www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've been told not to throw this disc, "it's worth money", " I wouldn't throw that on this hole!".
I love this disc and am told tons about it except what it's worth. Maybe because the other thing I hear is "What do you want for it?" I'm I a sucker,? SHould I continue to throw?
I've been some kind of lucky to have lost this disc twice and have been soo lucky to get back. One time weeks after by a friend. The other four months later walking though water after another disc. (today)
Yes, yes, some knid of luck.

Tags: CE, Valkyrie

Views: 8

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Got one just like this, but pink. Love the disc too much to throw it in a box in the basement. I've got tons down there already, this one needs to fly and breathe! As for selling it? No, it would cost too much to replace it in measures beyond common currency.

That being said, I've gotten a bit more protective of it and no longer throw it in deep snow conditions and other very obvious situations where it could easily be lost. Never worried about breaking it as it stays flexible in cold, but I put it away in the winter now to avoid snow depth hazards and the like.

All bundled up in the cold, a basic Pro Valk (a 'today' disc) does just fine as a winter or water shot replacement and feels very close to the same. Needs a bit of beating in, but its a disc that will fit into your bag well. Consider it the vintage Valk's stunt man. And if you lose it, it can be replaced without leveraging the last of your remaining home equity!
I have never seen a candy disc shatter from impact or impact plus cold. I would guess that one of two things happened: Either there was some flaw in the disc leading to its demise (unlikely) or the disc was not shattered, it was sliced or punctured.

I have seen sliced candy discs from use (Ben Calhoun showed me one) and I have seen candy purposely sliced with a sharp edge in the factory when we were looking for molding flaws.

With a razor blade or a knife you can slice a candy disc easily. If your disc in flight contacts a sharp edge or pointed object at the right angle your disc is toast. On the other hand you can take your candy disc to a brick wall and throw it as hard as you can for as long as want and the disc will not shatter. You can batter the edges of the disc. You can blow out your shoulder. You can grow old. Your disc will still be in one piece.

Go try it. Get back with me in a while.

JeremyRogers said:
agreed, use with discression, and do not use it if it is at all cold outside, im in FL and it was chilly and my friend shattered his CE Valk just like that against a tree, probably 3 weeks ago...
I too have certain discs that i do not throw at all. I also have discs that i do not throw around water at all. I have believed that you buy it to throw it.
Well I have alot of collectors discs. But I wouldn't think twice about using them if I wanted them for my bag. but for now I have generic copies o'plenty of all my current throwing stock. What would people say if I showed up throwing one of my signed Val or Avery or Barry Destroyers? Dave Feldberg Boss? Just to name a few.
hate to hijack the thread but its still kinda relevant. i actually found a ce valk last summer at my local course. there is a spot where people stash found discs but i knew it was older/valuable and didnt want someone to snag it. there was an email on it so i figured no problem. first email, person is excited. said they will hit me up in the next week or so. gave my number. no follow-up. two months later, i send another email. ask the person what they want to do. i even offered to mail it at my expense just to get it back to the person. no response. i would keep it to throw but its well worn and pretty light. i wouldnt be as concerned if it werent so rare. i guess i would feel better about trading it then selling outright. any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks!
You made the effort, that's all you can do. I would say you gave them a reasonable amout of time to either get it from you or give you instructions to mail it to them. Two or three months, I would say it is yours. If you throw it and like it...use it. It has already been used, and they are great discs even after they have been thrown, just worth a little less. That guy/girl would probably keep using it if they got it back. If you don't really need it in your bag then hold on to it, it will keep increasing in value to those who do throw them but are running out of places to get them as they are OOP. If you want to trade it, or sell it...do it. It's in your hands, what do you want to do?

GLong said:
hate to hijack the thread but its still kinda relevant. i actually found a ce valk last summer at my local course. there is a spot where people stash found discs but i knew it was older/valuable and didnt want someone to snag it. there was an email on it so i figured no problem. first email, person is excited. said they will hit me up in the next week or so. gave my number. no follow-up. two months later, i send another email. ask the person what they want to do. i even offered to mail it at my expense just to get it back to the person. no response. i would keep it to throw but its well worn and pretty light. i wouldnt be as concerned if it werent so rare. i guess i would feel better about trading it then selling outright. any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks!
I suppose the correct term would be that it did not shatter, but it "split" three ways connecting from almost in the center , one split reaching all the way to the edge of the rim and hanging on like a hang nail, I'm sure the cool weather had somthing to do w/ making the weathered FL CE plastic combust like it did against a very hard tree

mark ellis said:
I have never seen a candy disc shatter from impact or impact plus cold. I would guess that one of two things happened: Either there was some flaw in the disc leading to its demise (unlikely) or the disc was not shattered, it was sliced or punctured.

I have seen sliced candy discs from use (Ben Calhoun showed me one) and I have seen candy purposely sliced with a sharp edge in the factory when we were looking for molding flaws.

With a razor blade or a knife you can slice a candy disc easily. If your disc in flight contacts a sharp edge or pointed object at the right angle your disc is toast. On the other hand you can take your candy disc to a brick wall and throw it as hard as you can for as long as want and the disc will not shatter. You can batter the edges of the disc. You can blow out your shoulder. You can grow old. Your disc will still be in one piece.

Go try it. Get back with me in a while.

JeremyRogers said:
agreed, use with discression, and do not use it if it is at all cold outside, im in FL and it was chilly and my friend shattered his CE Valk just like that against a tree, probably 3 weeks ago...
If a disc is weathered and brittle it can crack in any condition, hot or cold. Just depends on how it impacts said object and at what speed. 30-40*F is just not that cold for any disc to break. That would be a welcomed heat wave up here right now.
$ 35.00 used , but it's throwing stock !!!!
I had a great CE Valk that was a swirled tye dye, but I lost it in the blackberrys... :(

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968