www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've been working on my drives for many years now, only incorporating the X-Step and Power-Grip recently back in 2009. I've read many instructional articles and watched many videos, and have played with some big-arm players picking up a few tips here and there.

My average drive is 285'-300' and pretty accurate. My longest is 340' and only happened once.

I'm 55 years old and 5' 8" tall. I am coming to the conclusion that this is maximum distance for me.

I am pretty happy with it and actually think it's pretty darn good, until I watch some young guns that toss it out there 400+, including my son who is 29 and 6' tall.

I was just curious what others are throwing for an "average" drive and whether you think 300' is a "respectable distance" for this old guy.

Views: 655

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Definitely counting scorecards....
NICE! Congrats!!

I suppose thats why the "Maxing out at 300 feet" post over on DGR is the most viewed topic in the techniques section.

There aren't that many people just pulling out the old 450 footer anytime they want. I have played with 1, maybe 2 guys that can throw that kinda distance whenever they want to. And....to do it on course while shaping the shot, yikes.

Will I ever hit that kinda distance someday, probably not. I do have plenty of flaws in my technique to clean up that would definately bring more distance, but I may just have too many physical limitations to achieve that rare air.

lol

Depends on where I am at.....in Montana it was easy to throw 400+ and 600+ downhill....here in Missouri it is difficult to get much out past 375 or so...with the occasional 400+ footer.

I'm 25 going to be 26 next month and I have been playing for 4 years, and only reach about 325-350 with my drives. Alot of people are about the distance but I would rather be safe than sorry.
Nice thread, Im 36 and have been playing for 2 years. Dont have the strongest arm, I average about 85 metres (295ft), with the big ones getting to 100 metres (330ft). I'm a little concerned that as my technique improves father time will just take the distance away, but this thread makes it seem very plausible that +400 can be achieved for the next 15 years.

Most definately. In searching for a consistant 400', what has actually happened is a really solid line at 350'. I can throw turnover to fade at 380, and a consistant 330' turning over all the way for an accurate shot. I don't throw 400' any old time I want, but I do hit those shots from 330-380 whether they need turnover, fade, or straight driving lines.

On longer days, that extend into 36+ holes is when i feel 44 years old.

my average seems to be 220 to 250 foot drives.    i have only been playing for about five months, am 6' tall, 29, and like to throw 171 and havier discs. hoping to improve that number soon though!
I agree; although being longer does help you hold the lines better on shorter distances. For instance, you have 325-350 power, if a hole plays 300', with your power it wouldn't matter wheter its a left to right shot or right to left shot. You have the power to turn a shot over up to 300ft easy.

Read my earlier post.

You know when throwing for long distances, everyone kinda fudges the numbers they say they can throw. This is one of the reasons distance is a touchy subject. One of the other reasons is it becomes a macho thing, like your more of a man or better than the next guy because you can throw farther. But....I love that there is kind of an age component attached to this post, it gives hope that anyone can learn to throw furhter than they thought in the beginning, and do it for a long time. Thanks David

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968