www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have to admit to a certain degree of frustration over the actual weights of the discs I have acquired since I began (um, became addicted to) this sport.  What is written by the manufacturer on the back is not always accurate, and based on my recent tests, more likely inaccurate.
I bought a digital gram scale that reads down to 1/10 of a gram and spent last night weighing every disk I own.  To my surprise, most of the discs weighed either more or less than the number written on the back.  I'm not just talking .1 or .5 of a gram, but several were 2 grams or more under or overweight.
One of the things I have been trying to do over the past six months is to cut down on the variety of discs I carry in my bag, decide on a specific discs to carry, and then carry multiples.  As an example, I have always loved throwing a Champion Wraith.  A 173g Champion Wraith was the first Wraith I ever purchased and boy, did I grow to love that disc.  Well, after losing it in a pond, I purchased another and made sure it was 173g.  Of course throwing it brand new was not the same as throwing my worn-in Wraith.  In fact, it seemed like I was the one needing to make adjustments to accommodate the characteristics of the new Wraith.  Eventually, after some wearing in, I again became comfortable throwing that disc.  Since then, I have bought and thrown a half dozen Champion Wraiths, all with 173g written on them and I would say two of the Wraiths fly exactly the way I expect them to, but the others do not.  A couple proved to be way too under stable compared to what I was used to, and others more over stable.
Over the past month, I have purchased three Champion Wraiths all with 173g written on the back.  The idea was to carry all three in my bag in case I lost one, damaged one, etc.  If I did so, I could just reach in my bag and pull out another trusted, go-to Wraith.  Well, that was the theory anyway.
I did purchase the Wraiths from different sources - one off ebay, another from an online retailer and one from a local store.  Not a one of them flies the same.
I weighed them last night on the scale, and despite all three having 173g written on them, not one of them weighs 173g.  The weights are; 172.2, 173.6 and 175.5.  Now, I'm not sure how much difference a gram here or there really makes, but I feel I need to attribute at least some of the inconsistency in their flight to the different weights?
So if I want three Wraiths that weigh exactly the same, is there anyway to really accomplish that, or will it always be a hit-and-miss situation?

Views: 199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really push this on the newbies that come in the store...
I send them to the field up the street and tell them that even 15 minutes will teach them a lot!
We have a lot of water on our courses so they usually agree and go (at least they tell me they are stopping at the field first)!!!
I give them a few pointers and let them know what is going to happen...
Hooked!

I got two words...Hog Wash!!!
I don't doubt they are almost all individually marked....someone wrote that number on the back......as far as weighing each and every one...no way....too high of a percentage is incorrect...so either they aren't being weighed individually or someone can't transcribe the proper number from the scale to the disc.
I had a glow teebird marked 171g, weighed 152g (2 scales and hand checked)
Your best bet is to get all 3 from the same person. A gram or two here or there isn't affecting much.
I hear it doesn't really matter as long as the manufacturer puts a designated weight on the disc when produced ?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968