www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I'm having trouble outside 40ft.  I use 175g putters.  Do any of you find an understable putter helpful or perhaps a lighter one for jumps?  Love my Wizards but may opt out for putters with more range/glide.  Any thoughts?

Views: 31

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have been playing Disc Golf since 1998 and I have tried a wide variety of putters.  Based off of another discussion here, I plan on trying a Wizard/Warlock ASAP.  But of all the putters I have been using....I keep coming back to the Magnet.  My Rhyno is great, my KC Aviar is great....But my Magnets have stayed with me all these years.  The don't look great by any means, but man, they still hit the chains.  I personally prefer my putters as heavy as I can get them (same with the Buzzz).  I feel more confident making that 100ft putt knowing I have some weight in my hands and they just seem to glide better, especially if I need some more power at the greater distance.  For the longer putts, I try to line up my throwing shoulder directly with the pin.  Even if I have to turn my body some and reach a little further back, I want my wrist to snap right on the line and release.  My biggest problem is over throwing, but you have to get some meat in that swing to hit that far putt.  I also try to putt more of a snap in my release, because you aren't needing all the power you need for that drive, so I don't want to put my whole arm into the putt.  I want a nice, easy, smooth shot on line to hit those chains.  And follow through too.  Just like on a drive, you want your arm to continue and follow through.   

Remember....Drive for show, putt for dough

Try Lighter Putters outside 40 !

I have only been playing seriously for about a year or so.  I have a "Magnet" that I use as a putter.  But when I am 20 to 40 feet away, I use my "Ching" driver.  After 40 feet, I do not consider it to be a putt, I consider it a hail mary.  But back to my point.  I use that beat up ching for my long putts because it holds the line better, and is less suspitable to wind conditions.

i putt with soft magnets and they are great. i used to use a challenger which is similar to a wizard and found that i was alot better off with a less stable putter. jump putting is a very valuable skill to learn which will help you considerably outside of 40. i think discraft has a video on the topic.
Jump Putt I didn't like the idea at first but when you get your timing right its accurate

If your putter works inside 40 feet, then it will work outside 40 feet too.

Have you tried "jump putting?"

Use the same putter from all distances. 175 grams KC Pro Aviar here.

Find more videos like this on www.DiscGolfersR.Us

I can jump putt however I don't have the pop or snap necessary to really reach for some of these 70ft putts.  How does one develop pop on release.  Thanks for your reply.
One thing I do is the farther back I go, I aim higher and more to the right. Allowing the disc to more room to work. So say at 50 feet I'm aiming as high as the number plate, and the far right link. Lighter putters are easier to putt longer, I got a 150g I can make huge putts with, but then the wind is more of an issue. Keep in mind there are so many different ways to putt so what works for me, may make you the worst putter in the world lol.
What is your putting style?  That'll help decide on what you might try.  Also, I putt with 168g Magics as they're straight flyer.
Outside 40 or 50 feet I change stance and grip. I take an upshot stance and grip and release with some snap and a little nose up so as not to fly right on by the hole. This is especially effective if you have a natural backstop. Or you can develop a sidearm in the same manner.
foot fault
imo a firmer grip and smooth release helped me get out to 50 -60 ' putts .

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968