www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have to admit to a certain degree of frustration over the actual weights of the discs I have acquired since I began (um, became addicted to) this sport.  What is written by the manufacturer on the back is not always accurate, and based on my recent tests, more likely inaccurate.
I bought a digital gram scale that reads down to 1/10 of a gram and spent last night weighing every disk I own.  To my surprise, most of the discs weighed either more or less than the number written on the back.  I'm not just talking .1 or .5 of a gram, but several were 2 grams or more under or overweight.
One of the things I have been trying to do over the past six months is to cut down on the variety of discs I carry in my bag, decide on a specific discs to carry, and then carry multiples.  As an example, I have always loved throwing a Champion Wraith.  A 173g Champion Wraith was the first Wraith I ever purchased and boy, did I grow to love that disc.  Well, after losing it in a pond, I purchased another and made sure it was 173g.  Of course throwing it brand new was not the same as throwing my worn-in Wraith.  In fact, it seemed like I was the one needing to make adjustments to accommodate the characteristics of the new Wraith.  Eventually, after some wearing in, I again became comfortable throwing that disc.  Since then, I have bought and thrown a half dozen Champion Wraiths, all with 173g written on them and I would say two of the Wraiths fly exactly the way I expect them to, but the others do not.  A couple proved to be way too under stable compared to what I was used to, and others more over stable.
Over the past month, I have purchased three Champion Wraiths all with 173g written on the back.  The idea was to carry all three in my bag in case I lost one, damaged one, etc.  If I did so, I could just reach in my bag and pull out another trusted, go-to Wraith.  Well, that was the theory anyway.
I did purchase the Wraiths from different sources - one off ebay, another from an online retailer and one from a local store.  Not a one of them flies the same.
I weighed them last night on the scale, and despite all three having 173g written on them, not one of them weighs 173g.  The weights are; 172.2, 173.6 and 175.5.  Now, I'm not sure how much difference a gram here or there really makes, but I feel I need to attribute at least some of the inconsistency in their flight to the different weights?
So if I want three Wraiths that weigh exactly the same, is there anyway to really accomplish that, or will it always be a hit-and-miss situation?

Views: 191

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i can't argue with the fact that it might be a bit careless by the manufacturer--but its still not a valid excuse why the disc doesn't fly the way you want it to...
You make a good point. I never intended to lay blame on a gram or two, here or there for any inconsistencies in my throwing. My post had to do with discoveries I made after buying a digital gram scale and weighing my discs. Some people have been very informative explaining what takes place at the factory and suggesting I might purchase multiple discs from the same store at the same time. That sounds like a good idea.
When I let a disc fly and it flies right, I know it immediately and I get a great deal of satisfaction from it. If a particular disc isn't working for me, either I adjust or it gets removed from my bag.
I agree with the "...indian and not the arrow..." comment completely.
When you order discs from a dealer, tell them in the comments box that you want the same weight and color if possible. Most of the time they do and if they dont have it they call.
Sounds like a good idea.
If you can't weigh them at a store. Marshall Street does it for you. So you know the true weight you are buying.
ClearwaterDiscGolfStore.com will weigh the discs for you.
You do have to ask, that's all.
Otherwise you get what is written on the back.
We will even match the run so you get the same dome or flatness.
There is a comment box at the end of your order online.
Any specific requests can be stated in the comment box or you can just call, we answer the phone 9am-9pm Daily.
I have to say i think the weight of a disc shouldn't matter do to the fact i throw all kinds of different weights ranging from 165-Max. Almost all of my multiples are different and my drivers and mid ranges almost always have the same characteristics. But one thing that helped me is changing my form but then again i have also only been playing two years. I think putters are the only disc you might notice it in only cause your not trying to put as force into it so it might have flight differences. But like most people have said that's just my two cents.
Innova must be really bad with their weight calculations. Most of my discs are in the 170 range, but some of them are obviously much lighter than others, despite being listed as the same or more weight than other discs.

Fortunately for me, I don't use classifications to base my judgment on how a disc will throw. I base my judgment on how a disc will throw on... well, on how it throws. The best thing you can do is get a feel for the disc. If the disc feels good, it usually is good. Other than that, the only thing you can do is bring a scale to the store so you can weigh the disc before you buy it.

I can tell if I'll be able to throw a disc just by grabbing it.
All INNOVA Discs are individually weighed and marked.
With Innova it's typical that their discs are inconsistant, don't get me wrong Innova has made alot of great discs but Discraft has the best consistancy, you can loose a disc and pull out a brand new one and once broke-in it'll fly just like the other one, Discraft's consistancy is unparalleled by any other brand out there...
I would agree with the Discraft comment being best in consistency Get it in Z and if you lose it pull out a brand new on it will fly the same. Ching is also pretty good. Gateway is really making a charge in that department too IMO. I haven't thrown enough Latitude 64 to say, but from what I have thrown they also seem pretty consistent.

Since you like the Wraith so much try a Surge SS from Discraft or a Rogue from DGA. I guarantee you will like the consistency between runs.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968