www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Why doesn't thePDGA allow amateurs to receive cash Payout instead of a voucher or a stack of Plastic? I've heard that the Amateur's are just that and only the "professionals" are allowed to win cash. WHY?

Views: 10

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

HAHAHA! I just played my first sanctioned event. It was an A tier event. I had to wear a collar to play. I find myself wearing them to play casual rounds with my friends. It brings out the best I have. Makes me want to get better so I can play Open eventually. Leaving the cash for sanctioned events to Pro's only pushes the rest of us to get better. Want cash? Play more. Practice. Don't complain about not getting $$$ if your scores are no where near the leader scores.

Mark Stephens said:
They are going to tell you that you have to wear shirt with a collar to a NT or Major as a reason why. Plus, all of those rules of play. THE HORROR!!!
I just started playing last year in tournaments and I have not experienced this problem. Every tournament I have played in thusfar you have been paid at least 45% down with the last payout getting merch = or greater then entry fees. 80% of the once I have played in have had player packs equal to half the players entry fee. The only ones I have played without a nice player pack have been the 2 C-tiers I have been in. Last one my entry fee was $45 I got a star X-cal and ESP zone for a player pack. In 5th of 31 I was able to get 2 flx drones 2 z flick and one other disc. total value of retail for this stuff probably close to $100 or more.

da "kingpin" said:
very few times is half the field getting close to their money back in merch in the am pools. sometimes the they don't even award anything too int ams except for the winners trophy or equivalent. from what I've seen. maybe your a better TD than most, but I'm just tying to think outside the box to help the sport. because right now there are a ton of new players everyday but that will never turn this sport mainstream, with actual interest from outsiders, without changes in the current structure or governing body ( which is what they PDGA is not a association for professionals! otherwise why would they have am divisions?).

Mark Stephens said:
First, let me point out that I suck. I would like to think that my TD rating is much higher than my 862 player rating. So, this is coming from an "AM" player.

If you think that the AMs are getting the short end of the stick I think that you are SORELY wrong. AMs get it pretty good. 50% of the field usually walks away with close to what they paid to get into the tournament in retail. That is pretty great since it is a sporting competition & not a "5th grade make everyone feel warm & fuzzy on the inside" event. If a club or TD chooses to take the profit from the mark up on the discs and add it to the pro purse that is their choice. Another valid choice is to throw it in the club coffers. Nowhere is it written that it must be given back to the Am players. Why are they more deserving than the open players? They are not! Everyone is equal in my mind. Whatever the club chooses to do with ITS money, it can and should. It is not for anyone else to decide what the club has done with its profits because that is what they are. If the club is inclined to add it to the pro purse, baskets, huge club party, etc so be it. The money is theirs, they earned it.
my two cents. Don't combine the pros and ams in a tourney. The pros will win what ever money they put in and what sponsors can contribute. This would allow for the ams and all those who love the game to go and support the game by following the pros around. Buying from the pro fly mart eating their vendor supplied grub etc. How many of us have been at an "A" tier tour with all the pros and you can't even watch them play or see them throw at all. Look at the folks who go and watch their favorite pro play ball golf. I feel that if these events were held on diff. weekends than you might get a gallery to follow the lead group around. I know for myself I would go and see the big boys and girls throw. This would also help out the ams as for their tourney it would only be ams paying in and walking away with the goods which in turn helps out the local club with merchandise sales. Sounds like a win win.
I'm not hating on the PDGA, lets get that straight, i am a member. i just think the system is flawed. as far a merch for prizes, i like that. if you don't need anymore plastic take popular discs as your payout and sell them. i just am looking for a better way, don't bash my ideas just because you don't have any good ones of your own! i don't bitch about my problems, or anyone else's, i look for solutions to the problems of the sport and events participate in and love. i don't win much but i still pay to play, i am only allowed to do that because i make good money elsewhere, some don't and we need most them to feel good about spending their fees so they will return year after year to help fund course improvement/new installation.

as far as tourneys go.... some sandbaggers shouldn't be allowed to play advanced just because they don't become PDGA member to avoid getting rated and be restricted to playing in open only. thats a TDs fault, if you have somebody winning multiple events it is your responsibility my make/convince them to move up. some tourneys are fair, but some aren't. i think we need to come up with a way to force all TDs to have standards of equality as far as paying out the field, so they cant avoid PDGA sanctioning just so they can pad the pro purse to be able to take home a larger share when they finish high in the ranks. most that i play are good tourneys, run by good people, the ones that aren't i don't play in the following year. i'm not taking about those people/tourneys, I'm talking about shady shit that happens all the time and people look the other way.
i look forward to hearing your ideas for making tourneys better.
If we required amateurs to play within their rating range rather than play up, the cries of sandbagging would tone down. Every time we look at the stats, a high percentage of the whiners are the ones (typically Intermediates) who played up (typically in Advanced) and didn't cash because players at the high end of the ratings range won or cashed.
I support the seperate tournaments Idea It would prevent 85% of your sandbagging, and probally bring spectators. State officials and td's could come together and run A worlds like tourney in each state. If all the clubs pitched and actually ran a real state championship tourney than discgolf would begin to have state wide recognition. One banger Am tourney like bowling green and 1 banger pro tourney like the worlds or usdgc in each state. I dont think unity among discgolf clubs statewide is unobtainable it just hasn't been tried yet dont get me wrong the more the better so local clubs can still run b and c tiers, but the bigger tournaments like A and NT's could be ran on a statewide basis with multiple club officials involved..
Boy I really stirred the pot starting this thread. Keep the posts coming.
As far as fishing not being a sport, thats what other people say about disc golf.
Nascar Screwed up stock car racing? Come on bro. Have you been to a race lately..... well in the last few years? This years attendance is down , thanks to Mr. Bush, but I go to two races a year and they are always full and people spending lots of cash. Atlanta in March and Homestead in November. Packed and hotties everywhere and most of them have all their teeth.
their all toothless bleach blonde skanks. LOL jk. the problem with nascar was not the officials messing up the layout or anything it was because the sport blew up, then peaked. but new sponsers kept flooding the market, and the fan base can no longer support it, so they are dialing it back. but that has little to no similaritys to discgolf.

not aimed towards you mike just replyed to you so i could throw in the toothless skank comment.
Nascar Mike said:
Boy I really stirred the pot starting this thread. Keep the posts coming.
As far as fishing not being a sport, thats what other people say about disc golf.
Nascar Screwed up stock car racing? Come on bro. Have you been to a race lately..... well in the last few years? This years attendance is down , thanks to Mr. Bush, but I go to two races a year and they are always full and people spending lots of cash. Atlanta in March and Homestead in November. Packed and hotties everywhere and most of them have all their teeth.
I like to have a little something from play, it does not have to be cash. If i want to win cash then i have to put on the big girl panties and play with the big girls. Last year was my first time on a disc coarse and i thought it was cool that we would get t-shirts, mini's, disc, food, and a couple rounds with some really cool people.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968