www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

We are adopting a Rat Terrier (much Cooler than the name implies) from a Rescue outfit on thursday. I want to give him sometime to acclimate to the new surroundings, but then I want to get him out on the course with me. They are an Active dog, so I know he won't have problems keeping up.

I was playing at a home course last week and a guy showed up with a Golden Retriever. It had saddlebags that the guy had made that was his disc bag. The dog was his caddie. THEN, when he ganked a shot into the woods, he sent the dog in after it. When the dog found the disc, it stayed put and barked till he got there. How freekin cool is that?

So mostly, wondering if anyone golfs with there dogs and what kind of experience it is? Do you recommend it?

Views: 347

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, sounds like mixed reviews. I appreciate all the feedback Y'all. I 'll give him a few weeks to acclimate to his new home, then I will try and take him out. They opened a brand new 9 hole course out in the boonies about 30 miles from my house. I have been playing it lately and its a nice, short course with NO ONE else there during the day, other than dog walkers. That might be a better place to try him out on DG than a busier home course. Thanks again everyone.
Very simple answer. If you can train your dog not to chase discs or dance around the pad while others are trying to throw, TAKE HIM. My dog passed away earlier this year, rather suddenly, and his favorite activity was going golfing with me. He stayed an the leash at all times except when he saw a squirrel, I would let him go... only had to go as far as the nearest tree to get him back. Take Him !!

They don't throw for crap either.

Rest In Peace Jackson!

I have a very well behaved Jack Russel. I have trained him in English, hand commands, and Michigan bird calls. He always hangs with me and never runs off...however, there is something about disc golf that makes go berzerk. I tried twice to bring him with me with nothing but hassles. I think it all comes down to the particular dog in question, some can handle and others...are just dingos.

Yeah, we have some real dongs on our course!

I have a yellow lab. She is a pain for the first 3 or 4 holes but after that she lays down when I or anyone else throws. In the first few holes she is just really hyper and excited to be out. Doesn't chase discs just gets in the way when I throw. But for the most part she is a good dog!

The most annoying "trash" is dog sh.. not picked up by their irresponsible owners.Throw away trash from humans seem to be the norm everywhere,haul it in,haul it out.

Most public parks have a leash law for dogs,however there are those that seem the rule does not apply to them.Personally,I have no problem with dogs, but I'd rather play dg without them around.

Congratulations on your new friend. 

We recently adopted a Golden/Husky mix. She goes with me to every course that will allow dogs. I leash her to my bag and she is a walking companion. She does not chase disks, nor retrieve them. She sits patiently while I throw and then we move on. It is relaxing and a good experience for both of us. 

Best of luck!

Ed,

One year there was a temp course at the Canyon (Brooksville).

It was in a cow pasture. Should have seen the manure piles everywhere.....

I'm not an anti dog person...have four of them...but don't take mine to the course w/me, just think it's inconsiderate of others.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968