www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Yesterday, at Heistand Park in Madison, WI, I got my first ace on Hole 14, the beautiful downhiller that overlooks the city. From the am tees (about 250 ft), it was a bit into the wind so I threw a 171 g Star Sidewinder with a bit of hyzer so that it helixed perfectly and slammed the chainz and stayed in the basket! Unbelievable! Had two friends in my group and two people were walking up to the pad, so I had 4 witnesses.

Now for my question: What is the proper etiquette after an ace? Do you write your name and date on the sign or the basket or just your disc, and do you have to do it right after the ace occurs? Also, is it cocky to carry a permanent marker with you, almost expecting an ace?

Tags: ace, etiquette

Views: 53

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

some places like NAD in bremerton, WA or fredrickson in Poulsbo have a huge sign that you write the hole and pad that you throw off and the position of the basket since we have long and short holes out here with the position on the basket so you write on the wall and join the long list of people that have aced holes.
only sign your disc. I carry a marker with me at all times for anything I might need a marker for.

Please do not write on property that is not yours!
Ben, I read on another site that a magic eraser works well.
Everyone keeps calling it vandalism but I think it's all about where you are at. Our course it's cool there are tons of signatures. We think that aces should go down somewhere. SO at our course it's not vandalism. I mean I wouldn't do it away from home...unless I see a bunch of names on other ones. Vandalism to me is more like spray painting over the signs or tagging the tee pads. I mean we all sign our names very nicely it doesn't look tacky and every signature follows a pattern Name and Date under it. We all know each other and are the only ones who even use the course. TO each his own...but yeah it's a course to course thing...don't see em don't do it. Write it on your disc at that point. If ya see em...well sign it. Still write it on the disc though...=]
I think aces should be an exception to the rule of vandalism. What do you think about leaving an "ace space" on the sign (or basket; though not as practical) for these special instances where great shots occur. Personally, I think that aces should be an exception, but at the courses in Madison, they are eventually wiped out :(
I didn't vandalize, but (I guess for selfish reasons) I'd like to make it known to all, especialy on such a beautiful hole and an awesome occasion...
Have witnesses sign your disc, never vandalize or graffiti a sign. Yes, it’s a special moment…but treasure it as a moment. And before a round, mention that aces will cost everyone $5 bones and at that time, players will either say “aye or nay”
DO NOT SCRIBBLE ANYTHING ON PROPERTY!
Signs, baskets, anything...
it degrades the sport to that of cheapness.
Have your disc signed by those in the group.
And if you are in fifty-one get you $5 from those that participate in fifty-one.

You are bound to get more aces, soon not that you have that feeling!

Having installed signage and baskets, it's a pin in the arss to remove the shiiiit!
No need to mark up the course. Just have the park erect a statue of you on the spot. Nothing ostentatious, maybe along the lines of Mount Rushmore. :)

Congrats on your first ace. The first seems like it will never come.
Sorry to make it sound like I was encouraging people to vandalize, I was just answering the question at hand.. In hind sight it would be best to sign your own property and leave the vandelism to those whom ruin the courses with glass and cigerette butt's. I havent hit a ace in so long that I think I would sign the disc and high five those around me if I did.
In a past life I would have signed the back side of the basket number plate. But that was then.
Colorful point!
Ever to be so humble.
Have the players in your group sign your disc on the spot with the date, course and hole #.

Please don't sign the basket or tee sign - even if two thousand other Bozos have done it before you.

There is always a Sharpie in my bag (for marking discs).

51 is custom in all areas of the US I have played. That is $5.00 for an Ace and $1.00 for metal (basket and above).
To clarify - 51 is what the members of your group pay to you. In a tournament, if there is no ace fund, all the registered players should pay you $1.00, whether they were in your group or not.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968