www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Ok, this has happened to me twice now. It's a good problem to have if I say so. I sometimes play alone and throw multiple disc drives and sometimes play with friends. None of us "my group of friends" have ever aced off our first drive whether alone or with each other.

Basically, here's the question (I know it's superficial). I've hit a "hole-in-one" twice while alone. Once on my 5th drive and once on my 8th. When someone asks, do I say I've aced or not. It's all opinion obviously but it was pretty disappointing having noone with me or see it both times except God.

What do you guys think counts as a real ace?

Tags: Ace

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It really helps to have witnesses !!!!!!
I was really wondering how long it would take before someone mentioned Cubby. I've never met the guy, so I'm not going to say anything negative or positive about him, other than I'm sure he's very skilled with a disc. But I don't think that any of those aces he's videotaped qualify as an ace. The camera was obviously positioned to film the basket and then allowed to record while he made throw after throw until one finally went in. That would be fine if he posted the entire length of the video, but he doesn't. He posts the one throw that goes from tee to basket, never once making mention of how many tosses it took to get to that one throw. Any one new to this game that happened to stumble across these videos would think one of two things:

1.) Aces are easier to come by than they actually are, which for anyone whos ever picked up a disc knows is false, or
2.) Cubby is far more skilled than he really is, which again, is false.

I'm not saying Cubby isn't skilled, so please, don't start trashing me because I've expressed my opinion. I'm sure he'd hand me my ass every time, and I'm man enough to admit it. The question is, what qualifies as an ace, and throwing repetively until one hits chains is not. Like jim said, an ace is a hole in ONE. ONE! Calling it a "practice ace" or "mulligan ace" is okay with me, because the adjectives help clarify the accomplishment. God, I love this thread...
all of my aces are technically "practice" aces because none of them came during a tourny. so are some of you sayin that i dont have any aces? or are you sayin that i must qualify my aces with an asterisk? i think that is crap(mostly because i dont wanna tell people that i dont have any at all)
My name is Jake, and I have no aces. See? It's not so bad.

mothergoose said:
all of my aces are technically "practice" aces because none of them came during a tourny. so are some of you sayin that i dont have any aces? or are you sayin that i must qualify my aces with an asterisk? i think that is crap(mostly because i dont wanna tell people that i dont have any at all)
mothergoose said:

What people are referring to as "practice" aces aren't non-tourney aces, they're "aces" that result from standing on a tee and throwing multiple shots until one goes in. IMO, a legit ace is (1) witnessed, (2) the first shot by the player from tee to basket on a hole, and (3) part of a round of play which can be casual or competitive (league/tournament). Any shot from tee to basket other than that is not an ace...it's just a good shot.
hey now,so if I go to the dg course,play 18 holes ,hit basket from the tee with one throw,not repeated throws,it's an ACE or not.This would not be standing and throwing repeatedly,I'm playing a round.Many times there is no one around.Early work schedule and out by 1pm to go throw/play.So far no ACES.Hencforth,if I was to set up a video camera,played and was able to hit an ACE,it should count.This is accomplished while playing a round of disc golf and the only witness is the camera recording.Sound legit?Peace

JC said:
mothergoose said:

What people are referring to as "practice" aces aren't non-tourney aces, they're "aces" that result from standing on a tee and throwing multiple shots until one goes in. IMO, a legit ace is (1) witnessed, (2) the first shot by the player from tee to basket on a hole, and (3) part of a round of play which can be casual or competitive (league/tournament). Any shot from tee to basket other than that is not an ace...it's just a good shot.
My first ace was on hole 6 on the monster, one throw, no one there. I raised my hands to the gods, and said yeah, that was something, I wish someone had been there to see it. My second ace was either beauty or the beast, hole 13, 212, locals watching, bango, stayed in the basket. If there is no one to sign it, or it was not your first throw, give it up. An ace, is your first throw, not a practice shot. Keep shootin. If you hit one you'll hit another. First shot, it's an ace. Second shot, diddley squat..That's where I'm at, imagine that.

Dr. steve
Absolutely!! Those won't count on your scorecard obviously, but they are Aces. Just pretend you're on your 8th shot when it's your first.
In my opinion 'Ace' means you stepped on the tee threw ONE disc and it went in. That's why it's called an ACE, because you had no practice shots. When you stand on a Tee and unload your bag, your body is adjusting after every throw whether you realize it or not. In tournament play you will never ace on a subsequent TEE-shot because there aren't any (unless you throw OB and have to re-tee) and even then you are still gonna card at least a 3 for that hole because you received a penalty for going ob plus your first stroke. That doesn't sound like an ace, does it? If the rules of golf allowed a player multiple tee-shots then , yes, it would be an ace, but they don't. Please don't take offense, this is just my personal opinion. Btw. I have never aced, not even after multiple throws from the tee. : (

p.s. a wise man once said, "Skill is getting it close, luck is when it goes in."
i bet he walks down and puts the camera behind the basket and then walks back to the pad and throws every disc he owns till he gets one.
:)
mr ed said:
hey now,majority are caught on Cubby's video camera when throwing.Peace

moe. said:
I say no way! If you keep it up you will have as many aces as CUBBY. All BS to me,, but opinions are like A-holes. I have upset a few people on other boards for trashing Cubby, oh well.
If you play a course and empty your whole bag on a hole, you should not brag about aces.
Its kind of funny, how come when Cubby plays with his friends he never aces, but when he's by himself, he gets four aces in on night?
"i threw with Big John today, he left then I got 5 aces!"
IMO,if it's your first shot and goes in, it's an ace. If no one is around to see it, it's still an ace, just not as cool though.

Like others have said before, an ace is a bad shot that got lucky.
It's a practice ace....good throw though...just keep trying and you will get an ace in play!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968