www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I just shaved my head and I'm debating if I should not wear sunscreen so I can tan the top of my head or if I should try to tan my head while sunscreen is on (is that even possible?). What do you guys suggest?

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think your head would burn, not tan, as its probably not used to a lot of sun. Go the sunscreen option.
i have a blad spot the size of about a dime, but ive had it since birth. its gotten sunburnt before, but i was on a beach in mexico for over a week, so that not very common i guess.
A sunburn is no problem... UNTIL IT IS ON THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD! I have been bald for a few years now and I am very cautious of how much sun I give my scalp. Give it sun in moderation. After 15 minutes or so put a hat on or lube that noggin up with some sunblock. Believe it or not, the top of your head is one of the most sensitive places on your body... so dont upset it.
You gotta be kidden me dude! Are you naturally bald or cosmeticly bald? You know...fashion statement bald. Well...in answer to your question... of course wear some sort of covering. If you don't want that... wear some sort of sunscreen. Being naturally bald, I wear a hat and sunscreen together. I like to take my hat off at some point for awhile to get the top of my head tanned (I'm a white dude). You know... it looks kind of funny with a two toned head. In the winter months (if you have a winter)... wear a military beret. If you start getting warm...take your hat off for about three minutes. It's very refreshing and it will cool you off. Well... good luck with your shaved head. Oh...with those people with balding pates...it's alright to shave your head or have a very short hair-cut. It's a real drag figuring out what to do with the comb-over. Plus...women don't like comb-overs at all. Hope all this helps.
K.
A dime size bald spot huh? I hope it doesn't get any larger. My bald spot is the size of a buttermilk pancake. Sometimes I actually place a buttermilk pancake on my head to keep the sun off. That's only when we have buttermilk pancakes for breakfast though. Which isn't very often.
Hope this helps.
K.

joshlotto said:
i have a blad spot the size of about a dime, but ive had it since birth. its gotten sunburnt before, but i was on a beach in mexico for over a week, so that not very common i guess.
Since the military, I have shaved m head non-stop. Not shiny orb bald but electric clipper bald. I guess I have been lucky because I have never gotten the top of the head really burnt. But sun screen and/or a hat can never hurt.
I'm not sure if you were talking to me or the guy with the dime sized bald spot lol. But I shave my head because I have thinning hair. I'm young too and I feel much more confident when I don't have to worry about my hair. So you have been able to get the top of your head darker while exposing your head even with sunscreen on? I just wasn't sure if sunscreen would prevent me from tanning since I thought the only way for you to tan is to actually burn your skin. Then the skin becomes darker as a defense mechanism.

Ken Long said:
You gotta be kidden me dude! Are you naturally bald or cosmeticly bald? You know...fashion statement bald. Well...in answer to your question... of course wear some sort of covering. If you don't want that... wear some sort of sunscreen. Being naturally bald, I wear a hat and sunscreen together. I like to take my hat off at some point for awhile to get the top of my head tanned (I'm a white dude). You know... it looks kind of funny with a two toned head. In the winter months (if you have a winter)... wear a military beret. If you start getting warm...take your hat off for about three minutes. It's very refreshing and it will cool you off. Well... good luck with your shaved head. Oh...with those people with balding pates...it's alright to shave your head or have a very short hair-cut. It's a real drag figuring out what to do with the comb-over. Plus...women don't like comb-overs at all. Hope all this helps.
K.
Definitely wear some sort of sunscreen. When I first started shaving my head* I thought I didn't put anything on it because I wanted it to tan faster and I hated the two tone look. That was a big mistake as I got a sun burn and it was not even summertime. You just don't think about how much sun your head gets until you are bald. During the summer I always have to remember to either wear a hat or put on some sunscreen, I prefer the sunscreen. Also, I would either use some sort of sunscreen with moisturizer in it otherwise your gonna have flakes.

*My hair was getting very thin on top and I was sick of trying to find different hairstyles to hide the fact that it was thinning.
UPDATE: my case in point. Today I enjoyed a full day of disc golf at The Lodge and it was a beautiful sunny day. I forgot sunscreen and now the skin on top if my head is sore. A burn on the bald scalp hurts like a mo fo!

unclebobbyjr said:
Definitely wear some sort of sunscreen. When I first started shaving my head* I thought I didn't put anything on it because I wanted it to tan faster and I hated the two tone look. That was a big mistake as I got a sun burn and it was not even summertime. You just don't think about how much sun your head gets until you are bald. During the summer I always have to remember to either wear a hat or put on some sunscreen, I prefer the sunscreen. Also, I would either use some sort of sunscreen with moisturizer in it otherwise your gonna have flakes.
*My hair was getting very thin on top and I was sick of trying to find different hairstyles to hide the fact that it was thinning.
AHAHAH he said "lube that noggin" ROFL

Noah Brooks said:
A sunburn is no problem... UNTIL IT IS ON THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD! I have been bald for a few years now and I am very cautious of how much sun I give my scalp. Give it sun in moderation. After 15 minutes or so put a hat on or lube that noggin up with some sunblock. Believe it or not, the top of your head is one of the most sensitive places on your body... so dont upset it.
No Sunscreen, but I always wear a rag and a hat. Nothing worse than sweat in the eyes with no hair to catch it.
just a little tip for you.......YOU BETTER GET SOME SUNSCREEN!!!!!! Saturday was the first real sunny day we have had and my noggin is crispy red! There is no tanning a bald head. Better yet if you can stand it wear a hat.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968