www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hi everyone, I'm playing my second big tourney ever at what people say is an incredibly challenging  but awesome course. I just want any and all advise like where to throw or avoid on certain holes, what discs work, mental game, anything!

Views: 12

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Aside from the tee pads there are almost no FLAT spots on the Toboggan Course.  You must be able to throw long, controlled shots uphill and downhill from lies which are themselves uphill, downhill and sidehill.  All your practice on flat courses will do little to prepare you for the challenges of ELEVATION.

Oh, then there is the matter of endurance.  Disc golf is typically a gentle walk in the park.  The Toboggan is not a gentle walk, it is a haul.  There are 13 pretty steep uphill walks during the course (I count them so I know how many I have left), including the final two holes.  At the top of a hill, it is not time to rest, it is time to putt.  If you do not have adequate endurance it is hard to make putts.  If the weather Gods give you heat and humidity you may to have overcome sweat dripping off your face as you deal with the pressure of those final putts.

Most of the holes are pretty straightforward.  If your drives go very far and land in the short grass it is all good.  If your drives land in the rough it is best to be prepared with all manner of trick shots to get out (overheads, forehands) and body armor to minimize the blood loss.  Haha, that was a bit of a joke.  Although the Toboggan is a temporary course it has broken in substantially from when we put it in in 2000 and it is not nearly as punishing as it used to be. 

Try to play the course before the tourney.  I think they set-up the Toboggan a week or two before the tourney and leave it up a week or two after it's over.  From all the video I've seen, you'll need a cannon of an arm with those hills.  Plus the waist deep grass off the fairway and the up and down hiking in June, etc.

Good luck.

Play it, even dead last you won't regret it. Going 'big' often hurts more than it helps on Toboggan, if you don't have the shot don't do it a 3 is FINE on every single hole. Do NOT risk flipping right on #3. Don't pretend like it's a tough course because it's really not- they are REAL par 4's and 5's so play them like that and you'll finish better. Be ready for a serious workout. Make sure your shoes work well on rubber pads wet and dry.
Trust me, if you finish dead last at am nats you definitely regret ever hearing your name announced before tee off!

You can check out several videos from the Toboggan here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DiscGolfLive

Come expecting to have a great tournament experience and hoping to play well.  Listen to what Mark and Ben said.  You have to tailor your expectations to the course and try not to be a hero or you'll suffer more often than not.  Try to get there a few days early if you can to spend some time on the course.

If you have a ski hill course near you, play it.  The Tobbogan does not have a lot of narrow stuff in the woods.  It does have a lot of big crushes up and down hills. 

If you are allergic to Canadian blue grass, get the steroids.  If I qualify, I'll play.  On steroids! 

thanks everyone for the advise! I'm going to play Hyland Hills Ski course here in Bloomington and throw shot after shot from mid hill! I'm not trying to brag but my endurance has always been good, I workout 6-7 days a week, strength training, cross fit workouts, boxing, basketball etc. Just a matter of staying hydrated during the round. Thanks again!
Yeah on #2, #3, #6, #7, #9, #10, #11, #13, #15, #17, #18 you may need to run-up or putt from steep grassy hillsides so get ready for that. Many players throw into the ground right in front of them trying to run-up on the steep #2 for an upshot!
I have to say that Mark gave some great advise. The only thing that I would add is to not play the course the day before the event as it will only fatigue your body for the first day. Believe me having a fresh and rested arm for this course is important. Also every day that you play this course in a row you will feel it considerably more the next day, if you're not used to walking up very long and considerably steep hills, get practice doing it. The first day you won't feel the burn in your legs from walking up the hills the day before so take advantage of the fresh feeling because it won't be there by the third day. This is a course where it pays to be in good shape! If you are out of shape and overweight you should talk to your doctor before playing this event.
bring a caddy, and a backup caddy.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968