANY others for years (along with many others) for the sport of Disc Golf.

.."dickishness..like it.I now know how to explain my sarcasm or being a detective.

Jamie,you have just too much class/wit to be a diva.Pro perhaps,but never ....ishness.

Thank you for posting this!!!!!! I was going to write up something very similar. This isn't just restricted to this one pro you are talking about, this is a growing trend within our community & sport all over the country. This is NOT the PGA or IGF, and you are NOT playing for the Masters. So stop being a arrogant asshole. I see too many people now-a-days that see themselves as god's gift to the sport, and they are only pulling $500-800 in prize money? Give me a f-u-c-k-i-n-g break. I guess that kind of behavior would be more tolerable if you just won $8.2 million after four days of a tourney. But even PGA golfers take the time to do clincs properly, talk to the press and most of all the FANS. You see Tiger & Phil signing autographs, doing the interviews, and at the very least being humble. Granted Tiger is kind of a dick, but that guy is pulling in billions & is consider on of the worlds greatest athletes, he doesn’t have time to be polite. With that being said, why would ANY pro disc golfer take on that kind of mind set because is totally uncalled for. Has our grass roots sport really gotten to the point that we can stick our noses up in the air because they just won $800 by playing a game forged in the 60's & 70's by some hippies? What happened to ethics and class. I can't even get most players to say "clear" when they are done putting.

This is such a bummer to see. I would love to see Disc Golf with all sorts of media attention and corporate sponsors. I don't want DG to turn into the NFL or MLB by any means, but it would be nice to see more attention and coverage. How cool would it be to see that highlight on ESPN or Fox Sports. I know we have our sponsors like the all the MFR's (Disc Craft, Innova, Millennium, etc) but where's Gatorade, Coke, Addidas, and Nike? If the pro, amateurs and novices are not going to give back, maintain a sense of class, and show respect for the game, then I don’t see attitudes like the player you are describing changing any time soon. Hopefully people will take to this discussion and think about showing the game and it's participants a little more respect. First and foremost....Lead by example. Thanks again mate for taking the time to post this and opening up the floor for this debate. Cheers

There's guys like Feldberg, and then there's guys like Barry Schultz. Barry not only volunteered at the AM GCC but signed autographs and played rounds with anybody that asked all week leading up to the pro weekend. We need more Barrys.

I was not there and so can't speak about what did or did not happen, But about 6-8 weeks ago Dave came to the Big Island Open Here on the Big Island Hawaii. He was very nice I played a few holes with him, he signed a disc for me, he gave a little speech after the last round thanking every one for a great tourney and all the hard work that went into putting it together... So over all I though he was very well behaved here in Hawaii.

If he was anything else then that at your tourney I hope it was just a bad day. This is a great sport and I have meet many very nice players since I have started, it would be nice to keep that going ... for the Pro's and for the AM's. So I guess the best we can do is work together.... One thing I know for sure  is that the best place to start is with ourself! 

ps...  seems like this site is working good again... is that just me or are the problems gone?

Skipper, apparently a few people close to the event in question have determined that I likened the Pro to Hitler.  I'm sure like any other person, he has both good and bad qualities, and good and bad days.  It's awesome that you had a positive experience.
I think like any pro athlete  Dave and others in other sports are like filly racehorces ...... their bodies are golden, everything they do in their athletics are exceptional ...... they have gifts bestowed by God ..... us lesser players no matter how hard we try and practice haven't the god given co-ordination to play like a pro athlete in any sport.  They because of these gifts are a little different than the rest of us.They have to have the ultimate belief in their skillsets to succeed. If they don't they won't.  I've been in a couple of tourneys Dave's been in and have been very impressed with his demeanor and willingness to present clinics. I like the way he operates. He is very approachable even tho he plays at such a advanced level. Fantastic to watch these guy's games.
Those are solid points, Boom Boom.  I understand focus and intensity.  Glad you chimed in.

Interesting discussion. I worked the '88 Worlds in Cincy and experienced some of the same BS from a couple top pros back then. I've met and played with a lot of the top pros through the years I was touring, there are good (mostly) and bad ones.

During one round in '88 I was standing along a fairway as a foursome teed off and a young dad with his 6 & 7 year old children on bikes stopped to ask what was going on. The "top pro" on this card had yanked his drive OB right before they stopped to talk to me. As we were standing beside the OB fence talking the so called top pro walked right between us, slammed his bag on the ground and let loose a couple F bombs and few other choice words.

The young father instantly stopped the conversation, said "OK, this is more serious than I need, come on kids" and rode off.

Divas have been around since the beginning of the sport, I hate to say they will always be there.

As far as the story in question goes, I have no idea what happened.

I played in '88 and its a good thing the dad and his children didn't see Hoser and Steady ED moon each other in the Fri doubles.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968