www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

There may have been a post on this already but I couldn't find it. I'm new to the sport and very recently discovered that I like throwing thumbers. Tomahawks come out all floppy when I try to throw them, but thumbers look and feel natural for me. I'd like to know if there's any tips on how to maximize the distance on a thumber and any general insight on the best situations in which to use them. It's a fun way to throw and I'd like to hear some input or experiences on how they can be used effectively.

Views: 7

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

seems like all newbs like throwing thumbers better, i dont get it. i might throw one thumber in 3 rounds.
I just about only throw thumbers. You just have to play with the angle at which you release the disc. Its really hard to explain. Think about the disc being a hand on a clock when you look at it on end ( either \, |, or / when your holding it). This also depends on the stability of your disc you are throwing. There are so many factors. Where you release can cause you to get better distance. Pretty much what I am saying play around with some discs in an open field and see what works. Its something that is easier to show then tell. I can't really say too much I'm still working on my game. I'm just passing along what I've been taught.
I know a few guys who throw them for drives,one of them throws it 360+, I use it to get out of trouble when thats all I have for a shot.
Check this out http://www.discraft.com/vid/html/dg08.html
Disc nut said:
I know a few guys who throw them for drives,one of them throws it 360+, I use it to get out of trouble when thats all I have for a shot.
Check this out http://www.discraft.com/vid/html/dg08.html

Is that James? I haven't seen him throw it yet. I'm working on the throw myself. I think I'm up to 260 ft.
Yes! I've seen him drive old hole 2 FDL.
Disc nut said:
Yes! I've seen him drive old hole 2 FDL.

That's cheating!!!
I'm new to the sport and I too love throwing thumbers. I used to play a lot of baseball, so it seemed to come naturally to me. One thing I would stress is trying different discs, since disc shapes seem to affect overhead shots like no other. I've got a fresh avenger SS in Z plastic that has a flight path like tiny corkscrew. The radius formed by the corkscrew couldn't be more than ten feet wide. My beat up firebird forms these huge sweeping turns that can be used instead of some hyzer/anhyzer shots.
Also, DEFIANTLY try what Cassidy suggested. You will be amazed at what you can pull of with this throw when small things get tweaked. Word to the wise though: there are good reasons why most pros don't rely on this shot. One is that it can be extremely destructive on your shoulder. I also think that there is a limit to how far you can go with this shot too. Still one of my most accurate shots though.
i only throw the thumber for shot tomahawk shots that need to fall left (for right hand throws)
i don't know how anyone could do a thumber over two twenty that seems impossible to me but i stick to my side arm and backhand for distance
I can throw a thumber over 300' and a tomahawk around 250', give me an Epic and it will go even further. I have played with a few people that can throw a thumber over 400'. It is definitely possible. The guy that throws it 400' can also throw a backhand 550'. Thumbers and tomahawks can be very handy on certain shots where you need distance but need to thread a gap, or a nice scooby skip shot. They can really become a crutch shot for newer players which is bad because they are limiting their game so much. You also need to be aware of the possible injuries associated with these shots especially if that is what you throw all of the time. I have known at least 3 people that have blown out their rotator cuff throwing these shots, and it looks very painful.

Basically with a thumber or tomahawk there are many variables that factor into how much distance you get and also what type of flight you want the disc to have. For 300' I use a Z Talon, the Z Talon turns very slow which gives it more distance. I release it between 11-12:00 right handed. I use an extremely tight pinch grip and snap it very hard using my elbow and wrist (not my shoulder) to power the throw. The release point can greatly affect the arch of the flight path, that also depends on how far you want the disc to go. For shorter throws you might need a different disc that turns quicker, for 150-200' shots I'll use a X Talon or a ESP Pulse. The X Talon turns a lot faster than the Pulse. Of course you may find some other discs you like (Firebirds and Flicks are other favorites), generally the more overstable, flat topped, and triangular shaped rims, are the best for this type of shot. Just be careful and stop throwing them if you feel pain in your shoulder or elbow.

jesse p. mccain said:
i don't know how anyone could do a thumber over two twenty that seems impossible to me but i stick to my side arm and backhand for distance
Wow, really great feedback here! Thanks everyone. I've been throwing thumbers with a Wraith and an Orc only thus far. I get pretty much the same action out of both those discs. Rather than use that shot to go over trees though, I've been using it to go through some tight tree obstacles with low ceilings. I've found I'm much less likely to hit a tree that way and can better gauge where I'm gonna land (although I sacrifice a LOT of distance).

One thing I have noticed is that my shoulder has been a little sore recently. Particularly under my collar bone. Based on some of these comments looks like I need to a) lay off that shot for a while, and b) work on my technique (Thanks Mike for pointing out to use the wrist and elbow rather than the shoulder, I think I'm guilty of that).

Don't know that I'd ever shoot 360+ with one but 275 - 300 would be just fine with me.
dude, you're throwing a 400' thumber?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968