www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have been playing for three years now and I have a big arm. I cant bomb them 500 on a regular basis but 400 is easy for me and I've hit 450 on a average if given the opportunity.

Regardless of that, I see a lot of people say they throw certain discs and they call them overstable or that they go dead straight for them. I'm smart and know that plastics, altitude and other factors of other players can manipulate how discs fly. When I hear someome say that a Sabre is an overstable discs with little fade it makes me wonder...........am I throwing discs too hard or are others not able to put enough speed on discs to make them fly as they are designed?

Should I practice scaling back discs is some cases or just throw slower discs like I have been doing?

Views: 416

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do what works for you. Don't worry about what a certain disc does for someone else.

I get that of course, but just for general conversation...........

I have a similar situation, except my max pull would be around 450'. On course with shaping shots and not just pulling straight D, i'm hitting 380-390 on several holes per round. We have a couple holes on my home course where I make the 400+ run and it's usually there when I need it.

Thats kind of where we split up, but not completely. I do have a few slower discs that I like to overpower distance, but I do it for shaping purposes. i have a lightweight Valk that I like to hit 400' flex shots with. I like to over power my teebirds and Rivers on lower lines out to almost the smae distance.

It really depends on the line and ceiling though. I have havocs and Vulcans that hit the 400+ much easier, you just have to have clean form. I suppose if I really worked with the Vulcan to see what I could get out of it i may have bigger numbers, but I don't see the need where I currently play. For me at my age, high speed understable, form sensative drivers is the easiest route. And when i do bust the big S with a slower disc, it is with lighter weight discs.

I'm 45 by the way.

If I'm understanding you correctly I believe I have had a similar question regarding how I am throwing understable discs.  First off a sabre is by no means meant to be an overstable disc.  Maybe a few of them are uncommonly overstable or they start off more overstable when they are just out of the box, but if you go by the numbers they are an understable disc similar to a leopard (which is what I throw) or a cheetah from innova (I compare it to innova since that is what I mainly throw and am familiar w/).  I am also wondering if I am correct in saying that the harder you throw a disc the more it will want to turn over??  Seems logical and I believe this is what you are saying, but I have also played with players who throw very understable discs...innova vulcan, roadrunner or leopard and they fly straight as an arrow w/ little fade at the end. These players are much more experienced and throw just as hard and harder than I do.  I throw the same discs and they turn over and often times never come back, unless of course I put some hyzer on it and let it flip up and fly straight.  But I've seen these other players throw the same discs flat and they stay flat and fly forever.... 300 - 380ft straight w/ little turn or fade.  Are they throwing w/ more snap/spin, less arm speed and on a flatter more level plane???  That's my guess..... anyone else have any ideas?

Most drivers are what they call speed stable.  If you can throw them past a certain speed, they'll turn over.  Like the TL.  If you can get them out to 330 or more, they'll start to turn over for you.  With the kind of power you guys are talking about it's highly unlikely you're doing anything wrong.  You just get enough speed to go beyond what they're designed for.

I've played a few rounds with Phil Arthur and it looks like he just throws so smoothly and gets around the same D as If I am ripping one. I assume most players cant throw with enough arm speed but I seem to only want to throw more stable discs until I get above teebird speed with the exception of the Glide and Meteor.

Man, I know I am giving no insight here, But I sure wish I had your Problem, Corndawg. :)

i think you have the right philosophy

Thanks, I think I have gotten away from my smoother throw due to taking a full time job and the daylight savings time crap hampering the amount of rounds I can play. My home course is also shorter now since I moved. I do seem to curl my wrist now, maybe that is my problem, but then again Avery Jenkins does it just fine!!

There are certain discs I rarely reach for or even ever consider buying.

It's annoying though because I have a hard time dialing down fairway drivers or ripping mids accurately.

Maybe a grip change would help for fairway drivers and mids. I know this is what I have to do to keep my fairways and mids auucrate. I go with modified fan grip.

Maybe so, my next tourney is not for a while so this is a good time to try and tweak some things.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968