www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have to admit to a certain degree of frustration over the actual weights of the discs I have acquired since I began (um, became addicted to) this sport.  What is written by the manufacturer on the back is not always accurate, and based on my recent tests, more likely inaccurate.
I bought a digital gram scale that reads down to 1/10 of a gram and spent last night weighing every disk I own.  To my surprise, most of the discs weighed either more or less than the number written on the back.  I'm not just talking .1 or .5 of a gram, but several were 2 grams or more under or overweight.
One of the things I have been trying to do over the past six months is to cut down on the variety of discs I carry in my bag, decide on a specific discs to carry, and then carry multiples.  As an example, I have always loved throwing a Champion Wraith.  A 173g Champion Wraith was the first Wraith I ever purchased and boy, did I grow to love that disc.  Well, after losing it in a pond, I purchased another and made sure it was 173g.  Of course throwing it brand new was not the same as throwing my worn-in Wraith.  In fact, it seemed like I was the one needing to make adjustments to accommodate the characteristics of the new Wraith.  Eventually, after some wearing in, I again became comfortable throwing that disc.  Since then, I have bought and thrown a half dozen Champion Wraiths, all with 173g written on them and I would say two of the Wraiths fly exactly the way I expect them to, but the others do not.  A couple proved to be way too under stable compared to what I was used to, and others more over stable.
Over the past month, I have purchased three Champion Wraiths all with 173g written on the back.  The idea was to carry all three in my bag in case I lost one, damaged one, etc.  If I did so, I could just reach in my bag and pull out another trusted, go-to Wraith.  Well, that was the theory anyway.
I did purchase the Wraiths from different sources - one off ebay, another from an online retailer and one from a local store.  Not a one of them flies the same.
I weighed them last night on the scale, and despite all three having 173g written on them, not one of them weighs 173g.  The weights are; 172.2, 173.6 and 175.5.  Now, I'm not sure how much difference a gram here or there really makes, but I feel I need to attribute at least some of the inconsistency in their flight to the different weights?
So if I want three Wraiths that weigh exactly the same, is there anyway to really accomplish that, or will it always be a hit-and-miss situation?

Views: 187

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We handle a LOT of plastic in a given year and our experience mirrors yours. The weight marked on a disc is very often not accurate. Some manufacturers do a better job than others. Ching, for example, marks the weight down to the tenth of a gram on their discs and it tends to be accurate. Most other manufacturers do not have this level of precision.

We recently converted to an exact color and weight model on Disc Nation and one of the challenges was that we had to individually weigh discs from manufacturers who do not specify an exact gram weight. Discraft and DGA, for example, use weight range stickers (i.e. 164-166g) on some plastics, like Pro-D & Elite-X. So, we re-weigh all these discs which gives folks the exact weight on our site for these discs. This is easy as we can wipe off the old weight weight and write the correct one on the sticker. We considered doing this for all discs, but were concerned about how to accurately represent the weight on the disc if it is not as marked, as we did not want to black out the old weight on and re-write a new weight which would mar the appearance of the disc. On a Champion or Elite-Z disc, for example, doing this would leave a big visible mark that could be seen through the dome of the disc.

In an interesting side-note, I'm not entirely sure what players would like in this regard. We've had customers over the years either call or come into our store looking for specific weights. During these discussions I feel obligated to tell these players that there is most likely a difference between the weight marked and the actual weight. Some players have told me that for them it is psychological and they don't care what it actually weights, as long as it says "173".

So, to answer your question, I think you're looking at a hit-or-miss situation.
I dont think that the weight being a gram or two off is goining to make that much of a difference. Insted try to get the discs from the same place in the same color. Different runs of plastic will fly a little different.
Hey Blake,

You might be missing my point. We weigh discs that don't come with an exact gram weight to the nearest gram. Ching weighs there discs down to a 10th. We check our scales often and they're generally right on, and the weights of discs we receive from Ching tend to match as well. That said, a scale can always get out of whack there are no guarantees.
A U.S Nickle weighs 5 grams....a simple way to check your scales.
As I heard it, Innova weighs 10 discs at a time, takes the average and that's what they all weigh. Hence discs being a fair bit off.
ClearwaterDiscGolfStore.com will weigh your discs on a scale if you prefer.
There is a comment box during purchase where you can leave special instructions.
Or you can call on the phone with special instructions.
Or you can use the Live Chat to let them know you need exact scaled weights with your order.
These are common requests from Tournament players and Customer Service their specialty.

Generally you just want to get to know your disc.
The weight will not matter too much if you just learn what your disc does, and apply what it does to the course.
Heavier weights fight the wind better and lighter weights will glide more.
Do not get hung up on grams...take the disc to the field...does it glide, is it a tank, does it fight wind, better in no wind, etc. and once you learn this...use what you have learned when you come to that situation!
Throw your three wraiths together in a field until you know which one is the straightest, which one is the most overstable...do 2 of them fly the same, or 3...then once you know them, just use them that way.
Some discs are magic, some are terrible. Ditch the bad ones, use the good ones, and test some more. Fun, fun!
Couldn't have said it better....figure out what the disc does in an open field and apply it to the course.
It is often that a maker measures heaviness with digital scales at the time of tournament in Japan.
The reason is because there was the rule that I cannot use when not equal to or less than 152g so far.
There was the thing which exceeded it even if written as 152g in Disc which I bought in U.S.A. plenty.
It becomes all right from JapanOpen of this year to 159.9g.
This discussion would matter more if a disc's true weight mattered more. Within a few grams it really doesn't matter. A good throw is a good throw even if you change a few grams in weight. A poor throw is a poor throw even if you change a few grams in weight.

Minor weight differences are more in your head than in your hand.

Back in the day when I was a truly weak putter but was proudly committed to max weight putters, I was surprised to find out my doubles partner(Carleton Howard of North Carolina, who was a World Class putter) used a putter which weighed a few grams under max weight. Carleton was sponsored by Innova and could walk in the factory and choose among thousands of putters of any weight or plastic composition. So I asked him why he chose his putter. He said it felt good. I asked him why he didn't pick a maximum weight putter and he asked me why that would matter. Then I watched him perform surgery with that putter for the next few days of the event.

At any event I will ever compete in I will be happy to let all my competitors know the exact weight of their discs down to a millionth of a gram even though I won't know the weight of my discs within a few grams. If they beat me then they played better. It wasn't the few grams or the millionth of a gram that did it.
A few grams doesn't matter as much when you consider most people don't know the actual weight of the discs ALREADY in their bag. Check those now before you buy your next disc.
Why does it matter? Once you learn how to throw it, what does it matter what it weighs? Maybe its just me, but being OCD about 2 grams is a little much, no offense...now if it was a 10-15 gram difference I might understand...should the manufacturers be more accurate? certainly. But is it a scapegoat for your discs not flying properly? probably not.

the inconsistency of the flights has little to do with the weights (which would be convenient) but rather the throw...i've said it once and I'll say it again...its the Indian, not the arrow...or...its the Viking, not the axe...you get my drift...

as for the three Wraiths situation? if each one has a different flight pattern--adjust to them on a disc-by-disc basis--

just my 2 cents
my thought is that when a company makes a mold of plastic that the casted disc is in the correct weight and they mass produce the discs with the same shape, and same amount of plastic before it sets, during this time while it's still a liquid a drop or two may end up with the mold of say 173 to put it over, or a few drops were left out to make it less than, just like in cooking, if you were to measure out 3/4 cup of tomato puree and then pour it into your dish, after your done pouring your never going to get exactly 3/4 cup, you gotta put in a little bit more before the pour to get out but than again, that's also not a precise way to measure it out

i donno for sure but that sounds like what could possibly happen when something is mass produced

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968