www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've heard that it is acceptabe for Am division players to accept cash payouts at sanctioned and non-sanctioned events up to a certain dollar amount and maintain ther Am status. If true, is this per tourney, or is the dollar amount cumulative?

Views: 1178

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

$500 is tons of money...  to some people

Not for the amount of time all the people setting up the courses, seeking sponsors and running the event put in.

You're welcome.  Note that it's inside & outside.  I'm a TD for events on a private course, and club treasurer (and assisting TD) for club-run events on a public course.  But I'm also a lifelong Am, now in my 16th year of paying Am entry fees for tournaments, so have the benefit of seeing it from both sides.

I remember early on getting a bit P.O.'d about a tournament that charged normal entry fees (equivalent of about $40 in today's money), and only paid out trophy discs for top finishers.   What a rip-off!  I later learned that the course has been installed on credit from Innova, and the tournaments were paying off the debt on the baskets.  I wished they had been upfront about it....but I'm glad I didn't put my foot in my mouth spouting off about the "ripoff" I perceived.

Personally I wish the habit of paying Ams had never developed, and entry fees kept modest.  But that horse is out of the barn.

No CASH for ams.

No Prizes for ams.

Am entry goes to the PRO payout.

Ams receive trophies only.

Thanks for coming.

Move up soon...

CREATES INCENTIVE!!!

How do you figure paying $50 for a chance to win a trophy sounds appealing. Especially knowing the rest of your money goes to some pro you'll never even play against. Yeah for disc golf.

Guess what...

It does not have to be that much now...

You will get more players...

Win, win.

I did not make this up.

It is how it used to be.

I thought it was perfect.

I payed knowing my money was going to the pros and I thought that was fair.

I knew I would be one of them one day and I paid my dues.

I would get paid back in the end.

I am proud of all my amateur and advanced trophies.

I got no prizes. nothing. and it was perfect.

The pros got cash and trophies.

I yearned for it and worked towards it.

Never was it so perfect.

It is different now. 

There is no incentive now when you can just be a bagger, win a bunch of stuff that you sell in the parking lot and cash out. No reason to move up, you just cashed in the AMS.

As long as I got a bunch of young bucks looking to pay their dues, I guess I'll be fine.

See this still happening Today :  " 

There is no incentive now when you can just be a bagger, win a bunch of stuff that you sell in the parking lot and cash out. No reason to move up, you just cashed in the AMS.

We need to play for FUN....but pay the pros, it takes a lot of dues to get to that level and deserves recognition from someone and only disc golfers can really appreciate the excellence involved....bigger sponsors would help too....and I know of NO other sport where Ams are compensated with anything other than trophies...hence the difference between the definition of Am and Pro....just saying..

So lets see what I've learned.

Only give trophies to Ams, because they don't deserve anything else.

Don't give them plastic, beacause they'll just sell it in the parking lot.

Lower the price of Am tournies, because you just need to pay for insurance and a few trophies anyway.

Thank them for coming and tell them to move up soon.

Don't regocnize them.

There's going to be a bunch of them, tell them to win, win, win.

CTP trophy.

No ring of fire.

Am I getting this all down right?

Yep, but the same applies for so-called pros also. Pros and ams should be treated the same. Either have decent cash prizes for pros and merch prizes for ams with deductions for covering tournament expenses and profit from all purses, ams and pro. Or lower entry fees and have small cash payouts for pros and player packs with few or no prizes for Ams with deductions for tournament expenses from all players.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968