www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

My dad injured his knee last summer and started disc golf in january. he normally just stands and throws with no approach. he has lately showed interest in learning the approach for the backhand. i, bieng a forehander am not suited to teach him. any help would be appreaciated

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Discraft has the best instructional videos around.

http://www.discraft.com/vid/html/mediaplayer.html
Discraft or youtube has some good video's. Also discgolfreview.com has instructional articles as well as video's. For me, the latter choice helped me the most when I first started.
Play catch with a putter. This will give you a lot of really good practice. A fan grip and some spin on the disc will make it go straight. Try hyzer and anhyzer throws too. It's all arm, maybe a small step into it. Vary the distance and you can get the feel for these up shot distances you then need on the course. If you have an actual frisbee, play catch with that first.
He already does practice alot of shots that you posted but doesnt understand how to execute the approach
Know what an "air bounce" shot is?
I'm not sure he's talking about the approach shot so much as the approach meaning run-up. In that case, he'd find some videos worthwhile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo&playnext_from=TL&...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIxTFpPi698#t=6m24s
Oh, footwork? Yeah need to see and learn an X-Step for maximum power for drives to get your arm to reach straight behind you.
innova used to have that downloadable file. GO to Innova's site, go to downloads. then go to throwing techniques. there you can find backhand and forehand. PDf files!
A backhand run-up is the opposite of what you do on a forehand run-up.

Run-ups take practice to master the timing of but will give added distance. At first your Dad will likely lose accuracy using a run-up. With practice that accuracy will return. The run-up takes a lot of strain off the shoulder and arm. It uses the body's forward momentum and involves the core muscles into the throw. Much of the power of a good backhand shot comes from the legs, hips and torso.

Start with a single step (as opposed to the "stand and deliver" technique he uses currently.) When he can do that comfortably, move to a 3 step run-up (called an X Step). No matter how many steps a player takes in his run-up, the last three steps are the same.

I could describe the 3 steps but a video does a much better job. Have your Dad watch a player using an X step and mimic it. The sequence is : Right foot forward. Left foot crosses behind. Right foot forward. Throw.

Good luck
That's true Mark, but in that long distance video that I saw you starring in the guys do an extra hop which is not part of the X-step. I wouldn't recommend that for the casual player, but it is a variation on the X-step where the body is flung forward with an extra step for max distance. The whole body actually pushes forward off that back foot and an extra step is involved.

Since I am a semi-weenie arm who turns 50 this year I have given up on trying to crush it like that. I tried that for about a week to no avail.
Ever done the electric slide? Grapevine and reach back and rip it!
Nice analogy! Hilarious.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968