www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have been playing for three years now and I have a big arm. I cant bomb them 500 on a regular basis but 400 is easy for me and I've hit 450 on a average if given the opportunity.

Regardless of that, I see a lot of people say they throw certain discs and they call them overstable or that they go dead straight for them. I'm smart and know that plastics, altitude and other factors of other players can manipulate how discs fly. When I hear someome say that a Sabre is an overstable discs with little fade it makes me wonder...........am I throwing discs too hard or are others not able to put enough speed on discs to make them fly as they are designed?

Should I practice scaling back discs is some cases or just throw slower discs like I have been doing?

Views: 421

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Keep on playing with Phil Arthur and the other good players from your area and mimic what they do, including their commitment to practicing.  Phil ain't great by accident.

The process of getting better is one of continual modification and experimenting.  Don't be hesitant to try new discs or styles.  Eventually you will find what works best for you. 

There is no such thing as throwing a disc too hard so long as you can control it.  The best players know how to torque on an overstable disc to turn it over or pure an understable disc to make it go straight.  Be greedy.  You want both of those skills.

I am only lucky enough to play with Phil on occasion, but every time I do I basically stalk him in terms of watching what he does. My next big tourney is the Jacksonville Open in April, I have a lot of potential, but I make dumb mistakes in tournies. Eventually I may "get it" and be able to compete in Advanced and begin to move up. I've only been playing off and on for 3 years.

Thanks Marc and everyone else.

Can u please describe how I would "pure an understable disc" as u say.

Release the disc smoothly and cleanly without flutter (off axis torque) or a big snap and at a slight hyzer angle.  You don't force this shot you persuade it.

A more exaggerated version of this shot is called a hyzer flip.  It is the same principle with a flippier disc which turns more but still ends up going straight down the center.

Maybe that is my problem

Gotcha. Thx!! I believe I have been trying to throw these shots too hard. Will have to ease up a bit to get that smooth release.

I think he means more so along the lines of form, clean and smooth form and release, don't be jerky with the hands in other words.

i once read smoother is further. it was in a wright brothers disc catalog

I hear "Smooth is Far" a lot

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968