www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've heard that it is acceptabe for Am division players to accept cash payouts at sanctioned and non-sanctioned events up to a certain dollar amount and maintain ther Am status. If true, is this per tourney, or is the dollar amount cumulative?

Views: 1186

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Prize pool for the 1983 Coors La Mirada Open was $5,000.00, shouldn't things have grown and or changed since then? I think just doing things the same ol' same ol' isn't getting us anywhere. Oh well, good luck guys.

That's cuz "Frisbee" isn't as popular in a mainstream sense as it was in the late 70's and early 80's.  Without that popularity, people watching, it's damn difficult to get sponsors to throw cash in.

I am really enjoying this conversation I must say.

i guess it matters what an individual is used to being payed

I firmly believe that players packs are way over rated and should be minimized. Just give me a shirt or a disc (maybe a hat). I sure as hell don't want a bag or lunch or a mini. I don't want stickers. This is a very informative discussion. Thank you to everyone contributing.

Amateur

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An amateur (French amateur "lover of", from Old French and ultimately from Latin amatorem nom. amator, "lover") is generally considered a person attached to a particular pursuit, study, or science, without pay and often without formal training.

Lets ask it this way. As an Amatuer, what do you look for in a tournament? Fee, player pack, trophy, etc......

Give a little info about yourself as well. Age, player rating, division, etc.....

As an AM I looked for competition and new friends to play with. I looked at is as a place to polish my skills to reach my goal of competing with the pros. Age-53, Players rating 976, I play Open, masters or Grandmasters depending on the event/ my hamstring injury. Top 10 Finishes in 2 worlds in Pro GM, top 20 finish in Pro Masters 2004 worlds, top 8th finish twice in Advanced Masters Worlds 2000, and 2001 (my last am event)...I play alot ...am out the door in an hour to play Lemon Lake, NW Indiana in 30 degree weather....Part of my mentality is to strive for improvement and the best way to gauge that improvement is at tournaments...best way to achieve it is practice and play ALOT...bottom line...it is one of the funnest things I do...

I'm looking for organized competion.  The leading factors in my choosing a tournament are the course, and the calendar (I can't play every weekend, so how it fits in a prospective schedule with other events).   I'm no fan of players packs of any kind; I'd rather pay $20-$25 and have no prizes at all, but would failing that, would rather have steeper payouts (top third) and no players packs.

Age 53, 903 rated, playing since 1995, for what it's worth.

i am a poor disc golfer, 935, play very few events because cost. i love the $10-25 unsanctioned events-especially byo partner doubles. I have disc golfed for about 6 years

I concur with Dave .... no player pack ..... maybe a $3 sandwich for lunch included ... pros keep all funds and added cash and pay out the field ...... I play am and I like the pros would play advanced GM with like contenders, guys that the TD knows are good players but not Pros and would compete for the am payout in cash .... my expenses exact same as the pro ..... gas to and from tourney, airfare, smaller entry fees etc etc.  ....... if a non sanctioned event,   just payout in cash so if I cash I can pay some of my expenses to offset my costs of participating.  There should be a PDGA  ruling to allow up to $2500 in cash earnings per year before you have turn pro. If you want to earn more turn pro.

Amateur

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  1. An amateur (Frenchamateur "lover of", from Old French and ultimately from Latin amatorem nom. amator, "lover") is generally considered a person attached to a particular pursuit, study, or science, without pay and often without formal training.

You pay your dues as an AM and compete for money as a Pro. If your skills won't let you play as a pro, either practice harder and longer til you can or accept that as an AM you are NOT entitled to any compensation and are playing for the love of the game. again NO other sport gives AMs anything more than a trophy and an occasional deli tray....why should our low profile sport be different? It is not fair to the PROs that have sacrificed to reach the level they are at....sacrifice gets rewarded....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968