www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have been throwing Magnets for many a years now and was wondering if anyone knew the history behind them. I have one disc that I bought back in 2004 and some others that I have bought recently. The one I bought in 2004 seems to have a different rim on it, but I can't tell if it's just because of wear and tear or if it is a different mold. Also I noticed that they have different amounts of chains on the stamp. Is there a reason for this?

Tags: magnet

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Magnet came out soon before I started playing so I'm not an expert on the issue. But it is a great disc and I have always loved them. For putts or short upshots the Magnet or the Rattler are the discs I use.

Magnets come in hard or soft plastic. For the past couple years I have been lobbying Discraft to make medium stiffness Magnets because those are the ones I like best. Either they started listening or they grew tired of my nagging because the latest runs of Soft Magnets have some colors which are stiffer and the latest runs of Hard Magnets have some colors which are softer. If you want medium firm putters and you live in a place that has real winters then you need them at different levels because plastic gets harder in the cold and softer in the heat.

I was playing yesterday with Jim Kenner (owner of Discraft) and Brian Graham (PDGA Executive Director). Brian was trying out a new Magnet and Jim told a story I have never heard before. Jim chose the name "magnet" because as he was developing the mold he experimented with magnetic filings in the plastic. Huh! And I thought all this time they flew so well because of my skill. :) It is also possible that Jim was just joking (although it didn't sound like it to me) because he is like that.

I have never asked but I believe the Magnet mold has never been changed. I have and have used first run Magnets and have probably tested every run since then. The bottom of the rim will wear off with enough use and look different. And the different blends of plastic which have been used over the years will all dry a bit differently which affects the shape (primarily the dominess of the flight plate).
Magnets in the putter... the new "corked bat" of disc golf.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968