www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

i have an assignment to write an article for a tourist oriented magazine in west michigan. The article will include Grand Haven, Holland and Saugatuck. I am interested in comments on the play and wuality of courses in this area.

Any comment on where to get equipment or rent it for a family. What do you advise for a tourist family who want to get out and play?

Any other comments are appreciated.

Skip

Tags: equipment, finding, michigan, starting, up, west

Views: 112

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My wife has a summer home in the area and we have played both courses.

This store is close to the Holland course:

http://www.hollandoutpost.com/gear/day-adventure-activities/

I am not endorsing the store.  I have never been in there.  The owner might be a good local resource.

The Holland course is more beginner friendly than the course in Saugatuck.  It is carved out of piney woods and is very shady in the summer.  It is 18 holes, par 54.  Advanced players should expect to be well under par.

The Saugatuck course offers a better challenge for serious players.  It plays across wooded and grassy duneland.  It offers some great elevation shots and has a good mix of long and short holes.  It would be too challenging to be fun for a family with frisbees, but all levels of players seem to enjoy playing this course with golf discs. 

The gas station near the course on the Blue Star Highway might have golf discs, but you'd have to call or stop by to be sure. 

Both courses are free to play.  The local disc golfers have always been helpful and friendly whenever we've had trouble finding the next hole. 

id just write how awsome the sport is and try to get newcomers through the article. And tell them the courses around there are top notch

Contact Terry"the pirate" calhoun or son Ben on this site.

Mark Ellis is another Michiagn disc golf informative soul.

For Saugatuck info, you want to contact Ben Barton. Email me at disc13207@gmail.com for his information. 

"The sport is growing so fast that you probably won't be the only ones out there playing for the first time."

I had an opportunity to play a few of the holes at the Felt Mansion a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if this is considered Saugatuck or not. We were passing through and didn't have time to play the whole course but the holes I did play were interesting and challenging. The grounds were also beautiful and non disc golfers would have stuff to do and explore while you play the course. There is also a state park next door with a beech area on Lake Michigan. Disc golf was free but there is an entry fee for the State Park and to tour the Felt Mansion.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968