www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I took out a stretch band today and wrapped it around a tree hoping to use the resistance to stretch out my arm.  I've been a little sore from 2 weeks straight of 36 or more holes per day, and/or hitting up the open soccer field near my house.  I tied it around the tree around chest high and slipped the free handle around a disc so that i could grab it with a 4 finger power grip.  Then i slowly pulled the disc across my chest as flat and smooth as i would if I was throwing backhand in slow motion.  

All I was trying to do was loosen up my arm a little before the round.  What I didn't realize is how much a few minutes of this stretch would speed up and add power to my drive. Similar to baseball players with those warmup weights they slide onto bats to speed their swings and loosen up. I've never been the guy who had a cannon for an arm. Even finding enough power to be able to throw a strong 'S' curve flight felt like an impossibility...

Lo and Behold, My first throw LAUNCHED into a powerful flight and ended up pacing off at 440'.  Not bad for a guy who averages 325', at best.

Anyone else had any luck with this type of thing?  It makes sense to me.  Give it a shot sometime. I know I won't be starting another round without it, for sure!

Views: 545

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What Dave shows it what I do also. Lol. Thanks for the pics Dave. :)
has anyone tried doing wrist strengthening exercises for more snap?
I'd imagine one of those grip balls wouldn't hurt. Pretty sure there like 4 bucks at walmart.
Yep, the handle just barely fits on mine. I'll see how it helps after leagues tonight.
try it out before leagues it'll help get you pulling through the disc faster and with less effort!  Then, if you want to get more of a workout, do it for longer afterwards, so you're not too worn out to play
I put the band in my car, I'll use it for warm ups before league.

I started carrying a resistance band to use before throwing when I saw some guy on here selling something called the snap band or something.  I figured, "there's a neat idea that costs too much.", then grabbed a resistance band.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this, though lol.

I use one of those, too lol

I was browsing around and saw that video with the snap band thing.  Same concept here, but less cost for sure.  Apparently, with his product, he has a disc permanently attached to it... at least with this, that's not an issue.  Although, maybe building something like that wouldn't be a bad idea.  I have a few junk DX discs i wouldn't mind drilling holes through and attaching, i guess.

Also, I found a video of Ken Climo using a resistance band too.  It's a great reference to what we've been discussing here

http://youtu.be/eAlgk3_QyDA

Well, I tried it last night. Warmed up for about 10 minutes before we started. I was turning over everything,had the worst round I've had all year. I was not ready for the jump up in snap. My go to driver (pro destroyer) turned into a roller disc 3 times (rolled OB twice) threw my star katana past a hole for OB on another one. I need to go out in a field and see what's going on before I try this before a round again. It did work though.

Consider a Distance Doctor disc, it is created by a company called DG and is produced by Gateway.  It  is a Wizard that weighs 290 grams and says on the back that it is PDGA approved (it's not).  I throw it in the field, while practicing with my other discs.  I've managed to throw it 300 feet and then threw an ESP Nuke 450 feet.  Its like using a batting doughnut in baseball.  Its not exactly a stretching execise, but could be used for one.

I can't believe how well the whole resistance band thing is working for me. I have been trying to do it every night, with some missed nights her and there. But, over the past couple weeks of using the band my drives have gone from a normal 270-285ft, with the occasional 300 footer, to 300-320ft all the time. I put one right under a basket on a 347ft hole 2 days ago. FLAT hole. no elevation drop. I am blown away. Thanks for the tip on this Dave. I am WAY stoked.

And like Jeff said above, I am almost having to completely relearn my discs because the extra power and snap is making my ol' reliable discs turn over and do funny ass things I never thought they would do!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968