www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've heard that it is acceptabe for Am division players to accept cash payouts at sanctioned and non-sanctioned events up to a certain dollar amount and maintain ther Am status. If true, is this per tourney, or is the dollar amount cumulative?

Views: 1188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why do Ams have to worry about the payout? Aren't they there for the entertainment, camaraderie and overall experience?

Also, there is a big difference between "growing the sport of Disc Golf" and "growing purses in Disc Golf"...do we simply want to turn on new players to Disc Golf or are we trying to figure out ways to make a living at it?

In Florida, tournaments are legal, but entry fees are considered "sales" and are therefore subject to sales tax...

In Florida it is a second degree misdemeanor to stake money or anything of value "upon the result of any trial or contest of skill, speed or power or endurance of human or beast."  Fla. Stat. § 849.14.  Because of this statute the bowling industry has obtained a tournament exception for what they do, which is basically the same thing as what we do at our tournaments.  Fla. Stat. § 849.141.  There is no similar exception for disc golf. 

Fine print: I'm not licensed to practice law in Florida or offer legal advice in Florida.  Consult a Florida licensed attorney regarding the legality of your conduct in Florida. 

For entertainment, camaraderie, and the experience I play with my buddies. If I need organized play and competition, I can play the weeklies and monthlys. When I play a Tier'd tourney, I want something a little more. I doesn't have to be money, so don't get too hung up on that. Read the OP again, it wasn't supposed to be such a polorizing question.

Maybe time to close this thread.

like a pro regular ball golf tourney  i prefer to walk around and watch the boys play,  even the girls they're pros and they look and play a lot different than i would ...... i like to play folks at my own level, if i have a good day i can be 1-2- or 3 out of 10 and cash (that is if i'm allowed ) ..... that's great for me playing my peers and winning something other than plastic.  Pros don't play for plastic,  why should the ams in a friendly?  I wouldn't expect that in sanctioned event unless the rules would be changed to allow winnings up to say $3000 yearly.

What I have experienced lately is the AM's want to play for Money and the Pro's want MORE money.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968