www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

At my home course, hole #7 is notorious for claiming plastic. It's between 300' - 350' and plays across a small bay to the basket standing near the edge of the water. Let's just say there's a small fortune in plastic laying at the bottom of Lake Wazeecha, particularly in this immediate vicinity. On three seperate occasions, I've witnessed three different groups of golfers skip this hole entirely, so I'm pretty sure this happens a lot. I just assume it's because they'd rather not lose their discs. I too would rather hang on to what little plastic I have, but for some reason, I feel like if I skip this hole, I'm not doing myself or my game any favors. And besides, there's no reason why I can't go in after one (or six) if I happen to shank badly enough. But I digress...

Are there any holes out there that you or people you know intentionally skip? If so, why?

Tags: difficult, disc, golf, holes, lost, skip

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ben Calhoun said:
Sounds like bad course design. It shouldn't go more that 100-150' over water without an option to go around (and without adding countless throws to have to go around).

My bad. I should have mentioned that there is an alternate (and much safer) route available. The reward is much greater, however, if you take the risky alternative, but if you don't, you're looking at par or worse. Birdie? Maybe with an almost PERFECT throw. Even so, I still don't understand why so many golfers skip this hole, but I've got it pegged to two reasons:

1: They don't want to lose a disc, (to which I say "Sh*t happens..") or

2: They don't want a bad score (to which I say "You play disc golf. Get used to it...")

The last hole at my home course- Oak Park. Very pretty hole, very stinky pondwater.
The hole is very reachable (maybe 275), but I get psyched out by the water every time. It used to be bearable, getting in to retrieve your disc, but now the pond is alive. The stench is horrible- even worse if you stir up the water. I've been playing here for 8 years now & have earned the right to skip this hole (yes, I'll gladly accept pussy status). I don't think that pond scum smell comes off.
lol, well put. You have a mighty nice exception there I would say. I think you earn a non-pussy status for that hole. Maybe buy a stack of really cheap DX or Pro D for that hole to help get over the mental block of the water taking your discs.

Duh said:

The last hole at my home course- Oak Park. Very pretty hole, very stinky pondwater.
The hole is very reachable (maybe 275), but I get psyched out by the water every time. It used to be bearable, getting in to retrieve your disc, but now the pond is alive. The stench is horrible- even worse if you stir up the water. I've been playing here for 8 years now & have earned the right to skip this hole (yes, I'll gladly accept pussy status). I don't think that pond scum smell comes off.
Duh-
What with the pond being "alive", not to mention the possibility of attaining a permanent stink that would most likely affect your success with the ladies, I hereby grant you exemption from "pussy status" when skipping this hole. However, if at any point you physically 'skip' while skipping this hole, your exempt status will immediately go under review and may, without previous warning, be revoked.

Yours-
C4B
Board Director for The Association of Smelly Swamp Water Ettiquette and Treatment
or A.S.S.W.E.T
Hole #1 at Victor Ashe in Knoxville, TN. It plays out over a large pond. Having to play this hole straight out of the parking lot is a little daunting. The only time I ever throw hole #1 is in a tourney. The first time I threw on this hole my Star destroyer hyzered right into the water. My second shot (taken from a drop at the waters edge) almost made it across but also went into the water. After taking a 'seven' I now bring a special (re: crappy) disc to throw on this one hole. No stress!
Thanks guys! I will try not to "skip" so I can get my A.S.S.W.E.T. card/membership. Or is it more of a license?

FYI- I am a lady, not really interested in them.
& a pussy, but that's OK for girls right?

I'll give the whole crappy disc thing a shot. That's all I need is a little confidence boost; I'll go prove I can do it. Then I won't have to skip or get my A.S.S.W.E.T
Duh said:
Thanks guys! I will try not to "skip" so I can get my A.S.S.W.E.T. card/membership. Or is it more of a license?
FYI- I am a lady, not really interested in them. & a pussy, but that's OK for girls right?
I'll give the whole crappy disc thing a shot. That's all I need is a little confidence boost; I'll go prove I can do it. Then I won't have to skip or get my A.S.S.W.E.T

That is my favorite hole at oak! That pond is actually man made and only about knee deep, maybe a little deeper. I had to go in one day when we were emptying the bag across there....if they'd kill the moss in it, it wouldn't be so bad!!!!
There's moss growing in the water?
Ya know- they used to empty the pond every once in awhile, but that hasn't happened for a few years.
I guess the creek they added just north of the pond is supposed to keep the water flowing better so it won't get so nasty. Don't think that's workin out so well; keeps getting stopped up with debri.

It's gotta be more than just moss growing in there; if you stir up the crap sitting on the bottom, it smells like rotten eggs/the city dump. I wouldn't be suprised if "the Blob" crawls out of our pond & starts eating disc golfers one of these days.
Hole 14 at Riverside Park in Grand Rapids MI is one that a lot of people skip. Peninsula hole , about 40ft wide at the widest part, slight dogleg left, I have to say that I do skip it, but not because I don't want to lose discs, but because of the apt nickname the hole has earned: "Goosepoop Point". The entire peninsula is literally slick in goose poop, no avoiding it, and it is absolutely rank in the summertime. Right now , however, the decision to skip is easy; The entire peninsula is underwater, creating a rather picturesque sight of an Innova basket seemingly floating right out in the middle of a river.
One I would like to skip I think it is 14 or 15 at River Bends in Utica, MI Have to throw it over the clinton river and if you hit a tree you are toast.

However, I never would skip it because I feel it makes me a better player and the need to be more accurate on holes like this will make me more accurate overall.
A.S.S.W.E.T. ....now that's funny!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968