www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I was thinking about this the other day. Over the past few months with companies coming out with "long range" drivers a noddle arm such as myself can throw (Flow, Katana, Nuke, Vulcan etc...). I've been able to birdie holes that were a jump putt or upshot. So, a hard faught "2", but normally a solid "3". Now, they are pick up your disc and slap the chains birdies. Don't get me wrong, I'm kind of digging it and I also know accuracy and solid putting still plays a roll.

Look at the PGA when they had to start "Tiger proofing" courses and I'm not talking about hiding the women lol! Also they started restricting makes/styles of clubs. I've already started to see "insert pro name" proofing of courses. Ya, know, with crime scene tape all over the place for "OB's" and what not. My home course has also extended some holes with new pin placements, but you can only go so far before you run out of property.

So what's next? Are we headed towards restricting what companies can do? Yes, I know they (PDGA) already do to some degree, but will the powers that be. Have to become even more restrictive? Or can you only push disc tech so far before it's self limiting?

Would love to hear what Chuck, Dave D, Mark and the rest of you all have to say!

Peace!

Views: 22

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Am I the only one that likes excitement!  I mean who cares about the fast discs it makes people more interested in playing if they just start and can throw 300 feet, they'll be excited to continue to play. Keep the fast discs coming, bump it up to 15 speed, what does it matter if you can't hit a 15 foot gap! How many holes are wide open with no obstacles and 500-600 feet away? Not many. How many are dog legs, blind shots, technical shots, water shots, a lot. Let the noobs be proud they can throw 350 you know you can beat them with skill anyways! But they will continue to play because everyone likes the flight of the disc and everyone loves to throw far!
I agree! It still takes practice and skill to become good at this game just because someone can pick up a disc and throw it 300 feet with no accuracy doesn't mean that they are going to be close to the pin.  and even if they are I have seen people that don't practice 3 putt after being within 30 feet.

Unless the course is designed as an open field, I see no advantage in being able to throw 1,000 feet. It has taken me 2 years of daily practice after learning of the X step and power grip to be able to throw 350'. That is a good throw for me, my average is about 285-315 with extreme accuracy and consistency. I am on the course daily and rarely do I see anyone throwing 300'. Most are throwing in the 225-250 range. I do run into a group every now and then that can toss 400'+, but that is uncommon.

The irony is on a 450' hole, I can easily par(3) with a 250' drive and a 200' approach which lands me right next to the basket for a drop-in par. In contrast, someone that can toss a 400' drive still has to make a 50' approach to land next to the basket for a drop-in putt. Score remians tied!

I realize there are some big arms out there, but I often wonder how many of these 450'+ throws are accurately measured. I spoke to a guy once who claimed he could throw 500'. I asked how he measured the distance and his reply was: "I threw it at the basket and it landed right next to the pole, it's the longest hole on the course and it looks like it is at least 500 ft". What a moron!

I'll remain happy with my 350' and I hope they continue to improve plastic for greater distance as it sure is fun to watch those long flights.

By the way, I measure my distance using a GPS survey grade unit, I confirmed the accuracy with a rollo-wheel and a calibrated steel tape. 350' remains my longest (other than a freak roller). I applaude those that can throw farther than me and I know there are many people who can, but more aften than not a claim of 400'+ drive as an average shot is a lot of BS in my opinion.

Where are you from? Here in MI, everyone can throw over 400ft. seriously.
I think as long as courses are being designed and adjusted to require accuracy then faster and longer gliding discs can never be a bad thing. There are not many things more satisfying in life than getting a good snap on a disc and watching it sail. Except watching it land in a strategically favorable spot with a good look at the basket or the rest of the fairway. Nobody will ever be able to do that consistently without skill, practice, experience, etc...
You still need to be able to get those high speed discs up to their required speeds. I still throw my Leopard further than the Nuke (about 100 metres./330 ft), so the technology isnt helping me, i need to improve my form.
When i first started playing; I guess due to ignorance; I bought a Magnet, Buzz, and an Xl Driver. The putter and mid felt similar to a regular Frisbee and I was able to control them well, but had to work on distance. The XL, even though a neutraly stable disc, would turn left almost from the start. I didn't stop throwing the XL, because the disc was doing its job, I figured I just was throwing it flat enough. More ingnorance, It wasn't the flatness of my throw, it was that I wasn't getting enough speed to get the disc on plane.

Rather than stop using the XL, I did what was needed to get my arm speed up to throw a driver. For a while I had to aim right of the target and let the disc hyzer toward the bassket, but it wasn't long before I was throw hard and flat enough for the disc to fly straight out to about 280'.

I bought a faster more stable disc (Avenger) thinking I would get more D at this point, more ignorance, but it was back to aiming right and letting the disc hyzer in until I got the arm speed up more. It wasn't long before I discovered that you could buy discs that where understable and this changed my ability to throw a driver significantly. It worked great for a while; more ignorance; throwing an understable flat and hard will eventually result in a disc that turns over right and doesn't come back. i learned what a hyzer flip was really quickly and how to throw it correctly.

I think my ignorance worked to my advantage in the long run. It gave me a determination to figure out what I was doing wrong and build toward the day that I could throw each disc in a proper fashion and at the correct speed needed to make it function. I learned hard and flat from the start and that has stuck with me to the point that I drive with my putter and mids on a lot of holes. I learned how to turn over a shot that needs to stay right. I learned how to hyzer flip and a disc, especially understable ones that I can get big 'S' shots out of. I am now throwing more overstable discs for even bigger distances. I know when to switch discs for reguires distances and really work my shot selection.

The truth is, the disc doesn't lie, it will tell you what you need to work on.
A Big Thank You should go out to my disc shop "Discovering the World" in Buena Park, CA for sending me down the right path. They are very nice people, and have always been there to help me with disc selection and encouragement. Nothing beats a good local shop for advice and a lot of hard work on your part.
I just throw what works best for myself. Always Experiment but not during Tournaments !!!
Definately nothing new going into a tournament, would just add anxiety to the situation and you don't need to ruin a good time right.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968